Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

Yorkshire, Lincolnshire And The Pennines Cold Spell Discussion

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Temperatures ≤25ºC ≥10ºC.

It's appear to me that it's one of the old metal pipes, which are usually replaced with the plastic type, these days.

IMO, it shouldn't be an expensive repair at all.

It does look spectacular with all that ice though :lol:

It is a metal one, original to the house probably as ours was. Looks quite eery and there's another ice display round the front from the guttering.

Someone has been in now and taken a look in the kitchen and bathroom. Don't know what it was or if there's any damage from water backing up. No screams or panic so guessing it's not like a scene from Poltergeist inside.

• Replies 397
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot & Sunny, Cold & Snowy

Are we seeing the first bits of tomorrows Med. tainted air riding up over the stratoform out in the north sea at the mo,? If so will this pep up the showers overnight??smile.gif

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield

Good article that and raises some questions. The only mistake Paul made was talking to Joe who always predicts cold winters and just struck lucky this time.

Posted

The BBC Forecast now appears to be showing much less snow reaching us tomorrow..

I saw it too, but nothing has changed, they just didn't go past mid day on Sunday. If they did it would of looked like this http://news.bbc.co.uk/weather/forecast/10209

Posted

had the BEST day for a long time!!!! being towed from a landrover on a snowboard at 15MPH in a open field!!!!!!! amazing :wallbash:, hows the situation looking?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

The BBC Forecast now appears to be showing much less snow reaching us tomorrow..

Good news, we don't want the mild air that comes with it.

Posted

Regarding earlier post, i did predict 50cm or more for some areas 5 days ago , but I'm wrong still because i said it would be 50cm+ from Tuesday up until Saturday today lol.

New metoffice warning for Monday now for Hull and east yorkshire along with lincs :clap:

Yorkshire & Humber:

E Riding of Yorkshire

Kingston upon Hull

N Lincolnshire

NE Lincolnshire

Heavy Snow Mon 11 Jan

There is a moderate risk of severe weather affecting parts of England, Wales and Northern Ireland.

Further outbreaks of snow, some heavy and prolonged, with further local accumulations to around 10-20cm over high ground in eastern Wales, northern England and northern parts of the Midlands. Strong winds will cause drifting of snow. There will also be further icy stretches on roads and pavements.

Posted

Now that would be exciting shok.gif Do you mean some places in yorkshire starting by 9am? (Leeds)

East Yorkshire will see the precipitation first (9AM), and as this is very slow moving we probably wont see it till 3pm.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Temperatures ≤25ºC ≥10ºC.

East Yorkshire will see the precipitation first (9AM), and as this is very slow moving we probably wont see it till 3pm.

If it's too slow, chances are it might loose intensity as it arrives to our region.

Posted

Latest BBC forecast gave S Lincs snow on and off for tomorrow with more persistant snow tomorrow afternoon. Like JH said Sparky there may be some surprises on the way. :p

Posted

a good looking look north weather forecast for us in sth lincs tonight, she said the snow would be around tonight and last into monday, personally i dont believe a word of it but would be great if it came off, lol.

Latest BBC forecast gave S Lincs snow on and off for tomorrow with more persistant snow tomorrow afternoon. Like JH said Sparky there may be some surprises on the way. :wacko:

i soooooooo love surprises. as long as the surprise is not that loads of snow forecast and we get none. lol

Edited by sparky1972

Posted

Latest BBC forecast gave S Lincs snow on and off for tomorrow with more persistant snow tomorrow afternoon. Like JH said Sparky there may be some surprises on the way. rolleyes.gif

Really hope so I would hate to have rain. I will only relax when it is snowing here and doesn't turn to rain. Fingers crossed.

Posted

Regarding earlier post, i did predict 50cm or more for some areas 5 days ago , but I'm wrong still because i said it would be 50cm+ from Tuesday up until Saturday today lol.

New metoffice warning for Monday now for Hull and east yorkshire along with lincs :wacko:

Yorkshire & Humber:

E Riding of Yorkshire

Kingston upon Hull

N Lincolnshire

NE Lincolnshire

Heavy Snow Mon 11 Jan

There is a moderate risk of severe weather affecting parts of England, Wales and Northern Ireland.

Further outbreaks of snow, some heavy and prolonged, with further local accumulations to around 10-20cm over high ground in eastern Wales, northern England and northern parts of the Midlands. Strong winds will cause drifting of snow. There will also be further icy stretches on roads and pavements.

Having had a look at the 12hr NMM Model i'm not sure as to whether it will be rain/sleet/snow here as dewpoints are marginal to say the least, don't want to put the scare factor in here, simply calling it as the model sees it.

