Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scottish Cold Spell Discussion 16

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy in winter, a good mix of weather the rest of the time

Back on again but pretty small flakes. Now a balmy -1.9C, which I'm very dubious about given other recordings close by. I'm sure mine is over-exposed to the wind at the moment given the nearest station about a mile away is recording -4C. Either way it's not marginal and not likely to be until perhaps Monday.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything outwith the mean.

Some kind of estuary effect snow going on here ? The blobs are on the radar are pretty small but cloud seems quite low and gentle light snow coming out of it.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: Warm/Dry enough for a t-shirt. Winter: Cold enough for a scarf.

I don't believe for one minute that it is. There is a low moving into southern Britain next week bringing some milder uppers to southwestern areas but here uppers are unlikely to get above -4 at most next week. With surface air so cold I doubt there will be much thaw away from the coasts if any. The GFS, according to most of the experts on the model discussion forum, is far too quick at bringing the atlantic in. The ECM and I think the UKMO do not buy the low getting very far north at all, and as these are the more reliable models, the most likely outcome must be a short-lived spell where any precipitation will fall as sleet or rain rather than snow(though of course with uppers less cold there's likely to be less convection around anyway!). JH agrees:'Once air gets really cold settled, believe me, its unlikely that the first Atlantic wants to bring gentle push, let alone, 'blow torch' air rushing over the UK.

It may well make it into some SW'ern coastal areas, might, but as to the end of the cold spell by Wednesday, no chance'

Thanks LS, I like this answer. I think experience of Glasgow means that sooner of later lots and lots of rain will come along and wash away any cold and/or snowy weather, so quite delighted with the idea that the cold air is going to hold on for a while longer.

In saying this, I just walked about a mile and a quarter up the road from a relative's house and have to say that the cold was verging on rather unpleasant. I'm asthmatic and I'm now having to keep my mouth and nose covered with a scarf most of the time so I don't start wheezing. I'm usually a keen runner but during this spell with the snow and ice, and now these temperatures, getting out is an absolute no no. So unfortunately it does have a down side.

Noticed on my way up the road a bit of cloud cover coming in from the east. Bit of snow coming our way maybe? Temp when I checked online was -11C.

Posted

The GFS 18z is not bad for here, it has some snow making it this far west tomorrow and into saturday. BBC N24 also mentioned snow moving East to West over Scotland on saturday :)

Posted

Aye I noticed that Ross. The showers as far north as Fife now from the east - bit of a 150 mile correction as it was all to be an England-only event on Saturday earlier.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy in winter, a good mix of weather the rest of the time

post-9298-12629033432252_thumb.pngMore coming out of nowhere! However, the band across eastern England looks much heftier, though pretty narrow too. If these showers keep coming and are helped on by that blob to our northeast, we could be looking at an overnight streamer (finally!!) for much of east central. A lot of ifs and buts but I can see it happening, more especially for Dundee than Edinburgh given the wind direction and track of the showers. http://www.sat24.com/error.htm?aspxerrorpath=/region.aspx

LS

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: SNOW :-D

Hi all

It was nearly -9 just before 9pm it then went up -5, checked outside looks like we had a snow shower unsure.gif. Temp is now falling fast again now that the shower has moved away, nearly back down to -8. Thought it was to be a clear night cc_confused.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snaw

Having been away browsing some STV reports on the snow over the past few days (not a big telly watcher), came back to see the showers being discussed appear on the radar.

From what I can see, the darker bands that lay ahead of the Norway feature earlier are picking up a bit of steam as hoped.

Either way, suggests some more serious prep could be following on behind.

Good news for all. Guess it'll be a go to sleep and dream one though.

Posted
  • Location: The Highlands of West Fife. 650ft ASL. Nr Knockhill Racing Circuit
  • Weather Preferences: Hot N' Sunny / Cauld N' Snawy
  • Location: The Highlands of West Fife. 650ft ASL. Nr Knockhill Racing Circuit

post-9298-12629033432252_thumb.pngMore coming out of nowhere! However, the band across eastern England looks much heftier, though pretty narrow too. If these showers keep coming and are helped on by that blob to our northeast, we could be looking at an overnight streamer (finally!!) for much of east central. A lot of ifs and buts but I can see it happening, more especially for Dundee than Edinburgh given the wind direction and track of the showers. http://www.sat24.com...th=/region.aspx

LS

Hi LS,

Not a single flake falling here tonightcc_confused.gif

Yet again looking South East towards Embra, I can see the cloudy sky and probable snow fallwhistling.gif

Still a good 6" to 8" of lying snow, but the last heafty shower was last Saturdaywacko.gif

Whoars ma new snaw cray.gif I'm waiting !!! (Arms crossed, foot tapping)doh.gif

Big Innes

Posted
rolleyes.gif snowing again here. Little solid grains, but fairly heavy. Where'd that come from?

Posted

Hi LS,

Not a single flake falling here tonightcc_confused.gif

Yet again looking South East towards Embra, I can see the cloudy sky and probable snow fallwhistling.gif

Still a good 6" to 8" of lying snow, but the last heafty shower was last Saturdaywacko.gif

Whoars ma new snaw cray.gif I'm waiting !!! (Arms crossed, foot tapping)doh.gif

Big Innes

Ahh, while you took the brunt of the snow from the main events, we've caught up through catching a few more of the showers by being just that bit further east! Looks good though for you seeing a few more showers overnight, potentially loads!

Had a further cm or 2 tonight, with more cloud cover but no falling snow at the moment. Fingers crossed!

LS

Posted

While the radar has suggested nothing serious, I've had 2 cm now off wee showers passing buy too.

Also, temp up 5 C to -5 at about 1 C/hr. Apparently cloud coming in with more showers appearing on the radar.

Will make for an intersting night certainly.

Posted

Fife about to get a beefy shower. Will make my commute on the train to Dundee tomorrow even prettier :p

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?

No snow here tonight... But a very rare ice day - well they were rare before the last 3 weeks but this was the 5th recently. Current temp is an embarrassing -3.1C :cold:

Anyhow, we took a trip up Glen Affric today which was ferociously cold in the middle of the day in some cold hollows, as was Glen Urquhart on the way home, the upper parts of which look like something out of a snow lover's fantasy.

Would anyone like to comment on the chances of the Moray Firth area getting snow tomorrow with uppers as high as -6C? My guess is the usual - not if you're coastal, probably a couple of miles inland yes. :drunk:

Edited by Hairy Celt

Posted
Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

Good morning, Monders...Blood cold!! :(:)

New thread coming soon... :(:)

New thread here: