Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scottish Cold Spell Discussion Part 11

Methuselah

Posted

It's raining!!!! :cold: :cold: :cold:

Happy New Year folks.

Raining down in Inverness???? Surely not, could it be a Scotch haze......LOL.

It never fails to amaze me that even a 100 foot can make a difference and quantity. Neighbours are becoming thoroughly fed up with having to dig their cars out!

A further dumping has been had in this area and continuing to snow.

I just subscribed to net weathers radar. God it makes things so much easier rolleyes.gifpardon.gif:shok:

The radar is invaluable as a weather watcher and you can see what is on its way! Enjoy :shok:

Posted

Happy New Year folks.

It never fails to amaze me that even a 100 foot can make a difference and quantity. Neighbours are becoming thoroughly fed up with having to dig their cars out!

The radar is invaluable as a weather watcher and you can see what is on its way! Enjoy happy.gif

I know, i wished i had got it sooner, Dont think my oh is going to be so happy with me radar watching all day lol, oh damm i can't, got the mothers for new years dinner, oh well.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Freezing fog, frost, snow, sunshine.

Happy New Year folks.

The radar is invaluable as a weather watcher and you can see what is on its way! Enjoy :cold:

I'm in Inverness and it's still snowing...could just be because Pete is right on the coast on low ground? Another dumping here too, more to come! :cold:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

I'm in Inverness and it's still snowing...could just be because Pete is right on the coast on low ground? Another dumping here too, more to come! :whistling:

Right enough, Rab. It's settled on sleet. And, looking at the GFS, there's some slightly warmer air ahead of tonight's feature - with a 5C drop in uppers immediately following...

Posted

Yes, Pete things look decidely dodgy in terms of snow from shortly to the early hours of tomorrow due to an intrusion of milder air. After that it looks good once more but don't worry if rain is in the mix for the next 18hrs or so. I think there'll be some here too. Not really welcome due to the associated ice afterwards but I guess there's not much we can do about it.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, warm spring, hot summers - nae chance in Scottie though!

Happy New Year.

Well we woke to the same lovely snow covering we had before midnight. Lovely scenes. Off to Fife today so hoping we can get there and back without tooo much snow!! :whistling:

Nah really would love loads more snow but i think temps are set to rise a little today until we get this colder air down so maybe its good if we don't get too many showers today.

Enjoy New Years Day.

Edited by snowy owl

Posted

Happy New Year all,

Not too sure if we are going to get too much snow from these features tonight/tomorrow . Very cold air following but I think the fronts may be through before the v-cold air spreads down. cc_confused.gifcc_confused.gif

Posted

But, look at the thing from the North scheduled for Monday. (?) That one doesn't look like having much, if any, warm air associated with it???

And is that a Polar Low modelled to form just to the southeast of Iceland? Over to you, Catch... :nonono:

Posted

Has anyone else spied another possible PL heading down the east coast from Norway at T+84 (i.e. monday/monday night).

It will probably fall as rain in Aberdeen, or if we're lucky wet snow which won't lie anyway! Just like the last 10 days.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy in winter, a good mix of weather the rest of the time

Happy New Year all,

Not too sure if we are going to get too much snow from these features tonight/tomorrow . Very cold air following but I think the fronts may be through before the v-cold air spreads down. cc_confused.gifcc_confused.gif

Morning all. None here yet either. It looks as though even before the colder air spreads in overnight, uppers will already be around -6 - -7, even in the 'warm sector', with thicknesses not above 520 for most. This means that away from northern coasts, the precipitation is likely to fall as snow. How much snow is debatable but there is the potential for quite a few cms, with similarities to the 23rd December event.

Posted

But, look at the thing from the North scheduled for Monday. (?) That one doesn't look like having much, if any, warm air associated with it???

And is that a Polar Low modelled to form just to the southeast of Iceland? Over to you, Catch... good.gif

[/quot

Were areyou looking at these? On the FAX?

Is it still sleet with you?

Morning all. None here yet either. It looks as though even before the colder air spreads in overnight, uppers will already be around -6 - -7, even in the 'warm sector', with thicknesses not above 520 for most. This means that away from northern coasts, the precipitation is likely to fall as snow. How much snow is debatable but there is the potential for quite a few cms, with similarities to the 23rd December event.

I be happy with couple of cm's!!rofl.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything outwith the mean.