Posted

Having had a look at the 12hr NMM Model i'm not sure as to whether it will be rain/sleet/snow here as dewpoints are marginal to say the least, don't want to put the scare factor in here, simply calling it as the model sees it.

Look at the skew charts, they are fine for me. :wacko:

I would throw all GFS models out the window, why?

Because throughout this cold spell they have been so inconsistent with break downs and dew points, when it got marginal earlier on in the week, it showed dews of 1-2c for me on more than 3 occasions i think the highest i got was 0.3c

Lewis

Edited by Storm Force Lewis

Posted

I was hoping that milder air that comes with tomorrows snow would dissapear from the models today but no luck. I think it could be a soggy affair here and I don't see temps decreasing too much after that either so it could be the end of the snow for us here on the coast :wacko:

That said forecast temps have been at least 2 degrees higher than what Iv'e recorded so you never know!

Temp here now 0.8C, (Not the 3C forecast!)

dewpoint -4.3C

We've had a few light to middling snow showers today but nothing significant. Drifting has been a problem though, We have a field seperating the cliffs and the main road and drifting snow is building some significant accumulation. We only just made it through so tommorow morning should be interesting!

Got some great snaps of the raging N sea though which I'll post later!

Posted

I see what you mean Cal. I hope it's wrong

post-5487-12630594490842_thumb.png

Posted

Are we seeing the first bits of tomorrows Med. tainted air riding up over the stratoform out in the north sea at the mo,? If so will this pep up the showers overnight??smile.gif

technically that is not correct GW. Warm air going over the top stops convection. Think warm front over an unstable air mass in summer. Once you see the CiCs running over the top you notice the convection dying?

So layered cloud rather than convective cloud will be the main cloud type. See my post in the model thread this morning, in which I highlight just what a forecasting nightmare this coming week is going to be.

back to will it snow, will it rain, will it be freezing rain, will the milder air get this far, will the cold air stop it or push it back??

Lots and lots of questions this week and no one will have all the answers no matter what they may try and tell you. 24 hours out should give a reasonable idea but 12 hours is probably better, with a close eye on all those variables-temp, dewpoint, 850mb temp, 1000-850mb thickness, the zero isotherm and so on are all important and have a part to play, but forget the 1000-500mb thickness its not important, or at least the numbers you hear bandied about are not.

Edited by johnholmes

Posted

Latest BBC forecast gave S Lincs snow on and off for tomorrow with more persistant snow tomorrow afternoon. Like JH said Sparky there may be some surprises on the way. :rolleyes:

after just looking at one chart on here i think nrevous times ahead for those wanting to see snow.hope that chart is very wrong cal. lol

Edited by sparky1972

Posted

What I thinks guna happen tommorow is the snow in the south will edge northwards through the day, as 10123 says eventually reachin most parts for 3pm. This snow isnt really what could cause problems, it will mostly be light/moderate.

Later on around 9pm a large clump of precipitation should push in from the north sea delivering the real heavy stuff. smile.gif

I think this is it currently pushing into denmark

http://www.metoffice...01001091700.jpg

Like I said yesterday, the precipitation will be wetter the nearer towards the coast you are. I think places like beverly/york/lincoln should be far enough inland to see some good accumulation though. But will it remain cold enough for accumulation to carry on into monday???.... We wont know for sure, untill its happening though (probably 60-40) aggainst.

Edited by Jed Bickerdike

Posted

From my stand point in Grimsby we missed out on 6+ hrs of snowfall when on Tuesday most it feel as very wet snow that struggled to settle until after dark. After that its been plain sailing. I just cross my fingers and hope that the North Sea is cold enough now.

Posted

From my stand point in Grimsby we missed out on 6+ hrs of snowfall when on Tuesday most it feel as very wet snow that struggled to settle until after dark. After that its been plain sailing. I just cross my fingers and hope that the North Sea is cold enough now.

You might want to compare the sea temps on Feb 2nd to now, as that was rain for all eastern areas. I wouldn't know where to start to find this.

Posted

I'd rather not bother. I'd much prefer if no-one got snow in our region and the whole thing didn't make progress.

Edited by rikki

Posted

I'd rather not bother. I'd much prefer if no-one got snow in our region and the whole thing didn't make progress.

In a way I understand what you mean there mate, it is very frustrating to here about all the snow in other areas when we have rain. I have often said that Id rather miss out on anything if it meant the snow lasted a bit longer. Had a lovely walk in Bradley woods this afternoon, beautiful scenes around there with drifts forming over the open fields. Both local forecasts looked ok to me, but Id sooner believed it when I see it.

Edited by Grimsby Snow Lover