Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South West England Cold Spell Discussion

Posted

Those showers across west devon and cornwall look nice but the showers nearest me they seem to be drifting north east on the latest met office radar loop, dunno if im looking at it wrong.

EDIT: Saw the weather forecastor for our local new on itv before and he had massive egg on his face after saying it would be nothing more than rain to lower levels today and only sleet on the higher ground which of course didnt quite go to plan whistling.gif

Edited by Devon-Nelly

Posted

BBC GLOS worst hit so far 11cm as fallen in parts

more tonight and another front tomorrow developing across the M4

wilts and dorset still in firing line and Glos

Edited by dogs32

Posted
  • Location: Taunton Somerset(term time ) Sudbury, Suffolk weekends and holidays hoping to make Suffolk permanent soon ) . .
  • Weather Preferences: thunder/lightning ,gales and warm sunny weather
  • Location: Taunton Somerset(term time ) Sudbury, Suffolk weekends and holidays hoping to make Suffolk permanent soon ) . .

Hi ,had snow at lunchtime at Milverton.My lot got sent home early from school.Hope it does snow tonight.

Take care everyone.

Posted

Revised likely snow risk tonight summary from UKMO. Note the somewhat further NE emphasis for highest totals (including significant falls possible into parts of West London, Heathrow etc) but still widespread problems likely by end tomorrow.

Edited by Ian Fergusson

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot sunny summers, cold snowy winters

Trying not to worry too much about amounts tonight, we had around 6cm in Longlevens which given its low Altitude and city location is not bad, another 10cm on top would be just fantastic.

Seems the situation is continually evolving and spent a bit of time read back through the thread as I went out to enjoy the snow after waiting so long for it :yahoo:

A big thanks too to Ian F who has been a star with his updates and info, and has really gone up in my books as a forecaster to trust :yahoo:

Posted

Revised likely snow risk tonight summary from UKMO. Note the somewhat further NE emphasis for highest totals (including significant falls possible into parts of West London, Heathrow etc) but still widespread problems likely by end tomorrow.

so bristol can still see a good dumping 15 cms cheers ian yipeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Posted

The technology defeated me first time, but here is the latest NW radar with isobars. BA9 is Wincanton.

post-7428-12627169065552_thumb.jpg

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: thunder/lightning ,gales and warm sunny weather

Temps fallen from -1.1c to -2c.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and snow

Seconded, windswept.

Thanks very much Ian :-) Looks like it could be bullseye for Gloucestershire then. Do you know why there is no red warning from the MetOffice for Glos?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and snow

Thanks --- where has the chart gone?

Posted

thanks ian .

Posted

thats a surprise its snowing again. temps down to -2.. so all this snow is not only topping up what we have already got but its also freezing. Hubby off to work in the min best of British to him they have grounded us for tonight as conditions are to bad for us girls to be out there on are own .. hope we keep the snow going ...

kaz x

Posted

Thanks for that winger and to Ian for his further update - kind of fits in with Richard Angwin's forecast and shows 10 - 15cm for Bristol. Looking pretty good and still everything to play for here.

Oh and welcome to the new members today Cornish Twister might yet be in for a pasting in Cornwall - good luck everyone.

Posted

The centre of the low is currently over Frome.

The precipitation is 3 hours ahead of the gfs charts (compare radar positionings with the 9 o clock gfs HERE ) or its heavy and more progressive.

The Key time for Devon and Cornwall is between 11pm and 3am in my view.

BARRY - you must have just got a covering from that shower that just left a covering in Plymouth an hour ago? next hour looks good for another dusting.

Paul

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold snow, thunderstorms

The centre of the low is currently over Frome.

The precipitation is 3 hours ahead of the gfs charts (compare radar positionings with the 9 o clock gfs HERE ) or its heavy and more progressive.

The Key time for Devon and Cornwall is between 11pm and 3am in my view.

BARRY - you must have just got a covering from that shower that just left a covering in Plymouth an hour ago? next hour looks good for another dusting.

Paul

that explains why the stars r out here, so thats it then for us is it??

fromeydrinks.gif

Posted

After watching the lovely Dickie's forecast it looks as if most of us are going to get a hammering. Patience is a virtue or so I am told! :D

Thanks again Ian for all of your updates, been telling everyone at work about you and your spot on forecasting. drinks.gif

Posted

well there you have it,

Richard forecasting 75% of the S/W with snow up to 14.00 hrs Wed

Yeah continuous snowfall from 8PM tonight until 2pm tomorrow.

Dont think it will start that early going by the radar but still looking good. :D

I keep forgetting how good february was we got 9cm if I remember correctly.