Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

South West England Cold Spell Discussion

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and thundery or Cold and snowy.

I think we will have to wait till the stuff that come slater for anything good.

This is due to stop soon ( according to teh radar )

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot sunny summers, cold snowy winters

Big heavy flakes coming down now, struggling to stick on most surfaces but the grass is starting to look more promising

Posted

Stopped at the moment weathercoxy (Filton) but would expect some more hopefully from that heavy stuff coming through Somerset. Temp remaining about 1C and DP around 0C. Bit of a covering on grass and roofs.

Posted

Turned back to rain now.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and snow

A very unsettled picture, looking at the radar! Potent looking areas of precipitation to the south.

Posted

Anyone in bristol still got snow.

More to come here in a while. This afternoon/evening could get a tad spicy as the PPN rotates further into the sub-200m WBFL above Bristol / B&NES and S. Glos / N Som. Note also fab scenes on Exmoor as per my last blog update. I stress orography not as important a factor in today's set-up for snow compared to PPN intensity / evaporational cooling. We've seen this already at work in the heavier convective embedded cells.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot sunny , cold and snowy, thunderstorms

Will be interesting to see what happens tonight.

The SAT24 sat image is showing a LOT bubbling up down south ready to move north..

Once this line passes it shoudl cool down and then even more will move north..

Howe far east it reaches though......

I think we have a better chance tomorrow for snow from as you said those showers bubbling up.

Today is going to be mostly rain, in the heavier bursts it did briefly turn to snow though.

Posted

More to come here in a while. This afternoon/evening could get a tad spicy as the PPN rotates further into the sub-200m WBFL above Bristol / B&NES and S. Glos / N Som. Note also fab scenes on Exmoor as per my last blog update. I stress orography not as important a factor in today's set-up for snow compared to PPN intensity / evaporational cooling. We've seen this already at work in the heavier convective embedded cells.

Hi Ian,

I guess its a busy day today for you then :blush: or :wallbash:

Am i right in thinking this will move eastwards as a whole ?

Ive been watching the sat loop on sat24 and can see a slight eastwards movement with some cells/showes appearing off the south coast quite quickly.

While currently everything is moving northwards over the western flank of us, Is this expected to slowly shift eastwards as the day moves on?

I cant make a clear judgement on it.

Thanks

G

Posted

Morning Ian,

What sort of indication have you got in terms of the progression of the rotation through the day as the shortwave moves through?

Is it modelled as staying pretty central to the bristol channel type area for a good part of the day or is it headed slowly NW all the time?

Kind Regards

SK

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

Hi Ian, do you you think you could quickly tell what should happen here as were suupposed to be going out tonight but not sure whether its going to be bad here or the snow wont really stick etc.

Thanks. :)

Posted

Hi Ian,

I guess its a busy day today for you then smile.gif or sad.gif

Am i right in thinking this will move eastwards as a whole ?

Ive been watching the sat loop on sat24 and can see a slight eastwards movement with some cells/showes appearing off the south coast quite quickly.

While currently everything is moving northwards over the western flank of us, Is this expected to slowly shift eastwards as the day moves on?

I cant make a clear judgement on it.

Thanks

G

It'll shift graudally eastwards and northwards as the low transfers across towards the Wash tonight.

Latest NAE draws the lower WBFL 'backwash' right down through a fair part of Somerset for a while into early evening with signal for some snow appearing quite far south into the county for a little while. Probably not enough to stick really at low levels but we shall see. Snow risk transfers this eve up out of Glos into Oxon, N./ Berks, Bucks, Beds, Herts and principally northeastwards towards Lincs and Notts.

Tomorrow paints rather few showers into parts of the SW with the exception of Cornwall and W Devon - many suggested here in organised bands, often wintry. A few up the Bristol Channel at times.

Oh - Remember some days ago I was highlighting the 21/22nd period as one to watch?

Keep eyes on Mon.....

Posted

Well, I was about to post that it had started to turn more to sleet/rain here (Bath - up by the racecourse)...

But in the last couple of mins it has turned back to fairly heavy snow!... Big flakes again!...

I don't think it would take much change in temps for the centre of Bath to see snow!

Posted

Morning Ian,

What sort of indication have you got in terms of the progression of the rotation through the day as the shortwave moves through?

Is it modelled as staying pretty central to the bristol channel type area for a good part of the day or is it headed slowly NW all the time?

Kind Regards

SK

Latest analysis feeds the PPN fairly steadily arcing into Bristol along the M4 for a while this afternoon, still with heavier localised pulses, before the NE motion of the departing LP centre takes it all away in a less coherent (and lighter intensity) fashion. Thus our concerns for further snow risk into urban areas here for this evening rush-hour as the WBFL's pretty much drop to the deck and the PPN rate becomes less of a determining factor.... but will see what the 12Z run makes of things!

Cheers - gotta dash!

Posted

It'll shift graudally eastwards and northwards as the low transfers across towards the Wash tonight.

Latest NAE draws the lower WBFL 'backwash' right down through a fair part of Somerset for a while into early evening with signal for some snow appearing quite far south into the county for a little while. Probably not enough to stick really at low levels but we shall see. Snow risk transfers this eve up out of Glos into Oxon, N./ Berks, Bucks, Beds, Herts and principally northeastwards towards Lincs and Notts.

Tomorrow paints rather few showers into parts of the SW with the exception of Cornwall and W Devon - many suggested here in organised bands, often wintry. A few up the Bristol Channel at times.

Oh - Remember some days ago I was highlighting the 21/22nd period as one to watch?

Keep eyes on Mon.....

Thanks Ian.

Ill certainly take a look at the 21/22nd. Lets see what all the fuss is about ( ive heard others mention it also )

Today is going to be interesting. never know whats gonna happen.

-G

Posted

Latest analysis feeds the PPN fairly steadily arcing into Bristol along the M4 for a while this afternoon, still with heavier localised pulses, before the NE motion of the departing LP centre takes it all away in a less coherent (and lighter intensity) fashion. Thus our concerns for further snow risk into urban areas here for this evening rush-hour as the WBFL's pretty much drop to the deck and the PPN rate becomes less of a determining factor.... but will see what the 12Z run makes of things!

Cheers - gotta dash!

Thanks as ever Ian!

As for your comment about monday - your becoming as big a tease as rob mcelwee

SK

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms followed by snow (preferably on the same day!)

Wasn't it meant to be really windy on 21/22nd?

BBC has heavy rain for us here but lightish winds. I don't mind rain if it's accompanied with strong winds. My friend's daughter wants me to take her to the seafront next time we get windy conditions so she can see the big waves (she complained yesterday that they weren't big enough lol) smile.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms followed by snow (preferably on the same day!)

Blizzard here just look at the cardiff bay webcam!

Wow! It really is snowing in Cardiff big time!! Enjoy....