Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scottish Cold Spell Discussion 16

Posted

Very annoying! Looks like the band has fractured, with some heading south and the rest heading further north towards Stonehaven, leaving nothing for us. However, it does show that the flow is now easterly, so maybe we can pull in some more showers later in the evening?

Yeh its a farse.

Been on the General model thread haveing a look, and seems to me that even John Holmes ect dont really know what will happen later next week, but he is sure that the block will not be dislodged by the first LP from the Atlantic. Infact he mention possible 2 or 3 needed. Seems to think that the first attack will be replaced by more E / NE cold flow. I think and CMIIW, but he is sort of implying that just because GSF suggests a SW breakthrough, the runs are not likely to do this and the computer models favour this sometimes because they derfault to SW flow and are not used to east flow.

There is lots of b******t in there too, but some of its interestingshok.gifshok.gif

Posted

Poor North Atlantic - oh how I yearn for a good old January storm!

Joking aside, this block is now exceptional. I mean, the Atlantic LP's just aren't gonna shift this anytime soon.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy in winter, a good mix of weather the rest of the time

Joking aside, this block is now exceptional. I mean, the Atlantic LP's just aren't gonna shift this anytime soon.

Uppers early next week are going to be deceptively high for many areas, as the surface air is easily cold enough for any frontal precipitation to fall as snow even with uppers close to freezing. I'm struggling to see a breakdown next week, with GP suggesting the block will move further north after this and breakdown towards February, though once the block has been around this length of time I can't really see it going very far for the rest of the winter!

Posted

Amazing, and if the block re astablishes itself, is it not possible a cold spell could begin all over again??

Surley at some point we are going to see fronts trying to beak through and such stuck cold air they wont turn to rain in the normal fashion. Sometimes after a topler, the atlantic fronts stuggle to shift cold air. Amazing to watch what develops if we get another cold pool.

Posted

I've just finished going through the most boring search I've ever done, but managed to get a high quality large image of the snow cover! Enjoy!

http://www.sat.dundee.ac.uk/gallery/images/1114m.jpg'>http://www.sat.dundee.ac.uk/gallery/images/1114m.jpg

Cheers - you've saved me a job.

Just a note, if you don't have a login to access the image, it is free. Go here: http://www.sat.dundee.ac.uk/ and register for free images.

Check out the front page of the evening paper (the top part, not that poor missing gran part - very sad story) http://www.eveningexpress.co.uk/images/frontpage/ee-front.jpg?1677126622

Here's the telegraph take on it... http://www.telegraph.co.uk/topics/weather/6943186/Worst-Scottish-winter-since-1963-says-Alex-Salmond.html

Edited by LadyPakal

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Freezing fog, frost, snow, sunshine.

Amazing, and if the block re astablishes itself, is it not possible a cold spell could begin all over again??

Surley at some point we are going to see fronts trying to beak through and such stuck cold air they wont turn to rain in the normal fashion. Sometimes after a topler, the atlantic fronts stuggle to shift cold air. Amazing to watch what develops if we get another cold pool.

Aye and this is exactly what we want it to do. If it moves towards Greenland then this will allow low pressure to bring N and NE winds across Scotland, perfect for us!

Posted

We had that here, yellowy to the south and an amazing orange glow further north. One of the most amazing clear sky sunsets I have ever seen. No photo could have done that justice.

For what it's worth, here are the 5 shots I took. The sky was just awesome as the Sun set. Need a better camera, me thunks :good:

post-8552-12628938878952_thumb.jpg

post-8552-12628938954552_thumb.jpg

post-8552-12628939062352_thumb.jpg

post-8552-12628939153852_thumb.jpg

post-8552-12628939254052_thumb.jpg

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy in winter, a good mix of weather the rest of the time

Aye and this is exactly what we want it to do. If it moves towards Greenland then this will allow low pressure to bring N and NE winds across Scotland, perfect for us!

Ok, to get a wee bit more into the mini scottish model output, take a look at the difference between the ECM and the GFS tonight:

test8.gif

On the left is the upper heights anomaly for the ECM for 8-10 days out. This is clearly red right across from Greenland to Scandinavia, showing a big block, which would keep winds predominantly easterly/northerly. The one on the right is the GFS, which pushes the block much further north and brings the atlantic back in. However, with the GFS having dramatically shifted since a much colder 06Z run, and the ECM staying consistant with the output, I suspect it is the one on the left which is more likely to be right.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snaw

Where is that shower that is supposed to be over me. Looked not bad on the radar, but nothing outside. Eh?

Ok, clutching at straws a bit tonight, but hey-ho.

Posted

Where is that shower that is supposed to be over me. Looked not bad on the radar, but nothing outside. Eh?

Ok, clutching at straws a bit tonight, but hey-ho.

Yaay! Snowing lightly here! Doesn't matter if it accumulates to much or not - remember the days when we got excited with just the idea of snow falling? Now we've had 20 out of the last 22 days when it has snowed. I'm off to stand out in it for a bit - just hope the shower intensifies a wee bit and stalls over us!

Posted

Dug this out of the forum. This what we need to happen to the developing HP??

generalsnow.jpg

But this one is fine too.rofl.gif

east1.jpg

Posted

Yep, a wee shower picking up here.

Seems there are a few heavy ones developing, unfortunately the gordies are getting all the fun.

Posted

Yaay! Snowing lightly here! Doesn't matter if it accumulates to much or not - remember the days when we got excited with just the idea of snow falling? Now we've had 20 out of the last 22 days when it has snowed. I'm off to stand out in it for a bit - just hope the shower intensifies a wee bit and stalls over us!

Oh yeh, medium snow here now too. Too busy trying to understand blocking and stuff to notice. Its getting a wee bit heavy actually. I'll send it right over!!yahoo.gifyahoo.gif

Posted

Yep, a moderate shower passing through. Nothing to write home about, but nice all the same.

Thought it time to update the avatar. If it keeps growing on the bench, can update again.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything outwith the mean.

Typical LS .. its been sitting out there for days, pretty much oriented North-South to the east of us. Right at the very end though, on its last legs, it comes in from ENE and delivers hee-haw :). Oh well ... :D

Wish the cloud would bog-off to be honest, all its doing here is halting tonights temperature drop. Probably another -10'r when it eventually goes but could have been better without this cloudy period.

I've just finished going through the most boring search I've ever done, but managed to get a high quality large image of the snow cover! Enjoy!

http://www.sat.dundee.ac.uk/gallery/images/1114m.jpg

Asked me to sign in :good:

Posted

Oh yeh, medium snow here now too. Too busy trying to understand blocking and stuff to notice. Its getting a wee bit heavy actually. I'll send it right over!!yahoo.gifyahoo.gif

Well, it hasn't made it here yet - although I can see the orange glow in the east.

Posted

And suddenly stuff is on the move east to west aiming for the central belt....

Posted

And suddenly stuff is on the move east to west aiming for the central belt....

Dammit! Yet again it's too far south! Oh well, about to get hit by a hefty shower for a wee bit. Maybe more showers will appear out of nowhere!

LS