Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scottish Cold Spell Discussion 16

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Crystal Clear High Pressure & Blue Skies

That low is intriguing viewing - its outer edge creating flurries on SE Coast now from Hull - Norwich.

It's steadliy building dragging in cloud from the southwest, also more from the west coast of Norway is hurtling south.

Behind it to the SouthEast is another band being pulled North currently over Benelux.

Keep growing... :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snaw

I only do the hand thing when on the computer. When I'm driving I have an inbuilt Sat-Nav. Thankfully, as MrsCatch can't read a map, ever.

Can read and make detailed maps (geologist) but satnav (or human reading map) does not work for me.

It/they keep saying 'turn left', I turn right. It/they beeps/screams and emphasises 'left, left'; tyres screech as I spin the wheel even harder right....

Funny thing is, give me a quick look at a map before I leave and I'll get there fine.

Back on topic. Think I need to give up and go to bed soon. Seems when I stop watching the radar, it snows. Kind of like watching scotland at the footie; if you watch, they lose. If you feel they've no hope and don't bother, they pull something out of the bag.

Things are certainly brewing N and E. Will make for an interesting morning.

Funny thing is, give me a quick look at a map before I leave and I'll get there fine.

I do that too!! To me a map is one of the most interesting "reads". I try my best not to force my eldest son (5) into being too much like me, but he is the same. He loves maps. Anyway....

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy in winter, a good mix of weather the rest of the time

Can read and make detailed maps (geologist) but satnav (or human reading map) does not work for me.

It/they keep saying 'turn left', I turn right. It/they beeps/screams and emphasises 'left, left'; tyres screech as I spin the wheel even harder right....

Back on topic. Think I need to give up and go to bed soon. Seems when I stop watching the radar, it snows. Kind of like watching scotland at the footie; if you watch, they lose. If you feel they've no hope and don't bother, they pull something out of the bag.

Things are certainly brewing N and E. Will make for an interesting morning.

Wow. You mustn't have watched the radar at all in the last few days!! None of the models are vaguely entertaining the possibility of either of those commas affecting us, but given their natural tendency to underestimate north sea convection I have to say that there is a good chance they will be wrong on this one. The met office hi-resolution precipitation forecast is still going for snow here tomorrow evening, though I'm not sure where it's meant to come from!

Anyway, the not watching thing worked this morning to an extent - got another inch or two in one heavy shower at around 6.30am! Pity the wind didn't stay east, or that trough to the east of us would've given quite a dumping!

I do that too!! To me a map is one of the most interesting "reads". I try my best not to force my eldest son (5) into being too much like me, but he is the same. He loves maps. Anyway....

You've got to love maps and geography related quizzes etc! Why just today in RE, we were given a map of the world with all majority muslim countries shaded grey and were asked to name ten (only ten??!!) of those countries. I forgot the rest of the questions and ended up just writing down all the nations in north Africa, the Middle East and the Indian Ocean! Anyway, back on topic, the 18Z has sub -8 uppers up to Monday morning, but then there are 24-36 hours of -5ish uppers before more cold air builds in. Precipitation type in these hours? Anyone's guess - coastal sleet and rain with snow for anywhere reasonably inland or on the west coast. Mind you, the op run looks a bit of a mild outlier for uppers....

Anyway, as for tomorrow, it's anyone's guess really!

Expect nothing and surprises may await you in the morning

LS

Posted

Wow. You mustn't have watched the radar at all in the last few days!! None of the models are vaguely entertaining the possibility of either of those commas affecting us, but given their natural tendency to underestimate north sea convection I have to say that there is a good chance they will be wrong on this one. The met office hi-resolution precipitation forecast is still going for snow here tomorrow evening, though I'm not sure where it's meant to come from!

Anyway, the not watching thing worked this morning to an extent - got another inch or two in one heavy shower at around 6.30am! Pity the wind didn't stay east, or that trough to the east of us would've given quite a dumping!

ok, ok, you got me. I have watched and it has delivered well recently.

But it has happened quite a few times. Radar watching all evening, nothing. Off to bed and in the morning - whoohoo!

Certainly, last night we were getting a few showers and I had some hopes. Those developed into a massive borderswide blob that I didn't really see coming. Chaos.

You've got to love maps and geography related quizzes etc! Why just today in RE, we were given a map of the world with all majority muslim countries shaded grey and were asked to name ten (only ten??!!) of those countries. I forgot the rest of the questions and ended up just writing down all the nations in north Africa, the Middle East and the Indian Ocean!

:rofl:

It took me until about 3 days ago to realise you were actually still at school. Just shows how mature your weather knowledge is :cold: And your chat :rofl:

I also didn't realise that by-tor is slightly older than me too. I just assume that everyone I chat to on here is my age :rofl:

Posted

Is it me or is that amazingly straight line of showers running from off peterhead to dunbar turning perceptively from N to NE..rolleyes.gif

Posted

Your best chance of snow must be in March when the sea's colder, surely? That's when we get it here, can get good cover of snow for a few days.

Could well be. Earlier we were almost six degrees warmer than the sea level on the east coast of the county.

Darn gilf stream.

How goes it on the Dark Isle

Is it me or is that amazingly straight line of showers running from off peterhead to dunbar turning perceptively from N to NE..rolleyes.gif

It does have a wee bit of pivot about it :good:)

Posted

rofl.gif

It took me until about 3 days ago to realise you were actually still at school. Just shows how mature your weather knowledge is good.gif And your chat smile.gif

I also didn't realise that by-tor is slightly older than me too. I just assume that everyone I chat to on here is my age rofl.gif

Great thing is about this forum is that it does not matter your age or knowledge; as long as you love the weather with all it's complexities, welcome to the club.

