Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Volcanic Activity Thread!

Posted

Scotland's First Minister has set up an emergency response group to deal with the volcanic ash incident and the resultant disruption to Scottish airports.

Posted
  • Location: South Lanarkshire Glasgow. Lat : 55.8N Lon : 4.1W ASL : 71m
  • Location: South Lanarkshire Glasgow. Lat : 55.8N Lon : 4.1W ASL : 71m

Scotland's First Minister has set up an emergency response group to deal with the volcanic ash incident and the resultant disruption to Scottish airports.

there must be a election due wonder if it gets a mention on the live leaders debate tonight

Posted

I bet there's a lot of scientists frantically gathering data in the absence of plane traffic!

Funny you should say that, the various forums on the 'net featuring the climate change brigade are getting overly-excited about no flying over the UK/Northern Europe today. They seem to miss the point about how much CO2, SO2 et al is emitted by an eruption compared with all the flights planned to operate in UK airspace over the next few months put together :whistling:

Posted

Funny you should say that, the various forums on the 'net featuring the climate change brigade are getting overly-excited about no flying over the UK/Northern Europe today. They seem to miss the point about how much CO2, SO2 et al is emitted by an eruption compared with all the flights planned to operate in UK airspace over the next few months put together :whistling:

Isn't it to do with contrail cloud cover though? And I thought that the eruption cloud isn't yet with us, so they'll be getting some data before that? I dunno.....:crazy:

Bet the residents around Heathrow will be out in their gardens this afternoon making the most of the peace and quiet!!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

Reports that Belgian airspace has now closed too.

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme

Posted

Don't worry this will all blow over soon! :rofl: just quite awkward for those with travel plans...will be interesting with tonight's sunset so keep 'em peeled

Posted

Isn't it to do with contrail cloud cover though? And I thought that the eruption cloud isn't yet with us, so they'll be getting some data before that? I dunno.....:rofl:

Bet the residents around Heathrow will be out in their gardens this afternoon making the most of the peace and quiet!!!

Has any "expert" been on TV to say how much has been pumped out of this eruption compared to a years worth of aviation emissions? I didn't thinkso :)

Meanwhile, this is quite neat: http://i43.tinypic.com/2vmtsnq.gif Shows the air traffic dispersing as the hours pass.

Posted

Don't worry this will all blow over soon! :rofl: just quite awkward for those with travel plans...will be interesting with tonight's sunset so keep 'em peeled

Ha!!! From a purely selfish point of view I'm actually enjoying the twin delights of less traffic around (school holidays) and no aircraft in the skies (on the flightpath to Gatwick here at work). The office windows are wide open, the sun is streaming in and I can hear nature at work!!!

Matt Dobson, a forecaster for MeteoGroup, the weather division of the Press Association, said: "The concern is that as well as the eruption, the jet stream passing through Iceland is passing in a south easterly direction, which will bring ash to the north of Scotland and Denmark and Norway. But it is impossible to say how much ash will come down.

"It could be a threat in these areas from now until tomorrow or Friday." A spokesman from Nats said: "The Volcanic Ash Advisory Centre has issued a forecast that the ash cloud from the volcanic eruption in Iceland will track over Europe tonight. "NATS is working with Eurocontrol and our colleagues in Europe's other air navigation service providers to take the appropriate action to ensure safety in accordance with international aviation policy."

Weather forecasters said the ash plume could drift over British airspace during the night, causing significant disruption to services. The movement of the plume, which has been drifting eastwards, is being monitored by both the Met Office and NATS, the air traffic control service.

www.telegraph.co.uk

Posted

Looking at the fallout, possible length of eruption etc and then wind flows over the next 96 hrs, it looks as though a breif window of limited air travel (depending on direction of travel) friday evening into saturday morning might be available , before another plume of upper atmospheric ash comes down across the country Saturday into Sunday, lasting until the begining of next week.

Posted

news 24 just stated the met office have reported ash in the north of scotland.

may just be hype though.

Ash fall reported in the Faroe Islands - 'light yellowish material' 'fine and blows easy' according to news reports.

Posted

news 24 just stated the met office have reported ash in the north of scotland.

may just be hype though.

I suspect the UK will be covered in a thick layer of hype and overreaction in the next few days..... :rofl:

Posted

I suspect the UK will be covered in a thick layer of hype and overreaction in the next few days..... :rofl:

it's all ready getting done to death lol.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme

LOL A plot by the Labour party no doubt.

Some are saying they can smell rotten eggs outside, but I think their imaginations are leading their noses off on one!

Or some local muck spreading on the fields. Faulty cats on cars etc.

Some are saying they can smell rotten eggs outside, but I think their imaginations are leading their noses off on one!

Or some local muck spreading on the fields. Faulty cats on cars etc.

Anyway latest update. http://scienceblogs.com/eruptions/

Edited by The PIT

Posted

A lot of this ash cloud is also water vapour - think what the eruption is passing through after all. It's the water that is making it so explosive in nature.

Some great pictures here: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/in_pictures/8622055.stm

Edited by LadyPakal

Posted

is that not just cloud?

Following the source since 10:00am yesterday when the eruption began, the discolouration is obviously "spreading out" across the North Sea, soon to be caught on Wind Vectors taking it West across the entire UK. Coupled with the reports of Sulphic smells in both the Faeroes, Shetland Isles and Aberdeen.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

NATS website says no non emergency flights until 7AM at the earliest tomorrow now.