Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scottish Cold Spell Discussion 16

If we can't have snow in the next few days SAG, then I'd like to see us testing these kind of minima while we can.

I can't be fussed saving and posting the FAX charts....but have you seen them?? :unsure: :)

Especially the +96hrs!!! Brr...

I'm taking that as a compliment! It speaks volumes about the success of this forum when we are all regarded as equals. I wouldn't change it for the world! :)

It was meant as a compliment :)

We are all equals, although some people have snow which is equally more deep than other people's snow!! :):rofl:;) ;)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything outwith the mean.

In a perfect world that fetch will pick up some of the -40c air that some place recorded in central Norway a couple of days ago (OK I'm kidding) :) Also read about some passenger ship getting snagged in the 20 cms or so of ice in Oslo harbour. Unusually cold conditions even for Norway...

Anyway, every little helps in getting that air to these shores as cold as it can be, at least to begin with :)

I can't be fussed saving and posting the FAX charts....but have you seen them?? :) :)

Especially the +96hrs!!! Brr...

Edited by by-tor

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snaw

I feel the band of showers running from NNE between our N and SE comma features currently seems to be picking up a little. Certainly seems to be generating the most prep as is.

Amazing how much a shower can deliver; a blob like the one currently travelling inland over the NE gave us close to 5 cm today.

On that note, I shall start heading for the scratcher and dream of more snow crazy.gif

Cheers

Posted

I'll get my coat then! :blush:

me too!

I tried, I really did but it's like Scottish Skier the minute I took my eyes of the radar and ..well... tried to do anything else.... IT snowed AGAIN! I'm now hoping by posting that it stops - (I think Freud would be proud?)

I spoke to my sister, I did some family history stuff, I tried to quote a job, I answered some emails, then I needed to take the dog for a walk.. that was at 11:30pm :blink:

upshot is those little blobs did reach us, I tried to take some photos in night light, I've been walking around like a daftie in the moonlight with camera (and dog for the excuse) - but I have cleared another few cm's of snow.. have snow shovel will travel

it's about 50cm+ here now too, not bragging just reporting honest.. even DH's brothers don't believe him and they lived here up until 20 years ago! :pardon: So the photos are for them!!this really is getting insane - nowhere left to put the snow.. :shrug:

Posted

Good morning everyone!

Very cold morning with current Scottish lows spots at 5.30am:-

Eskdalemuir -13.3c

Strathallen - 12.5c

Tulloch Bridge -12c

Edinburgh Aiport -10c

Prestwick Airport -9.5c

Glasgow Airport -9c

And the trend is to go lower over the next 2-3 hours. -20c should be broken tonight.

It looks like a generally quiet couple of days (in terms of the amount of snow showers) with last nights fax showing a few snow showers on the East coast over the next 24-36 hours. As the high pressure builds and moves north the cold temperatures could be the headline.

Near the end of the weekend the high pressure looks like it will start to lose its grip in Scotland from the south with strong easterly winds developing which will draw in showers. Its looking at the moment like some of the showers might be a bit marginal early next week for some on the North Sea coast but with the cold in place that may change for the better.

Edited by Blizzardo

Posted

Driving into work in Glasgow from Stirling just now, was interesting to say the least...

-11 at my house in Stirling, with no variance to speak of all the way through to central (yes central) Glasgow, where the temp in my car is showing -10 !!

My car struggled with the temp, the accelerator idle speed was stuck on due to the severe temps, which was a bit hairy until I stopped and turned off the engine.

Snow I can deal with, but these temps are absolutely ridiculous, and it will only get colder....

Posted

Driving into work in Glasgow from Stirling just now, was interesting to say the least...

-11 at my house in Stirling, with no variance to speak of all the way through to central (yes central) Glasgow, where the temp in my car is showing -10 !!

My car struggled with the temp, the accelerator idle speed was stuck on due to the severe temps, which was a bit hairy until I stopped and turned off the engine.

Snow I can deal with, but these temps are absolutely ridiculous, and it will only get colder....

I have also noticed that the temperature variation between the centre of Glasgow and the surrounding areas has been reducing over the last week or so. I travel between the centre of the city, the West End and Bishopbriggs each day and usually see a big difference in winter, with Bishopbriggs usually about 2c colder in still conditions, but not so much just now.

