Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Volcanic Activity Thread!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and heatwave

can some one tell me what is the concerns its not really intence eruption so why is this a big news story?

I am not sure if your posts are trying to be funny re why the caution or why is it a news story ??.

Cancelling all UK flights I would suggest is a 'news story' and I would prefer to be delayed 12-24 hrs rather then dead ??

Edited by stewfox

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot & Sunny, Cold & Snowy

We seem to be getting reports over the past 2hrs of it 'intensifying'.

Probably ingested a lot of the glacier above...an explosive mix!!!

I wonder if this is working up the ridge line towards the volcano or whether it's unrelated?

http://rapidfire.sci...5114000.2km.jpg

Nice snap of the plume at 12:35 BST

and the 500m resolution;

http://rapidfire.sci.gsfc.nasa.gov/realtime/single.php?2010105/crefl1_143.A2010105113500-2010105114000.500m.jpg

Edited by Gray-Wolf

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme

We seem to be getting reports over the past 2hrs of it 'intensifying'.

Probably ingested a lot of the glacier above...an explosive mix!!!

I wonder if this is working up the ridge line towards the volcano or whether it's unrelated?

It's erupting from within the main volcano's caldera.

Posted

From post #316 by James here: http://scienceblogs.com/eruptions/2010/04/subglacial_eruption_underway_a.php

Just got out of a meeting with all the main scientists dealing with this little crisis. :angry:

The latest:

- Not sure when it began. Earthquake swarm subsided, replaced with gradual tremor onset. Gradual onset much like the Fimmvorduhals eruption.

- Currently tremor is increasing. There are highs and lows in activity but the general trend is up.

- GPS stations in the area shows a subsidence on Friday following the end of Fimmvorduhals, then a sudden increase on Monday preceeding this eruption. At least one showed a sudden subsidence again immediately before or during the very early part of the new eruption.

- Tephra fall is currently around 5mm depth near to the volcano, and is ongoing and quite heavy now. The plume is blowing east and tephra fall is confined to quite a narrow zone.

- Late afternoon yesterday, the plume was seen to begin to contain darker patches. Darkened very rapidly at around 6-7pm, indicating the onset of full phreatomagmatic activity.

- Tephra fall was initially very dark, either basaltic or basaltic-andesitic although it has not been analysed yet. Reports this morning of a gradual change to lighter colours, grey-brown. Maybe more evolved magmas are making it to the surface? Again, no actual analysis done yet. The university don't even have tephra samples in hand yet due to transport issues.

- Tephra is (was?) very fine-grained and so there are some worries about the fluorine content (smaller particles, larger surface area, more fluorine on surface...).

- 'Best guess' is that the eruption rate is 10x that of the Fimmvorduhals eruption, based on fissure length and the rate of ice melting, but this really is a total guess.

Posted
  • Location: Sth Staffs/Shrops 105m/345' & NW Snowdonia 219m/719'
  • Location: Sth Staffs/Shrops 105m/345' & NW Snowdonia 219m/719'

I can understand that this ash cloud is fairly intense but we periodically get rain falling with deposits of fine sand blown from the Sahara. I've seen on numerous occassions sandy deposits on my car after such rainfall.

Doesn't the sand also cause problems for jets as I would immagine it's just as fine and abrasive as ash albeit in less concentrated clouds?

http://news.sky.com/skynews/Home/Sky-News-Archive/Article/20080641317355

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold/snow winter, Warm/hot summer, Thunderstorms, Severe Gales

Will the cloud come over cumbria?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme

It does melt but perhaps it's the concentrations that are different. http://blogs.zdnet.com/emergingtech/?p=873

Any scientists around to explain why sand doesn't seem as bad ash.

Will the cloud come over cumbria?

Should be over it now I believe.

Posted

Doesn't the sand also cause problems for jets as I would immagine it's just as fine and abrasive as ash albeit in less concentrated clouds?

The difference between sand/dust and volcanic ash is usully the ash contains mostly silica glass shards that can melt inside jet engines, causing them to stall.

Posted

MetO have a map of the fallout with their expectation of coverage here: www.metoffice.gov.uk

The Met Office is continuing to monitor the spread of the ash plume from eruption of the Eyjafjallajökull volcano on Iceland.

The current situation regarding the volcanic ash and its affects on airspace, flights and airline movement is controlled by National Air Traffic Services (NATS). As a result NATS have put in place air space restrictions. The Met Office is unable to advise of any details of any flights. However, many airlines are providing information on their websites.

Importantly, the current high pressure conditions over the UK are resulting in the ash cloud remaining at high levels in the atmosphere with little possibility of any reaching the ground within the UK.

The Health Protection Agency is advising that the plume of volcanic ash currently trapped in the atmosphere above the United Kingdom is not a significant risk to public health because it is at high altitude.

Our forecasters monitor volcanic eruptions as part of the Met Office’s role in the global network of nine Volcanic Ash Advisory Centres. Volcanic ash can be dangerous for aircraft, causing damage, reducing visibility, and potentially clogging engines. Our Environment Monitoring and Response Centre is constantly monitoring the Iceland area.

Our first advisory was issued at 1400 on 14 April and they have subsequently been updated every six hours.

