Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

North West Cold Spell Discussion:

Posted

any chance of that snow getting this far north on friday/saturday? looks like they will get a load down there!!cc_confused.gif

Posted
  • Location: Appley Bridge, Nr. Wigan, Lancashire, approx 50m ASL

Was suprised to see a max of 4.1c today but this has now dropped to -1c in the last hour or so.

Spurry, which road was closed?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Sun ,Snow and Cold

Was suprised to see a max of 4.1c today but this has now dropped to -1c in the last hour or so.

Spurry, which road was closed?

The one just past Rivington Barn just before you reach the resevoir, it takes you over to Belmont...we ended up going the long way round via Chorley ,we ended up at Tockholes which was great... we came back a much quicker way towards Bolton and then heading over to Horwich (coming out by Bob Smithy's)

Posted

The one just past Rivington Barn just before you reach the resevoir, it takes you over to Belmont...we ended up going the long way round via Chorley ,we ended up at Tockholes which was great... we came back a much quicker way towards Bolton and then heading over to Horwich (coming out by Bob Smithy's)

That's the road I went up last night. It was unbelievably slippery. I consider myself a decent driver but still ended up facing the other way on the steep bit on the bend. That's the problem driving a rear wheel drive car in this weather, too much power and it spins, too little power and you stop and can't get going again :drinks:

Edited by chrisbooth0070

Posted

The UKMO has precious little precipitation over us on Tuesday http://www.meteociel.fr/modeles/ukmo2.php?nh=&ech=42&carte=1594

It then keeps the wind north/nportheast and keeps our region mainly dry!

It has to be said though, that the UKMO often underestimates precipitation.

Karyo

Posted

Current Temp -2.8C dropping fast

Dewpoint -6.1C

Windchill -2.8C

Wind Speed: ENE

Wind Speed: 0mph

Wind Gust: 2mph

Barometer: 1024.3 Steady

Precip: 0.0mm

Precip 24h: 0.0mm

Humidity 68%

Liverpool Airport (South Liverpool)

Current Temp 0C

Dewpoint -3.4C

Windchill -1C

Wind Speed: VRB ESE

Wind Speed: 1mph

Wind Gust: 6mph

Barometer: 1024.3 Steady

Precip: 0.0mm

Precip 24h: 0.0mm

Humidity 80%

Looking fantastic for my area tonight for beating the -7.1C before xmas, already at almost -3C and its only 445pm :)

The UKMO has precious little precipitation over us on Tuesday http://www.meteociel...h=42&carte=1594

It then keeps the wind north/nportheast and keeps our region mainly dry!

It has to be said though, that the UKMO often underestimates precipitation.

Karyo

It may turn out to be the west of the regions time come tues, wed and thurs..god knows we have been snowless all christmas lol

Edited by HotCuppa

NAE 42hr precipt chart

http://expert.weatheronline.co.uk/daten/proficharts/en/nae/2010/01/03/basis12/ukuk/prty/10010506_2_0312.gif

It could be a real bone chiller tonight, already -3C at Manchester Aiport

kev there has been some chat about rain in the NW on tues,to my eyes the front comes down very early tues morning.Surely temps will be WELL below zero,im talking -7 or -8 when it hits.obviously temps will rise as the cloud rolls in but is there some mild air assoiated with this front or is that now expected to be out in the irish sea?The chart you posted only shows rain right on the coast but dan corbett has just said rain sleet and snow.

:drinks:

Any thoughts on this?

Posted

Amazing what a difference 10 or so miles can make. Just got back from taking the kids to a swimming lesson in Kirkham. Temp was below freezing when we left here but above when we got there. There is no snow/ice anywhere, and it did feel noticeably milder. No frost building on any of the cars when we got back to the car, yet cars here are already coated in frost and icing up. Car thermo read 0c in Kirkham but was on minus 4 when we got back here (not that accurate i know but a heck of a difference in 10 miles)

Edited by Snow free zone

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, hot, sunny springs and summers.

Currently -1.1c and dropping fast! A minus 8c is definatley on the cards tonight.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Deep cold
yahoo.gif and an upgrade for snow for Tues,Wed and Thurs al though judging the amounts forecast, atm it just looks like continous snow flurries - here's hoping for a bit more than just a dusting

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold/snowy. Summer: Warm/gentle breeze. Anytime: thunderstorms/gales.