My advice for young 'uns. Stay in school because Uni is great fun; study what you want at a school with a pub attached and no parents...

Even did a bit of meteorology in first year myself. suffice to say that the models have come on a bit since the time of the first colour Macs and 33 Mhz intels (which gives a little indication of my age)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?

Could well be. Earlier we were almost six degrees warmer than the sea level on the east coast of the county.

Darn gilf stream.

How goes it on the Dark Isle

Cool but not cold: -1.5/-2.5.

Look away now, cold-lovers: I could do with a respite from the cold as our heating and hot water depends on wood which needs collecting, cutting, chopping, sorting, carrying around... I shall be very busy and sweaty no doubt, soon...

Great thing is about this forum is that it does not matter your age or knowledge; as long as you love the weather with all it's complexities, welcome to the club.

My advice for young 'uns. Stay in school because Uni is great fun; study what you want at a school with a pub attached and no parents...

Even did a bit of meteorology in first year myself. suffice to say that the models have come on a bit since the time of the first colour Macs and 33 Mhz intels (which gives a little indication of my age)

That makes you quite young!

I had the joy of being pushed into "the sciences" when my sole interest was Geography. The net is such a leveller, surely the best invention, after the wheel???

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy in winter, a good mix of weather the rest of the time

The NMM does suggest something for you later on, so maybe!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything outwith the mean.

Sorry if my age revelation destroyed any hopes you had of grooming me CMD :):)

:)

I also didn't realise that by-tor is slightly older than me too. I just assume that everyone I chat to on here is my age :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold. Enjoy all extremes though.

I thought we were all 31?? :) :) :)

I'll get my coat then! :)

Posted

Sorry if my age revelation destroyed any hopes you had of grooming me CMD :):)

ha 22 year old here :)just in from cinema and wow its cold infact -10.5 to be exact even though glasgow airport is at -6!cheers

hmm who knows how low it could go tonight -15??

Scott

Posted

rofl.gif

It took me until about 3 days ago to realise you were actually still at school. Just shows how mature your weather knowledge is good.gif And your chat smile.gif

I also didn't realise that by-tor is slightly older than me too. I just assume that everyone I chat to on here is my age rofl.gif

Thankssmile.gif . Apparently there was a true wonder-kid legend on the model discussion by the name of Stratos Ferric, who was exceptional at chart spotting, though he's not on much nowadays. No one realised his age was only 13 until a month or two ago! SATSIGS, the hilarious guide to the snowramping phenomenon on forums which has this year reached the level of 'rampede', was his work!

Anyway, really should be off now, with another day of school ahead of me (7 foot piles of snow right around the grounds and still there's 2 inches on the ground!).

LS

I'll get my coat then! :)

Why?? I was just trying to point out that the net is a leveller...sorry if I have offended anyone :)

I just see everyone on here as a reflection of me.

Posted

The NMM does suggest something for you later on, so maybe!

I'm hoping so. Funny thing is, I was cursing and swearing digging out the car this morning, 'bl**dy snow'. 55 cm, is that not enough?

No. It's not the amount you have, it's how much is falling. Neeeeed more. crazy.gif

Think it might be time for me to seek professional help.blush.gif

I'm hoping so. Funny thing is, I was cursing and swearing digging out the car this morning, 'bl**dy snow'. 55 cm, is that not enough?

No. It's not the amount you have, it's how much is falling. Neeeeed more. crazy.gif

Think it might be time for me to seek professional help.blush.gif

Indeed, you need help if you want more :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything outwith the mean.

If we can't have snow in the next few days SAG, then I'd like to see us testing these kind of minima while we can. Was a bit of cloud cover earlier in the evening in these parts that maybe hit the rate of temperature decline at Embra airport ... but its made it down to -10c at 11:50PM and we could be flirting with something very cold over the next 8 hours.

Sky looks totally clear here. Don't think we'll get close to the -17c record at that location ... but could be not far away from it if conditions stay as they are. Sounds like you're on a similar downwards trajectory there ! :unsure:

ha 22 year old here :)just in from cinema and wow its cold infact -10.5 to be exact even though glasgow airport is at -6!cheers

hmm who knows how low it could go tonight -15??

Scott

Posted

If we can't have snow in the next few days SAG, then I'd like to see us testing these kind of minima while we can. Was a bit of cloud cover earlier in the evening in these parts that maybe hit the rate of temperature decline at Embra airport ... but its made it down to -10c at 11:50PM and we could be flirting with something very cold over the next 8 hours.

Sky looks totally clear here. Don't think we'll get close to the -17c record at that location ... but could be not far away from it if conditions stay as they are. Sounds like you're on a similar downwards trajectory there ! :unsure:

yeah defo although with snow sometimes it can just crop up when you least expect it so wouldnt rule out any more in the next few days we will just have to wait and see :) Cheers

Scott

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold. Enjoy all extremes though.

Why?? I was just trying to point out that the net is a leveller...sorry if I have offended anyone :unsure:

I just see everyone on here as a reflection of me.

I'm taking that as a compliment! It speaks volumes about the success of this forum when we are all regarded as equals. I wouldn't change it for the world! :)