Posted

does anyone know what the guess is of how long it will effect flight's ect...

some people need to fly :angry:

are we looking at a few days give or take,or is this more worrying long term?

anyone heard anything?

Posted

I can understand that this ash cloud is fairly intense but we periodically get rain falling with deposits of fine sand blown from the Sahara. I've seen on numerous occassions sandy deposits on my car after such rainfall.

http://news.sky.com/.../20080641317355

Aolean sand is well rounded (and frosted), volcanic ash is as sharp a surgical knives ,which is why you die in a frothy ,bloody mess, (if you breathe too much of it in) as it slices you lungs apart as you breathe .

It also messes with bearings on jet rotors and slices up electrics around the engine.

Not good.

The Jet we all hear of seized all 4 engines but was able to 'bump start' the seizure as it plummeted groundwards ( I did similar with my cam shaft on a 750/4 on the M62 once).smile.gif

Posted

some people need to fly :angry:

are we looking at a few days give or take,or is this more worrying long term?

anyone heard anything?

There was a vulcanologist on BBC news earlier who was suggesting it was difficult to tell. He seemed to be saying that a few days was likely, but the nature of this particular volcano, based on previous eruptions, meant that we could see disruption from time to time potentially for a few years to come.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

What you also need to remember with volcanic ash clouds, is the traces of metals, along with the traces of silica. The metals, which are also in powdery form due to the explosive power and heat of the eruption, can have lower melting points than the 2000C which aeroplane's engines can produce. Therefore, the metal fragments build up and melt, along with the dusty, glassy deposits which are contained within the ash cloud.

I shall await the eerie smell of sulphur later on this evening - that could be a wierd experience :angry:

Also, praying for the brilliant red sunset which is possible! Could look awesome and incredibly photogenic providing the skies stay clear.

Posted

There was a vulcanologist on BBC news earlier who was suggesting it was difficult to tell. He seemed to be saying that a few days was likely, but the nature of this particular volcano, based on previous eruptions, meant that we could see disruption from time to time potentially for a few years to come.

thx...though worrying

Posted

some people need to fly :oops:

Owwww, I should think well into the US stormchasing season - can you swim Dogs? :lol:

I shall await the eerie smell of sulphur later on this evening - that could be a wierd experience :D

Curry tonight H ????? :angry:

Posted

The real interesting stuff could happen in a few days time when the winds at upper levels come right over the UK from Iceland, currently the main jet is directing the worst of it towards Scandinavia with only weak currents taking the ask remains SE/SSE. When the northerly flow starts to come down on Sunday/Monday it'll take whatever ash cloud is left directly over the UK.

Much depends on how long this can keep up for...

Posted

What you also need to remember with volcanic ash clouds, is the traces of metals, along with the traces of silica. The metals, which are also in powdery form due to the explosive power and heat of the eruption, can have lower melting points than the 2000C which aeroplane's engines can produce. Therefore, the metal fragments build up and melt, along with the dusty, glassy deposits which are contained within the ash cloud.

I shall await the eerie smell of sulphur later on this evening - that could be a wierd experience :angry:

Also, praying for the brilliant red sunset which is possible! Could look awesome and incredibly photogenic providing the skies stay clear.

I don't think there will be much of an engine left if tthey ran at 2000 deg C

Over temp on an RB211 is some thing like 870 deg C

Posted

The real interesting stuff could happen in a few days time when the winds at upper levels come right over the UK from Iceland, currently the main jet is directing the worst of it towards Scandinavia with only weak currents taking the ask remains SE/SSE. When the northerly flow starts to come down on Sunday/Monday it'll take whatever ash cloud is left directly over the UK.

Completely agree KW, I posted something similar earlier, this will get worst before it gets better, with maybe a brief window on saturday.

This will also be costing the airlines millions, I know somebody in Hungary who has been put up in a very posh hotel by BA until his flight can get back to the UK, apparently BA are doing this all over the world to anybody due to fly back into the UK.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

My thoughts exactly. By Sunday/Monday the ash if its still going will begin travelling SE'wards but then get caught up in the Northerly airstream taking it right over the UK.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and heatwave

This will also be costing the airlines millions, I know somebody in Hungary who has been put up in a very posh hotel by BA until his flight can get back to the UK, apparently BA are doing this all over the world to anybody due to fly back into the UK.

Who needs a union just get you an 'active volcano?'.

Delays due a volcano sounds even better then trees on the line rolleyes.gif

Edited by stewfox

Posted

Aolean sand is well rounded (and frosted), volcanic ash is as sharp a surgical knives ,which is why you die in a frothy ,bloody mess, (if you breathe too much of it in) as it slices you lungs apart as you breathe .

It also messes with bearings on jet rotors and slices up electrics around the engine.

Not good.

The Jet we all hear of seized all 4 engines but was able to 'bump start' the seizure as it plummeted groundwards ( I did similar with my cam shaft on a 750/4 on the M62 once).smile.gif

So...we shouldn't go outside then in the next few days?

Posted

Nobody mentioning Laki and 1783 then?....... pretty close to the current eruption........whistling.gif

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Laki

Edited by Gray-Wolf