My own feeling is that as I and others have commented the River Clyde is starting to freeze in parts and the warming influnce that this normally provides in central Glasgow is being reduced.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: A foggy and frosty morning with newly fallen pristine snow - Paradise!

Good morning all. No precipitation. Temp -11.5C. May be some time before we see snow falling again.:D

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

'Morning folks...

No snow here last night. But, by golly, it's taters!! :D :D :D

Posted

we have no water here in the house it might be our water tower pain in the bum with the livestock and as we have a stove we cannot light it as it will blow up ,it's not as cold as some places

Posted

Can read and make detailed maps (geologist) but satnav (or human reading map) does not work for me.

It/they keep saying 'turn left', I turn right. It/they beeps/screams and emphasises 'left, left'; tyres screech as I spin the wheel even harder right....

I say right when I mean left & vice versa - my direcions usually go something like this 'take the first left, no right'. I tink it's 'because I'm left handed and when I look at people writing they are mirroring me.

Geologist here too...

Had a fresh inch approximately when I got home yesterday.

Had some more snow in the night (covered the road just)and a small flurry just after I got up. -4 currently so the flakes were tiny. Bin day today so I need to drag the wheely bin through the ice & new snow to the pavement.

Edited by LadyPakal

Posted

This is going to be one cold walk to school with BoyCatch, although it is now a sweltering -9C after a min of -10C!!! :blink:

Och we are having a veritable heat wave by comparison to you!!!

-5C at the moment and no further snow.........with no likelyhood until saturday when there is a possibility of a couple of showers.

Still no shovelling for a few days

Amendment it has gone up to -1C and the icicles are dripping!!!!

Edited by Gilly

Posted

Quite mild here -3c with some showers out in the Firth, don"t know if they will make it here. Mrs Northernlights is back at primary school teaching today at one of the few open with the next door senior school shut. Quite a few comments about that this morning. She managed to negotiate the 8 inch ruts on our side roads and made it to the A96 which is almost clear apart from a ridge in the centre of the road. Some photos from the last few days.post-2744-12628531816552_thumb.jpgpost-2744-12628531367552_thumb.jpgpost-2744-12628531074452_thumb.jpg

Posted

Nice pics, NL...At this rate, you'll have no downstairs windows?? :lol: :lol: :lol:

Posted

Cool pictures.

BBC and therefore I guess met office have the band of showers currently off the east coast heading inland this evening before dying out. This chart also shows similar thing........anyone support this.

PPVE89.png

Could be the last throw of the dice for us coasties as the trend from Monday is slightly milder, although there is a slight chance Sunday.

Intrestingly GSF is going for another East invasion late next week, but this will undouteltly change (hopefully for the better!!)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Freezing fog, frost, snow, sunshine.

Somebody phone the Met Office! It's 0'C in Rosehearty! Surely a record?! :good:

Posted

Morning all -5.2 here. Was watching the news and there was a bit about 2 waterspouts on the forth yesterday with a nice picture. Anyone see that?

Ahhh i am seriously needing a snow fix, its been days since i had my last decent one, last saturday i think boooooo.

Posted

Somebody phone the Met Office! It's 0'C in Rosehearty! Surely a record?! :lol:

That's global warming, Rab. :good:

Posted

Minus 10 here at 8am this morning. ohmy.gif

Kinda wish it would turn a bit milder to get rid of all the 'crap snow' then turn cold and snowy again.

Although i love the snow all the powdery trampled in stuff is no good to look at.

Posted

Some huge clouds just off the East coast on my way to work this morning!! West-ward tracking anyone?

Posted

I think the high pressure will spoil the fun at the weekend for scotland with all the snow action further south, Edinburgh will have its snow sheild on as always cant beleive just 20-30 miles south of us they have had 50cm yet Edinburgh has only had about 2-3inches max out of a 3week cold spell. We have a foot of snow here in Penicuik but thats fallen and not thawed due to alltitude over the cold spell.

Posted

Some huge clouds just off the East coast on my way to work this morning!! West-ward tracking anyone?

Thats what I was saying a couple of posts back. whistling.gif