Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scottish Cold Spell Discussion 16

Posted
  • Location: The Highlands of West Fife. 650ft ASL. Nr Knockhill Racing Circuit
  • Weather Preferences: Hot N' Sunny / Cauld N' Snawy

-7'C!! That's 4'C drop in under 2 hours!

Anyone know what the official lowest temp was for last night and where?

Just spoken with a delivery guy who came to the office at work and he said that he heard that Whitburn West Lothian had hit -22.5 Deg C last night cc_confused.gif I also heard a punter calling Radio Forth this morning and telling Boogie that he had a -20 Deg C reading on his car, some place in East Lothian closedeyes.gif

I did see a - 11 Deg C on the car display while driving to work this morning on the south side of the Forth bridgedrinks.gif

Anyone ?

Big Innes

Wish my daughters school had done that. They thought it a good idea to let them play in the snow, it hadnt been touched all holidays so was quite deep. Her socks were soaking and when asked the teacher if she could dry her socks on radiator was told no. Apparently if she let my daughter do it then the rest would want to........she came home and i am surprised she didnt get frost bite, poor lass was in agony her feet were so red and cold. Now she goes with about 5 extra pairs just incase.

We had a wet clothing incident too today. BoyCatch slipped on the way to school on a thick mush of grit thoughtfully left out by the council. He was soaked through to his underwear and he had to endure a very cold walk back home, soaked to the skin from neck to knee in temps of -9C. Needless to say he was very upset. If I hadn't been holding the pram I would have been over too. The grit was in golf ball sized lumps on a wet metal footbridge. This happened before Xmas too, in fact, I can remember passing comment that I had walked over 5 miles one day in snow and ice and the only place I slipped was on the grit on the bridge. I have complained to the council about their approach to gritting, not expecting a response though.

How cold is it going to be tonight I wonder?? I'm going for -14C at Glasgow Airport which is easily within the ten coldest temps there since 1982.

Posted

Very nice satellite image from Dundee - caption on BBC from here http://news.bbc.co.u...nd/8446413.stm:

The winter whiteout conditions affecting the UK are clearly visible in this striking image received by the University of Dundee Satellite Receiving Station. It shows almost all of the country covered in a white blanket of snow and ice. Photo by NEODAAS/University of Dundee.

Image here: http://news.bbc.co.u...5012/html/1.stm

WOWblink.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Freezing fog, frost, snow, sunshine.

-15'C in Alnaharra!!

Posted

Down to -7c with a very fosty sunset, how low will it go.Some of the older farmers used to say when we got these pluunging temperatures at the end of a snowy spell it was just the cold spells final days before a thaw. Setting sun tinged the snow showers with red out to the NE over the North Sea. It does have the look of maybe the cold spell ending as the showers fade away to the east.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot N' Sunny / Cauld N' Snawy

-15'C in Alnaharra!!

Hi Rab,

Is that the current temp oops.gif or the official lowest for last night cold.gifcold.gifcold.gif

Big Innes

Edited by Big Innes Madori

Posted

Are the little showers off the east coast now moving east to west, or am I imagining/hoping this ??cc_confused.gif

Posted

Wow!what a day ended up driving down to Lanark which was snowbound and just outside lanark temperature was minus 16! at one oclock today. Seriously cold and snow depths were immense. Seems to ve very cold air about lanarkshire area and it probably was -20 or below easily there last night and who knows what it will go to tonight.

In all seriousness this cold spell has been the best in my lifetime (22 years) Went down glasgow green in Glasgow today and the clyde was frozen over how rare an occurence is this?

Parents make the most of this with your kids as these kind of memories will live with them forever and who knows turn them into snow lovers like yourselfs :( This might be the last time they expierience a cold spell like this as the next time this happens they might have moved out of home by then.

Just an amazing event and to any newcomers on the board well done you have joined at a time where it simply just doesnt get any better than this! I have been a member on this board for 5 years and this totally puts any cold spell to shame! All the best folks and keep warm! Cheers

Also to any folk that live in glasgow city centre take a drive upto stewartfield in East Kilbride to the lake which is frozen over and plently of deep snow there.

Scott

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snaw

I think they are swinging more to E-W direction.

From the meto radar, looks like it could well snow here within the next hour. drinks.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: Warm/Dry enough for a t-shirt. Winter: Cold enough for a scarf.

Wow!what a day ended up driving down to Lanark which was snowbound and just outside lanark temperature was minus 16! at one oclock today. Seriously cold and snow depths were immense. Seems to ve very cold air about lanarkshire area and it probably was -20 or below easily there last night and who knows what it will go to tonight.

In all seriousness this cold spell has been the best in my lifetime (22 years) Went down glasgow green in Glasgow today and the clyde was frozen over how rare an occurence is this?

Parents make the most of this with your kids as these kind of memories will live with them forever and who knows turn them into snow lovers like yourselfs ;) This might be the last time they expierience a cold spell like this as the next time this happens they might have moved out of home by then.

Just an amazing event and to any newcomers on the board well done you have joined at a time where it simply just doesnt get any better than this! I have been a member on this board for 5 years and this totally puts any cold spell to shame! All the best folks and keep warm! Cheers

Also to any folk that live in glasgow city centre take a drive upto stewartfield in East Kilbride to the lake which is frozen over and plently of deep snow there.

Scott

Had it frozen over completely? I forgot to check on my way in and out of central station today, but the other day there were chunks of ice floating down it.

Are people of the view then that this is now the last few days of the cold weather coming up?

Posted

Had it frozen over completely? I forgot to check on my way in and out of central station today, but the other day there were chunks of ice floating down it.

Are people of the view then that this is now the last few days of the cold weather coming up?

yeah at Glasgow freen it had then down towards the bridge at the court it was pretty much frozen over with jsut small pockets of water nip down to glasgow green just now seriously its amazing something you will not see very often!

Scott

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: A foggy and frosty morning with newly fallen pristine snow - Paradise!

Some pics from the icy wastelands of west central Scotland:

Outdoor curling rink scraped clear of snow and ready for action:

Lovely pics Catch, thanks.:clap:

I think they are swinging more to E-W direction.

From the meto radar, looks like it could well snow here within the next hour. drinks.gif

SSW movement and fading out by the looks of things SS.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: SNOW :-D

I was under the impression it was to last at least the next 10 days, what makes people think its coming to an end now? (the cold spell i mean)

Yeah I thought as well, I know there is change in the models, but cold theme remained at least another week or so cc_confused.gif .

Posted

Lovely pics Catch, thanks.clap.gif

SSW movement and fading out by the looks of things SS.

Aye, a bit. Pity. Still a chance a shower might pass over here. I shouldn't complain really; we actually got ~2.5 cm last night and I never noticed due to the 55 cm+ cover we already have. Only realised when I went out to the car and found the roof white again.

-9.1 C. Was -15 C in the valley this morning. Could beat that tonight.cold.gif

Very nice satellite image from Dundee - caption on BBC from here http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/8446413.stm:

The winter whiteout conditions affecting the UK are clearly visible in this striking image received by the University of Dundee Satellite Receiving Station. It shows almost all of the country covered in a white blanket of snow and ice. Photo by NEODAAS/University of Dundee.

Image here: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/shared/spl/hi/pop_ups/08/uk_enl_1262875012/html/1.stm

That's amazing. Must have been a while since the last time so much of the country was covered in snow.

Posted

was out a walk earlier and took some pics, tho i have no idea how to upload them onto here. For the first time since i was little, the river doon is frozen over, which i am surprised at, as its pretty fast flowing. I reckon, maybes if the cold keeps up a few days more, with no thaw, it might even be frozen over at the faster flowing areas where its not catching yet!

Aye, a bit. Pity. Still a chance a shower might pass over here. I shouldn't complain really; we actually got ~2.5 cm last night and I never noticed due to the 55 cm+ cover we already have. Only realised when I went out to the car and found the roof white again.

-9.1 C. Was -15 C in the valley this morning. Could beat that tonight.cold.gif

Can we see some more amazing pictures of that amazing amount of snow!?

Posted

Can we see some more amazing pictures of that amazing amount of snow!?

Afraid I ain't been out to take any more; only have the ones posted previously.

Have not left the house, just been working from home. It was baltic today, max -7 C.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy in winter, a good mix of weather the rest of the time

I was under the impression it was to last at least the next 10 days, what makes people think its coming to an end now? (the cold spell i mean)

I don't believe for one minute that it is. There is a low moving into southern Britain next week bringing some milder uppers to southwestern areas but here uppers are unlikely to get above -4 at most next week. With surface air so cold I doubt there will be much thaw away from the coasts if any. The GFS, according to most of the experts on the model discussion forum, is far too quick at bringing the atlantic in. The ECM and I think the UKMO do not buy the low getting very far north at all, and as these are the more reliable models, the most likely outcome must be a short-lived spell where any precipitation will fall as sleet or rain rather than snow(though of course with uppers less cold there's likely to be less convection around anyway!). JH agrees:'Once air gets really cold settled, believe me, its unlikely that the first Atlantic wants to bring gentle push, let alone, 'blow torch' air rushing over the UK.

It may well make it into some SW'ern coastal areas, might, but as to the end of the cold spell by Wednesday, no chance'

Something struck me today when I was out for the daily walk with the wee one and that is the fact that we have had a really contintental spell of weather here in the west of Scotland. It has been very dry now since early December, so little rain/snow has fallen at a time of year which is usually very wet here. Amazing!!

Posted

Those showers off the firth of forth are definitely following an ever more E-W track. Seems they are fizzling out a bit, but maybe a chance yet for east coasters off them.

They are infuriatingly close to me, but moving very slowly (which might be good if the actually get here with some life left in them).