Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scottish Cold Spell Discussion 16

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.

Moderate snow shower here. Temp has risen a couple of degrees. Now -4.5C

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snaw

The shower passing over me is quite heavy. Little flakes, but coming down at a fair pace.

Well on the way to a cm from it.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy in winter, a good mix of weather the rest of the time

http://www.sat24.com/scan

The cloud between Norway and Scotland is heading SW'ly rather well - bang into the Firth of Forth, which might just explain the STV forecast from earlier which kinda astounded me for its obvious snowfall symbols all over the Forth-Clyde valley unsure.gif

Nice! Hopefully large enough to nudge up as far north as SP33 as well as south towards SS! We live in hope anyway.

LS

Posted

http://www.sat24.com/scan

The cloud between Norway and Scotland is heading SW'ly rather well - bang into the Firth of Forth, which might just explain the STV forecast from earlier which kinda astounded me for its obvious snowfall symbols all over the Forth-Clyde valley unsure.gif

Yes, earlier on it seemed to be heading more south, but it does seem to be curling round more to the east west now.

Picked up 1.5 cm so far of the shower. Not bad at all.

Edited by scottish skier

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy in winter, a good mix of weather the rest of the time

Heavy shower here now!! Accumulating fast!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Freezing fog, frost, snow, sunshine.

This shot of the UK under a cover of snow doesn't require a log in, and can be viewed and saved by all :rolleyes:

http://rapidfire.sci.gsfc.nasa.gov/gallery/2010007-0107/GreatBritain.A2010007.1150.1km.jpg

Posted

Nice! Hopefully large enough to nudge up as far north as SP33 as well as south towards SS! We live in hope anyway.

LS

Have to say, altough the showers never really came to anything this evening, maybe 1/2cm or so, but the BEEB were showing the showers tracking inland from the sea since breakfast time. Just seen Beeb 24 and it has another band crossing about the same time tomorrow night, but slightly more intense band. One to watch whistling.gif

Also showing some precip east coast Scotland Saturday

Posted

LS

The thin dark bands ahead of that Norway feature are apparently swinging right the way round to head almost a little north of west on their approach to the east coast. A good sign for the feature following....

If that is the track, then would be good for the midland valley and those up the east coast towards Aberdeen.

Here's hoping.

Posted

Snowing in Edinburgh. Hopefully there'll be enough to cover the black ice on the pavements and make it a bit less tricky out tomorrow.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold snowy winters, warm dry summers

Temp down to -10c and has just started to cloud over after a cloudless day, maybe get some snow tonight.

SS2

Posted

ok how come i am getting no snow?

Firstly, the shower I got was pretty small but intense, giving maybe 1cm in 15 minutes, so it is likely to break up before getting to you. However, if showers perk up in the Forth they might extend as far north as you. Anyway, another wee shower developing in the East Neuk, so possibly some more here. Hoping that the cloud band manages to hit, as it does look pretty hefty and would give most of eastern and even central Scotland a decent covering (on top of the stuff you've got obviously!).

And yes, Saturday holds some interest as well:

PPVG89.png

By 12 you can see the trough having pushed right across to the west coast, with another one arriving:

PPVI89.png

So much for dry days!

LS

Posted

Snowing in Edinburgh. Hopefully there'll be enough to cover the black ice on the pavements and make it a bit less tricky out tomorrow.

Yep, started lightly here but has pepped up - are we in line for a few showers tonight or is this a one and done?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: mediterranean summer

temps down here as i speak are -12.4c and still dropping and with a cloudless sky looks like Altnaharra http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/uk/he/altnaharra_latest_weather.html will probably be the coldest temps in scotland tonightaggressive.gif

Posted

The River Irvine almost completly frozen over at the top end of Kilmarnock..

It is frozen over slightly further down stream, but this area the water flows quite fast. Photos taken yesterday so it may even be fully frozen now!

riverirvine.jpg

riverirvine2.jpg

Posted

Situation here since Dec 19 has been black ice every single day, even when further snow has fallen. It's quickly compacted to the very first snowfall all those weeks ago and just adds to the brutal walking conditions. It was an achievement (in my line of work) to not fall over after two weeks of it, but since this week have fallen god knows how many times - just lucky nothing broken or sprained etc.

What gets me most is the general public - most of them - still haven't cleared or attempted to - their paths/driveways. And I speak on behalf of thousands of posties around the UK who are saying the exact same, even after 3 weeks. Why?

Posted

Yep, started lightly here but has pepped up - are we in line for a few showers tonight or is this a one and done?

post-1217-12629001724052_thumb.txt

Everything is moving directly right to left :)

Posted

oh very interestin thank you ls. Hope i wake to some more snow. smile.gif

Hope so too. Looks good for you in the next few hours, with that Forth streamer setting up and edging a wee bit further north with every shower, maybe bringing much of Fife into play, though the feature overnight will be interesting to watch.

LS

edit: Check out the 18Z for precipitation - all roads lead to east central tomorrow night onwards!!

Great stuff. Pub run it may be but in terms of short range forecasting it's more accurate than earlier runs purely because of more up to date information. Just later on it gets things a bit out of place!

Edited by LomondSnowstorm

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: mediterranean summer

does anybody know if you can still get the weather for wanlockhead at one time you could but it doesnt seem to be avalible anymore i bet its even colder up there i stay only about 20 miles from wanlockhead and i can tell you that is some road up and down to that place try driving that road with a transit crewcab aggressive.gif