Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scottish Cold Spell Discussion 16

Those showers off the firth of forth are definitely following an ever more E-W track. Seems they are fizzling out a bit, but maybe a chance yet for east coasters off them.

They are infuriatingly close to me, but moving very slowly (which might be good if the actually get here with some life left in them).

Do you really want more snow!?

I suppose i would if i was in a situation with nearly 2 foot of snow. 'Just one more snow shower will do it' :unsure:

Posted

Was a rather spectacular sunset earlier, like the Northern Lights (but it wasn't!)

The digi-cam shot doesn't do it justice, but the colours were certainly impressive enough just as the Sun disappears over the horizon.

post-8552-12628866885252_thumb.jpg

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy in winter, a good mix of weather the rest of the time

Those showers off the firth of forth are definitely following an ever more E-W track. Seems they are fizzling out a bit, but maybe a chance yet for east coasters off them.

They are infuriatingly close to me, but moving very slowly (which might be good if the actually get here with some life left in them).

I've been watching that too - the NMM reckons it will make landfall and die out when reaching Invergowrie to Peebles (ish). Could be 1-2 inches of snow in it for many if it keeps a bit of life left in it.

Posted

I was under the impression it was to last at least the next 10 days, what makes people think its coming to an end now? (the cold spell i mean)

Looks cold to me...........

UK Outlook for Tuesday 12 Jan 2010 to Thursday 21 Jan 2010:

Next week looks set to remain cold or very cold across the UK. There will be a good deal of dry weather especially in the north and west, with occasional wintry showers in the east and the south at times. There is also a low risk of some general rain and snow moving into south or southwest parts at times after next weekend. Windy at times across many parts bringing significant wind chill. Overnight frosts and ice with very low minimum temperatures, mainly in the northwest. The trend from next Sunday (17th) looks most likely to start cold although there is a signal for the weather turning less cold, especially in the west and southwest.

Updated: 1218 on Thu 7 Jan 2010

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snaw

Do you really want more snow!?

I suppose i would if i was in a situation with nearly 2 foot of snow. 'Just one more snow shower will do it' laugh.gif

Having already decided I'm working (normally at Heriot-Watt Riccarton campus, so a 35 mile hike) at home tomorrow due to the state of the roads (compacted snow with a pitiful sprinking of salt which will do zip at -10 C), more would be just fine.

I think the addiction is falling snow as much as lying snow. When it's falling, its exciting as something is happening. When its just lying there, after a while you want more more more MORE crazy.gif ha ha ha, ha ha ha ha ha (evil, mad laugh)

Posted
  • Location: South Lanarkshire Glasgow. Lat : 55.8N Lon : 4.1W ASL : 71m
  • Location: South Lanarkshire Glasgow. Lat : 55.8N Lon : 4.1W ASL : 71m

its going to take quite a event to breakdown this cold spell I cant see the Atlantic winning. even if milder air does make it there could be significant snow fall

or freezing rain from it there is certainly more surprises yet to come for Scotland :cray:

Posted

Just watched the weather forecast on STV (just after that show which features the useless Michelle McManus) and it appreared the entire Forth-Clyde valley had snow by 4am tomorrow? I fail to see how. Any ideas?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy in winter, a good mix of weather the rest of the time

Just watched the weather forecast on STV (just after that show which features the useless Michelle McManus) and it appreared the entire Forth-Clyde valley had snow by 4am tomorrow? I fail to see how. Any ideas?

Not sure about that really, but I can see much of east central seeing some snow from this trough. For all those who think we're done snow-wise, take a look at the hi-res UKMO radar for Saturday 12pm (considering the blue around the edges is most likely snow as well!!)

10010912_0712.gif

Tonight's potential event:

10010800_0712.gif

Posted

Didn't see that, and I would not consider myself an expert.

The showers that are coming in look moderate for the minute. There are some darker coloured bands on the satellite following in behind on an E-W track. Maybe these will grow into something? Also a large upside down mushroom off the west coast of Norway that looks interesting, but not heading our way for the moment.

These smaller features are hard to predict. The massive overnight fall we had the other day started with a fairly modest blob on the radar which had spawned a few more heavy showers by the time I went to bed. By the morning, it was a huge mass dumping up to 40 cm in areas of the borders.

Posted

Didn't see that, and I would not consider myself an expert.

The showers that are coming in look moderate for the minute. There are some darker coloured bands on the satellite following in behind on an E-W track. Maybe these will grow into something? Also a large upside down mushroom off the west coast of Norway that looks interesting, but not heading our way for the moment.

These smaller features are hard to predict. The massive overnight fall we had the other day started with a fairly modest blob on the radar which had spawned a few more heavy showers by the time I went to bed. By the morning, it was a huge mass dumping up to 40 cm in areas of the borders.

The lightest flakes beginning to fall. Seems the band is going to reach here. Possibly could be moderately heavy according to the radar, but not prolonged.

Posted

Ohh that better push in here! Nice looking charts although the one from the other day didnt come off as it suggested.(tuesday i think it was)

To be fair, there was some snow around at 6pm on Tuesday and some at 6am Wednesday, so not totally off I don't think.

Was a rather spectacular sunset earlier, like the Northern Lights (but it wasn't!)

The digi-cam shot doesn't do it justice, but the colours were certainly impressive enough just as the Sun disappears over the horizon.

We had that here, yellowy to the south and an amazing orange glow further north. One of the most amazing clear sky sunsets I have ever seen. No photo could have done that justice.

Posted

I think i'm going to risk going into the mountains tomorrow, should be nice and clear! Not sure i'll get anywhere near the top though, I've heard stories of people turning back because they couldn't walk in the snow it is so deep!

Posted
cray.gif Looks like once again the "blob" has died on arrival in Angus/ Fife. Still some life further south. cray.gif

Posted

Michelle McManus is still on the TV?...Just how desperate are STV?!

I think i'm going to risk going into the mountains tomorrow, should be nice and clear! Not sure i'll get anywhere near the top though, I've heard stories of people turning back because they couldn't walk in the snow it is so deep!

If you go for it then best of luck! Would be great if you could put up some pics. I thought about it but considering all the snow some places have I could too easily imagine myself getting stranded with my rubbish little car.

From a personal view, this cold spell is starting to bore me. Getting sick of scraping the car and being careful of ice. If there were more snow it'd be a different story but here in the West it has been mostly very dry. If I was told there would be no more snow during this cold spell I'd take gale force winds and rain in a second - would be more interesting at least!

Posted

cray.gif Looks like once again the "blob" has died on arrival in Angus/ Fife. Still some life further south. cray.gif

Seems to be dying out just 10 miles east of me.mad.gif

Posted

Michelle McManus is still on the TV?...Just how desperate are STV?!

If you go for it then best of luck! Would be great if you could put up some pics. I thought about it but considering all the snow some places have I could too easily imagine myself getting stranded with my rubbish little car.

Cheers, don't worry if I go there will be plenty of pics on the forum at the weekend :lol:

Posted

Hi everyone.

It's been very cold here in West Linton today. Minimum temp last night was -18.7 with a maximum today of -6.3. The temperature tonight is dropping like a stone with my weather station saying its already -16.9.

We've got 14 inches of snow which is the most snow i have seen here in my 19 years so far.

This has been a brilliant cold spell and i am loving it!

Posted

Very annoying! Looks like the band has fractured, with some heading south and the rest heading further north towards Stonehaven, leaving nothing for us. However, it does show that the flow is now easterly, so maybe we can pull in some more showers later in the evening?

Posted

Cheers, don't worry if I go there will be plenty of pics on the forum at the weekend smile.gif

For good picks of the mountains (ok, somewhat ski/snowboard biased) have a look at the public reports in winterhighland:

http://www.winterhighland.info/publicreports/

Best skiing in many many years right now. If you can get there that is.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Freezing fog, frost, snow, sunshine.

I've just finished going through the most boring search I've ever done, but managed to get a high quality large image of the snow cover! Enjoy!

http://www.sat.dundee.ac.uk/gallery/images/1114m.jpg

Posted

Hi everyone.

It's been very cold here in West Linton today. Minimum temp last night was -18.7 with a maximum today of -6.3. The temperature tonight is dropping like a stone with my weather station saying its already -16.9.

We've got 14 inches of snow which is the most snow i have seen here in my 19 years so far.

This has been a brilliant cold spell and i am loving it!

They're some remarkable stats Donald - welcome to the nw forum :rolleyes: