Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

Scottish Cold Spell Discussion

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy in winter, a good mix of weather the rest of the time

So to clarify, you think it could be a sleety mess in Edinburgh?

Latest MetO update supports rain on the east coast, I ain't counting my chickens.

I think after 3pm tomorrow it looks distinctly marginal for anywhere within 15 miles of the coast, but whether the cold air can stick around long enough for snow to persist across Edinburgh is another matter. It might just stay heavy enough for evap. cooling to come into play of course, in which case By-Tor might have the highest snowfall totals, but the boundary lines between sleet and snow at what time is looking messy to say the least! I suspect the Lomonds will come into play as a boundary line in some form or another i.e. if the wind is more easterly then anywhere west is going to get pasted, if more southerly then north of the hill becomes the major snow area, of course that is rather simplistic and localised but it worked on the 26th/27th December, it worked on the 17th December when anywhere west saw much less than here but on the 2nd/3rd February 2009, the great letdown of the last winter, it was rain anywhere other than the hill.

• Replies 402
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

GFS has 60mm of rain forecast at my location between tomorrow and Friday 9am.

25mm of that is forecast as snow almost all between 3pm tomorrow and 9am on Thursday, the rest of the precip is forecast as sleet or icy rain. A little nudge to the right side of marginal could see rather a lot of snow somewhere in Scotland :)

(not that GFS precip forecasts are cast-iron :))

Posted

Yep LS, its going to be a classic nowcast situation and some places may have heavy settling snow whilst just down the road it could be sleety rain. How much snow has settled overnight could even play a role, however I do think it will indeed become very marginal by the coasts, but the early hours of Wednesday does look VERY interesting, esp for S.Scotland.

I think 4-6 inches is quite possibly fairly widely.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything outwith the mean.

Dew points still at -1c in Embra, Glesgae and Dundee. Long way to go of course but at least a few of the right things are currently in place.

Dew points still at -1c in Embra, Glesgae and Dundee. Long way to go of course but at least a few of the right things are currently in place.

Prestwick Airport dew point is -3C. Let's get ticking boxes :drunk:

Edit: Ground is frozen solid after days on end of heavy duty frost (another tick for snow to gather well)

Edited by CatchMyDrift

Add a tick for it being early morning when the snow arrives! Probably the coldest time of day/night we could hope for!

Sounds good to me.

Totally off on a tangent but does anyone know if the curling will be on the telly later?? Or online??

Posted

It's not that cold for another go at the Bonspiel, is it? :lol:

Watched the STV weather forecast just after that ridiculous 5 O'clock show or whatever it's called. Showed plenty snow spiralling in from a SE'ly direction, meeting the embedded cold air many of us still have. Midnight tonight onwards, apparently..

Posted

Sounds good to me.

Totally off on a tangent but does anyone know if the curling will be on the telly later?? Or online??

Here's a good site I use to check whats on telly! Looks like it's on BBC2 London at 7PM right after Priceless Antiques Roadshow! :lol:

Posted

Sounds good to me.

Think it is on BBC 2 - 23:20 until 06:00 :) (According to tvguide.co.uk)

Also live on catchuptv.com and probably on BBC :lol:

----

Snowing lightly here.. :)

Edited by snowmess

Here's a good site I use to check whats on telly! Looks like it's on BBC2 London at 7PM right after Priceless Antiques Roadshow! :excl:

It doesn't start until 10pm Mr S :) It must be on online red button thingy. I will find it later :) :) I hope.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: SNOW :-D

Hi all

It's was -9 this morining, now it's +1 I don't see how we will get snow if the temp is going up? I'm not holding out much hope, don't get me wrong I want a final dump before winter ends, we'll just have to wait and see.

Posted

Add a tick for it being early morning when the snow arrives! Probably the coldest time of day/night we could hope for!

Add another for the Met only having an advisory, and not a full blown alert! :excl:

Posted

A wee ramp would not go amiss and a dumping of the white stuff would go down a treat.......:excl::)

I'm almost afraid to hope - especially as the models have been most unreliable over the last three weeks even as far as 48hours out!!

Posted

Ok - I'm getting excited now - I did say that I would wait until Wednesday, but bugger it..

WOOOO HOOOO

:excl:

Problem I now face - BBC main weather shows the snow hitting central belt around mid morning tomorrow, however, the last thing I want is to get snowed in in Glasgow centre given I need to drive home, and I can't drive in snow :)

What's the thinking for timing tonight ?

Looking at everything, I'm thinking we may see it through the night as opposed to the initial hit being tomorrow mid morning..

(ps - anything for a reason to not go to work :) )

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy in winter, a good mix of weather the rest of the time

Hi all

It's was -9 this morining, now it's +1 I don't see how we will get snow if the temp is going up? I'm not holding out much hope, don't get me wrong I want a final dump before winter ends, we'll just have to wait and see.

Well since most of that time has had either sunshine or bits and pieces of cloud, 1C isn't too bad really after a cold start. It doesn't matter anyway, the cold pool will be coming straight from the southern uplands bringing colder dew points through tomorrow, but how long this will stick around will be anyone's guess.

Ooph a decidedly underwhelming weather report from Gail....

:) Well put Graeme, that's a great description :)

Slush by tea-time across the central belt...hopefully she's just "done a Heather" (remember that forecast in December :excl:)

Edited by CatchMyDrift

Posted

:lol: Well put Graeme, that's a great description :)

Slush by tea-time across the central belt...hopefully she's just "done a Heather" (remember that forecast in December :whistling:)

As my dear old dad used to say..

"I'm underwhelmed at your enthusiasm"

:D