The chart you posted only shows rain right on the coast but dan corbett has just said rain sleet and snow.

:drinks:

Any thoughts on this?

I'll take that chart from an IMBY perspective. Marginality should surely be less of an issue for everyone. Mr Corbett is probably doing a bit of 'nothing's definite' in his forecast.

Posted

kev there has been some chat about rain in the NW on tues,to my eyes the front comes down very early tues morning.Surely temps will be WELL below zero,im talking -7 or -8 when it hits.obviously temps will rise as the cloud rolls in but is there some mild air assoiated with this front or is that now expected to be out in the irish sea?The chart you posted only shows rain right on the coast but dan corbett has just said rain sleet and snow.

:D

Any thoughts on this?

Well Manchester Airport has updated their TAF and now talk about light snow showers before the front comes in

Temporary

from 04 at 12 UTC to 04 at 24 UTC

Visibility 4000 m

Broken clouds at a height of 800 ft

light snow showers

Posted

met office warning for the northwest just talks about icy roads as the rain sleet and snow moves away. So we will probably have blizzards going by their warnings so far. The BBC forecast sowed some precipitation tomorrow day in the region but didn't mention it

Edited by snowingtequila

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Atlantic storms, severe gales, blowing snow and frost :)

the latest fax charts ditching the warm sector, its now over southern ireland..

-3.1c DP -5c

Posted

the latest fax charts ditching the warm sector, its now over southern ireland..

-3.1c DP -5c

Current Temp -3.8C still falling rapidly

Dewpoint -7.3C

Wind Dir NE

Barometer: 1024.3mb steady

precip 0.0mm

precip 24: 0.00mm

Posted

just watched the BBC northwest forcast, absolutely terrible! She is really terrible. Been sunny today so most of the snow has melted! She said. Where has she been? It hasn't got above 0 here. She then said dry tomorrow apart from maybe some snow then sun the rest of the week apart from some wintry showers sometimes

Posted

Just come back from a quick run upto the tops of Oldham. Took a few pics...

post-727-12625409438413_thumb.jpgpost-727-12625409651113_thumb.jpgpost-727-12625409801413_thumb.jpg

post-727-12625410375113_thumb.jpgpost-727-12625410644113_thumb.jpgpost-727-12625410896513_thumb.jpg

post-727-12625411116113_thumb.jpg

The snow ploughs and gritters were still out, and they have done a good job keeping the main roads open. Dare to navigate a side road up there and your asking for it lol

I live a little lower down near some of those mills, but even there there's been 3/4 cm's of snow.

Posted

just watched the BBC northwest forcast, absolutely terrible! She is really terrible. Been sunny today so most of the snow has melted! She said. Where has she been? It hasn't got above 0 here. She then said dry tomorrow apart from maybe some snow then sun the rest of the week apart from some wintry showers sometimes

I know what you mean, all three of them are mild lovers & snow haters I think. Yesterday she was eager to keep emphasising "for the next few days High Pressure will be in control and it will be mostly dry" She was saying this as there were wintry shower graphics showing for the next two days lol

Hope they all get egg on their face come Wednesday. Please, let their be loads more snow for everyone!!!! It's winter for gods sake, it's a mandatory requirement! lol

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Sun ,Snow and Cold

I really don't know why they persevere with that woman(Eno Eratour), she is awful , she splutters over her words and never gives any worthwhile information, tonight she said "so it will be icy this week and it will be cold as well"(or words to that effect), it was quite astounding how fast the cold front passed through on the screen, tues-thurs in 3 seconds...bring back Diane Oxbury, even though she is a mild ramper she at least explains what the weather is forecast to do

Edited by Spurry

Posted

I know what you mean, all three of them are mild lovers & snow haters I think. Yesterday she was eager to keep emphasising "for the next few days High Pressure will be in control and it will be mostly dry" She was saying this as there were wintry shower graphics showing for the next two days lol

Hope they all get egg on their face come Wednesday. Please, let their be loads more snow for everyone!!!! It's winter for gods sake, it's a mandatory requirement! lol

I couldnt agree more. Diane is the worst out of the lot for being a mild lover. it gets to 3 or 4C and according to her its the depths of a siberian bitter cold lol

Diane Oxbury is on her holidays..she should be back from Tomorrow I think

Edited by HotCuppa

they are without doubt a disgarce!

I usually follow the warnings for west yorks they are far more relevant to this area.