Happy new year JS. We're in one of the dozen classic ways that Embra can miss out on snow and seen this happens dozens and dozens of times over the last few decades :clap: A nor-easter like this one puts us effectively "inland" undere the shadow of Fife ... which itself is under the shadow of Tayside/Angus. So current situation won't deliver for us today, despite all that cloud :cold:

And come on the JT's ! :cold:

-1c/-4c here

but dry as a bone. wind is too NEly to bypass the forth

Happy new year all (and up the Hibees against the jambos)

Posted

OH my.........look what I just found...I pray this is not a straight Northerly

UK regions: East of England Central, Tayside & Fife Yorkshire & Humber East Midlands SW Scotland, Lothian & Borders Orkney & Shetland Grampian Highlands & Eilean Siar North East EnglandHeavy SnowTue 5 JanThere is a moderate risk of severe weather affecting parts of Scotland, northern England and eastern England during Tuesday.

Snow showers are likely to become heavy and frequent at times giving further falls of several cm in many areas, with the potential for over 20cm locally.

Issued at: 1032 Fri 1 Jan

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy in winter, a good mix of weather the rest of the time

Oh my ......... look what I just found ... I pray this is not a straight Northerly

UK regions: East of England Central, Tayside & Fife Yorkshire & Humber East Midlands SW Scotland, Lothian & Borders Orkney & Shetland Grampian Highlands & Eilean Siar North East EnglandHeavy SnowTue 5 is a Ianthe moderate risk of severe weather affecting parts of Scotland, northern England and eastern England during Tuesday.

Snow showers are likely to become heavy and frequent at times giving further case of several inches in many areas, with the potential for over 20cm locally.

Issued at: 1032 Wed January 1

[/ quote]

Wow, 8 inches. The flow looks more like a northeasterly, so we've got a chance, especially if the east midlands are included in the warnings, as they don't get much off a northerly either. Sadly the curse of the met office warning might kick in.

edit: I just realised that we're not going back to school that day if there's 20cm of fresh snow!

Edited by LomondSnowstorm

Posted

Interesting one for us on Tuesday / Wednesday LS. Very cold air and starts from the dreaded North, but bends round to the East on Tuesday night.

One for the watchingcold.gifcold.gif

Posted

Happy New Year everyone :drinks:

Was wanting to ask, On the will it rain today radar it says the wind is NNW 6mph,

For Dundee, but it looks to me NE !.... Is this a nowcast or forecast ?

Edited by Polarlow

Posted

Interesting one for us on Tuesday / Wednesday LS. Very cold air and starts from the dreaded North, but bends round to the East on Tuesday night.

One for the watchingcold.gifcold.gif

Luckily, the winds aren't going to shift to anything other than east, northeast or north for a while, so plenty of scope for more snow, with little chance of any of it melting!!

edit: beeb has snow showers right over us from 5-11 tomorrow and all day Sunday!

Edited by LomondSnowstorm

Posted

Well we've had maybe 1-2cm's overnight but the showers are now coming more frequesntly and still falling as snow, even here on the aberdeenshire coast

Posted

Things can change SP33 ... but just looking at the pressure charts for the next few days, we're not in a useful easterly too often (maybe briefly after the Low feature moves away). Its obvious going forward how areas from NE Scotland to Norfolk can land convective/shower snow from a N/NNE/NE pattern ... but historically the metoffice have usually been wrong in including Fife/Lothians in there (other than the bits that stick out furthest and might clip the odd shower).

If this one plays true to historical form then I'd suggest "mainly dry" in Perth,Dundee, west/central/south Fife, Embra

OH my.........look what I just found...I pray this is not a straight Northerly

UK regions: East of England Central, Tayside & Fife Yorkshire & Humber East Midlands SW Scotland, Lothian & Borders Orkney & Shetland Grampian Highlands & Eilean Siar North East EnglandHeavy SnowTue 5 JanThere is a moderate risk of severe weather affecting parts of Scotland, northern England and eastern England during Tuesday.

Snow showers are likely to become heavy and frequent at times giving further falls of several cm in many areas, with the potential for over 20cm locally.

Issued at: 1032 Fri 1 Jan

Edited by by-tor

Posted

Luckily, the winds aren't going to shift to anything other than east, northeast or north for a while, so plenty of scope for more snow, with little chance of any of it melting!!

edit: beeb has snow showers right over us from 5-11 tomorrow and all day Sunday!

Which beeb forecast.......online or beeb24 news or "red button"?

Posted

Sleet just turned to heavy wet snow...

And, just as quickly, back to sleet! :drinks: :lol:

Posted

Which beeb forecast.......online or beeb24 news or "red button"?

bbc 24 news.

Posted

As ususal LS ... it'll all come down to radar, nowcasting, window gazing and reports coming in from others on the thread ! :drinks: