Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scottish Cold Spell Discussion 16

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything outwith the mean.

Similar setup here in Embra CMD, makes you realise why it is that people settled here to begin with. Estuary to the north, open sea-to the NorthEast. Hills to the South-east, south, and south-west. Hills and mountains to the north-west and north.

Protection of all kinds in there from some of the winter extremes we might otherwise receive. No accident that Embra is where it is !

Still rubbish for snow in Glasgow, many places in Glasgow City have barely got a cover of snow. Surrounding area has done a lot better though. Which explains why Glasgow is where it is really, in every respect the weather is much better there than almost everywhere else in the west of Scotland. Drier, warmer and sunnier!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: bright & frosty/snowy; summer: hot and sunny.

The burning issue with the Met-O forecast is this: if local authorities based the size of their grit stockpiles on the back of the warm winter forecast, then is the Met-O now responsible for the alleged shortage of grit which the UK faces??

Or should the Met-O's long range forecasts just be taken with a pinch of salt?

Ouch, that was bad.

Like it CMD. :lol:

You should start writing jokes for Christmas crackers!!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, warm spring, hot summers - nae chance in Scottie though!

Schools back tmrw in East Lothian. playground in school to remain shut - the snow is piled high and quite deep in all the playground areas. They have to arrive for school around 9am and not worry if they are a little late!!! Seems a bit of a waste of time for Half day Friday - and looks like they'll not be allowed out at break time due to state of playgrounds!

Might take the little one along to the school walk on the sledge though. Nice wee morning sledge run!.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snaw

What are peoples thoughts on that mass of showers off the east coast?

Should I be watching out later today for them hitting the eastern borders? Met office still have a warning for my area last time I checked.

They do seem to be heading slowly in that general direction.

At the moment, after this mornings failed attempt to go to work in Edinburgh, I think I'll leave it until monday before thinking about it again. Thus new snow is welcome!

Thankfully, I can do a lot of work from home, much more comfy biggrin.gif

Posted

Wish my daughters school had done that. They thought it a good idea to let them play in the snow, it hadnt been touched all holidays so was quite deep. Her socks were soaking and when asked the teacher if she could dry her socks on radiator was told no. Apparently if she let my daughter do it then the rest would want to........she came home and i am surprised she didnt get frost bite, poor lass was in agony her feet were so red and cold. Now she goes with about 5 extra pairs just incase.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Freezing fog, frost, snow, sunshine.

And we're off! Altnaharra just went from -10'C to -12'C! Winds calming across the Scottish Highlands and skies clearing :D

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, warm spring, hot summers - nae chance in Scottie though!

Wish my daughters school had done that. They thought it a good idea to let them play in the snow, it hadnt been touched all holidays so was quite deep. Her socks were soaking and when asked the teacher if she could dry her socks on radiator was told no. Apparently if she let my daughter do it then the rest would want to........she came home and i am surprised she didnt get frost bite, poor lass was in agony her feet were so red and cold. Now she goes with about 5 extra pairs just incase.

Aww thats terrible - our headteacher has been known to go round and put socks and tights for the whole school, class by class in the tumble drier in our nursery dept if they've got wet feet!! Have to say thats a brilliant thing!

Even with wellies on the snows soo deep it just goes right over and its freezing with wellies on anyway!! Maybe the next school fundraiser should be for a drier!!! any school board reps around - a good suggestion to avoid frostbite!! and colds

Edited by snowy owl

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

And we're off! Altnaharra just went from -10'C to -12'C! Winds calming across the Scottish Highlands and skies clearing :D

Aye Rab. Tonight's going to be cold...Unless, of course, there really is rotation trying to send that 'blob' towards Sneckie??? No. I thought not! :cray::cray::cray::D:fool::fool::fool:

Posted

Is it my imagination or is a small swirl or something developing off Norway..? http://www.sat24.com/Region.aspx?country=gb&sat=ir&type=loop

Been getting snow showers off and on from that stuff sat out to the northeast. It has a bit of a rotation in it so the cloud out to the northeast is being dragged southwest-ish and down over Aberdeen, whereas the cloud further south is just going straight south. You can see why if you look at the isobars - there's a bit of a kink in them - http://www.xcweather.co.uk/

Edited by LadyPakal

Posted
  • Location: South Lanarkshire Glasgow. Lat : 55.8N Lon : 4.1W ASL : 71m
  • Location: South Lanarkshire Glasgow. Lat : 55.8N Lon : 4.1W ASL : 71m

well south Lanarkshire council has finally run out of grit. they are now dumping sand on our streets what a sad state of affairs was wondering why the ice was not melting on the pavements :wallbash:

Posted

"Is it my imagination or is a small swirl or something developing off Norway..? http://www.sat24.com...at=ir&type=loop

Been getting snow showers off and on from that stuff sat out to the northeast. It has a bit of a rotation in it so the cloud out to the northeast is being dragged southwest-ish and down over Aberdeen, whereas the cloud further south is just going straight south. You can see why if you look at the isobars - there's a bit of a kink in them - http://www.xcweather.co.uk/ "

yes, been watching that myself.

Edited by Kerwin

Posted

And we're off! Altnaharra just went from -10'C to -12'C! Winds calming across the Scottish Highlands and skies clearing :wallbash:

You're in with a great shout there for the -20's surely NR...

Embra Airport peaked at -4c earlier ... and just dropped to -5c there at the last 15:00hrs report, Same time yesterday it was -1c , so its got a 4c head-start on yesterdays rate of decline ! Was -10c last night .... so got to be flirting with mid-teens tonight surely...

Maybe only tonight and tomorrow when we can generally test these low minima, before any easterly might (ahem) "warm" things up a bit.

Posted

Aye Rab. Tonight's going to be cold...Unless, of course, there really is rotation trying to send that 'blob' towards Sneckie??? No. I thought not! :lol: :D:cray::oops::rofl: :lol: :D

Hope it doesn't reach here! I'm wanting cooooold tonight!

Aye By-tor the Highlands are going to be very cold tonight!

Posted

actually really big flakes here

I am sure I mentioned something about thyis earlier???whistling.gifwhistling.gif

Posted

-3'C to -5'C in 1 hour, temperature is really falling!

Posted

This is worse than betting on the horses, up from -5c to -3c in 30 minutes at Embra airport just as the sun is going down. Mugs game this :)

-3'C to -5'C in 1 hour, temperature is really falling!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: A foggy and frosty morning with newly fallen pristine snow - Paradise!

Max tday -4.2C currently -6.3C. Indoors temperature in hallway etc. 9.2C. :)

Posted

This is worse than betting on the horses, up from -5c to -3c in 30 minutes at Embra airport just as the sun is going down. Mugs game this :help:

Imagine one of those sea tornados making landfall against those temperatures :help:

Going to be a very cold one tonight in Scotland, that's for sure. Edinburgh temperature rise might be to do with the system currently moving down the east coast, perhaps a few snow showers to come?

Posted

-7'C!! That's 4'C drop in under 2 hours!

Posted

Very nice satellite image from Dundee - caption on BBC from here http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/8446413.stm:

The winter whiteout conditions affecting the UK are clearly visible in this striking image received by the University of Dundee Satellite Receiving Station. It shows almost all of the country covered in a white blanket of snow and ice. Photo by NEODAAS/University of Dundee.

Image here: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/shared/spl/hi/pop_ups/08/uk_enl_1262875012/html/1.stm