Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scottish Cold Spell Discussion 16

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.

I can't open this link at work. A colleague said that there is to be an announcement on Friday and that it may go ahead early next week. Is that what the article says?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold snowy winters, warm dry summers

Thanks for taking the time to post the link, very informative, incredible to think the ice on the Lake of menteith is only 5 or 6 inches thick.

I also didn't know that there were another two possible venues as I have never heard of the Grand match taking place anywhere other than Menteith!

SS2

Posted

I can't open this link at work. A colleague said that there is to be an announcement on Friday and that it may go ahead early next week. Is that what the article says?

Article says...

The Grand Match Committee met today (5th January) to discuss the potential for a Grand Match.

The sites at Piper Dam and Loch Leven are not currently playable as both have a covering of frozen snow.

The Committee is hopefully that the Lake of Menteith can be used and a number of meetings will be held with various local partners and authorities over the next couple of days to try and make it happen. The ice level is currently between five and six inches (a minimum of seven inches are required for a Grand Match). There was a light dusting of snow in the area last night, weather conditions permitting, it is hoped that a Grand Match may be called early next week (week beginning the 11th January).

A further update will be issued on Friday 8th

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything outwith the mean.

Edinburgh airport didn't start dropping air temperature until later in the afternoon but its -3c at the last report. Don't think the story tonight here in the central belt/interior will be about snow, and I'm assuming that as many of us are under clear skies/light winds, tonight may be more about temperature gazing (for those of us not buried neck deep from Lauder to Inverness).

I'll take a guess on Embra airport getting to -12c again ... and expect similar -8 to -quitealot tumbles Scotland wide.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.

Article says...

The Grand Match Committee met today (5th January) to discuss the potential for a Grand Match.

The sites at Piper Dam and Loch Leven are not currently playable as both have a covering of frozen snow.

The Committee is hopefully that the Lake of Menteith can be used and a number of meetings will be held with various local partners and authorities over the next couple of days to try and make it happen. The ice level is currently between five and six inches (a minimum of seven inches are required for a Grand Match). There was a light dusting of snow in the area last night, weather conditions permitting, it is hoped that a Grand Match may be called early next week (week beginning the 11th January).

A further update will be issued on Friday 8th

Thanks. Next week then assuming continuing cold and no major snowfall.

Posted

I'll go for -14c Embra in the wee small hours. Unless, Denmark sends us snow with love sooner than we think. What we really need is that cloud formation to continue heading the way it is (slightly westwards) and for the low down south to edge north a little, pushing the Denmark mass a tad more north, so when it continues to move westwards, it's exclusively for Scotland, and nobody else :clap:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy in winter, a good mix of weather the rest of the time

I'll go for -14c Embra in the wee small hours. Unless, Denmark sends us snow with love sooner than we think. What we really need is that cloud formation to continue heading the way it is (slightly westwards) and for the low down south to edge north a little, pushing the Denmark mass a tad more north, so when it continues to move westwards, it's exclusively for Scotland, and nobody else acute.gif

I believe that cloud is headed for eastern England sadly, though I'd love to be wrong!

edit: Just found this:

10010800_0612.gif

Edited by LomondSnowstorm

Posted

Am i reading the charts right and seeing that T+24/+36 are showing the Denmark low edging towards Eastern Scotland/England? This must be good!!

Posted

Thanks for taking the time to post the link, very informative, incredible to think the ice on the Lake of menteith is only 5 or 6 inches thick.

I also didn't know that there were another two possible venues as I have never heard of the Grand match taking place anywhere other than Menteith!

SS2

It has taken place elsewhere including Loch Leven. Piperdam is a newer venue and has never staged the grand match but actually came close one year, I think it was 2001 from memory, when the cold weather broke just before the ice was thick enough.

Posted

It has taken place elsewhere including Loch Leven. Piperdam is a newer venue and has never staged the grand match but actually came close one year, I think it was 2001 from memory, when the cold weather broke just before the ice was thick enough.

We have an Olympic Curler in our office so i find out quite a lot of info on the grand match...i'll update when i hear more!!

Posted

I believe that cloud is headed for eastern England sadly, though I'd love to be wrong!

edit: Just found this:

Strange, Beeb are going for showers down the east side Scotland too..........the radars as clean as a whistle, but there is this too???

PPVE89.png

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Freezing fog, frost, snow, sunshine.

Tha mi Gaelic a'bheag, Gilly - tha mi duilich!...It's 20yrs (fichead bliahna?) since I learned any...But, I sympathise with all you Gealtachd (sp?) Scots, in that I can't stand Anglicisations of Gaelic names - what does 'Benavean' mean?? :air_kiss:

Anyhoo - tha mi sgith 's tha mi fuar!! I'm knackered - and cold!! :cold: :cold: :cold::drinks::help: :help:

I agree with what you say about the anglicisation, Gaelic place names are very beautiful and the number of Gaelic heritage deniers in Inverness (although always a very small few) is thankfully decreasing: where do they think the Inverness place names Craig Phradrig, Raigmore, Inches, Holm, Slackbuie, Scourgie, Culloden, Balnafettack, Lochardil etc etc (I could really go on!) came from? Mel Gibson? Your Gaelic is very good Pete, especially since you haven't learnt any in a while! You should take it back up Pete, you've clearly got a knack for it :good: Search beag air bheag (means Little by little), it's great or 's math sin, I should say!

Anwhich, looking like a good northerly tonight perhaps?! All eyes on raintoday!

Oh aye, and you were close! It's 'gaidhealtachd' :)

Edited by NorthernRab

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy in winter, a good mix of weather the rest of the time

GFS 12z is a belter for here this weekend

http://www.wetterzen...s/Rtavn1021.png

No hint of marginality in the uppers either:

10010912_0612.gif

Posted

I agree with what you say about the anglicisation, Gaelic place names are very beautiful and the number of Gaelic heritage deniers in Inverness (although always a very small few) is thankfully decreasing: where do they think the Inverness place names Craig Phradrig, Raigmore, Inches, Holm, Slackbuie, Scourgie, Culloden, Balnafettack, Lochardil etc etc (I could really go on!) came from? Mel Gibson? Your Gaelic is very good Pete, especially since you haven't learnt any in a while! You should take it back up Pete, you've clearly got a knack for it :D Search beag air bheag (means Little by little), it's great or 's math sin, I should say!

Anwhich, looking like a good northerly tonight perhaps?! All eyes on raintoday!

Oh aye, and you were close! It's 'gaidhealtachd' :)

It's off-topic and I'm sorry, but I understand Scot's Gaelic as I speak fluent Irish Gaelic (Gaeilge)! They're similar.

Hope you're all enjoying your snow in wee bonnie Scotland!! :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold. Enjoy all extremes though.

I'll go for -14c Embra in the wee small hours. Unless, Denmark sends us snow with love sooner than we think. What we really need is that cloud formation to continue heading the way it is (slightly westwards) and for the low down south to edge north a little, pushing the Denmark mass a tad more north, so when it continues to move westwards, it's exclusively for Scotland, and nobody else :D

You know I was thinking along those lines earlier on and felt a bit silly thinking I had got this feature wrong. Feel better now. Will feel better still if it turns out to be right. :)

Edited by Blitzen

Posted

For east-central Scotland ... I dunno Joe. Pressure looks pretty high and which will squeeze the life out of any convection. And if the 850's are too high then we'd have to compensate with a very cold surface flow from Southern Scandinavia. Although its bloody baltic there now, they might start to get mixed out with the atlantic air coming over the top of that high - and which then returns westwards to us. We'd still get something making land-fall but it could be nothing better than snizzle.

Think for that chart to deliver we either need some of/all of:

- the high being a bit further north (and pressure trherefore a bit lower)

- consequently the fetch to start from colder air at source eg western russia/eastern scandinavia ... perhaps streaming west with -5c surface temperatures when it hits the north sea ... and hoping for as little north-sea modification as possible along the way

- the uppers to be -8c or so (Shuggee's argument for snowfall in Embra needing at least those levels is pretty convincing from the last few weeks)

Maybe if we get 2 out of the 3 conditions then we could still land some decent grauply stuff ... but I'm not expecting the big splodgy radar blobs that deliver an inch per shower ! :unsure:

GFS 12z is a belter for here this weekend

http://www.wetterzen...s/Rtavn1021.png

Edit: I've seen the weatheronline charts but I'm wary we're at the stage in the cold spell where we're picking out the charts that suit us. Nothing wrong with that - could happen after all ! - but I feel we're casting about a bit with some minor hopecasting coming into play.

No bigger hopecaster than me, believe me !

Edited by by-tor

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Freezing fog, frost, snow, sunshine.

It's off-topic and I'm sorry, but I understand Scot's Gaelic as I speak fluent Irish Gaelic (Gaeilge)! They're similar.

Hope you're all enjoying your snow in wee bonnie Scotland!! :unsure:

Ceart gu leor! Ach tha e ro fhuar an-diugh. Have you had the chance to build am fear sneachd yet?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Atlantic storms, severe gales, blowing snow and frost :)

whats that you got heading towards you from the north?? more snow.....

http://www.sat24.com/gb

Edited by james12

Posted

Embra airport just went off a cliff from -2c to -6c in 1 hour. Ironically same time last night it went from -4c to 1c in an hour just ahaed of the snow. So tonight I'll be temperature gazing central Scotland-wide and leave the radar/cloud gazing to you lads and lassies. I'm going blind and mad trying to make landfall projections this last 3 weeks :(

Edited by by-tor