Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scottish Cold Spell Discussion

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy in winter, a good mix of weather the rest of the time

Thanks. I take it the subtitle alludes to the marginally absurd ramp I had when claiming that next week could make '47 look like 01/02..... seemed reasonable enough to me!laugh.gif

edit: Or maybe I should start in a more cautious note carried over from the last thread?

I don't think you would be in any way unreasonable in saying that (we're almost guaranteed sig. snow next week), but the way the models have been all over the place there are setups which I can't yet imagine and haven't been shown on the models yet (maybe the 12Z GFS) that do not give us either status quo/lots of snow which might be adopted overnight. I don't see it, I doubt many see it happening, but I don't think I could rule it out.

In fact, I'll cover my back and take the Calvinistic route out - since we can't predict 24 hours out, what's the point of looking any further than that? It might as well be nailded on mild pesterlies with 'no drifts up to your waist (that's right I read Stratos Ferric's urban dictionary!!) for all the chance we've got!

My blend of these three outcomes for today would be this - 5% the first one, 40% middle ground between top and middle one, 35% the middle one itself and 20% the last one for good measure.

Perhaps I should stop wittering now and just go to sleep?closedeyes.gif

Did Monds look like this after last night's foray into the model thread? vava.gif

Where did Shuggee go? Will he return for East Central's next biggie for some good old fashioned NMM watching fun?

Ok, I've lost it now, perhaps I'll regain sanity in the morning.

LS

Edited by LomondSnowstorm

Posted

The end is nigh...

Ohhh boy... 14 to 22 inches... of snow... We should totally try get our own over-exaggerated weather forecast like that one for Baltimore! Paralyzing!!!! Haha!

Posted

The end is nigh...

Ohhh boy... 14 to 22 inches... of snow... We should totally try get our own over-exaggerated weather forecast like that one for Baltimore! Paralyzing!!!! Haha!

And here's me today test driving a new motor thinking of swapping my 4x4!!!!!!! :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: Warm/Dry enough for a t-shirt. Winter: Cold enough for a scarf.

It is currently -9 in Glasgow.

But www.weather.co.uk believe that when I step outside, it will feel like -13.

Bah! We can handle that now.

cold.gifph34r.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Freezing fog, frost, snow, sunshine.

cold.gifph34r.gif

A minus -14'C windchill for Inverness, no thank you! cold.gif

cold.gifph34r.gif

3rd coldest night of the winter at Glasgow Airport :) although it has been -9C on five other occastions.

No fog this morning but one of the thickest frosts of the winter, the ground must be frozen to a good depth now. All the better if we get some snow next week :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Freezing fog, frost, snow, sunshine.

-5'c in parts of Eilean Siar, it's a cold one alright laugh.gif

Posted

Morning chaps...........correct-a-moondo.......its baltic this morning. Everything frozen solid for the last 2 days really.

Charts look very good this morning for mega snow event later in the week, but couple of boring days to start with. We may be lucky later today and get a few showers onto the coast as a little wind develops from the east.

Morning chaps...........correct-a-moondo.......its baltic this morning. Everything frozen solid for the last 2 days really.

Charts look very good this morning for mega snow event later in the week, but couple of boring days to start with. We may be lucky later today and get a few showers onto the coast as a little wind develops from the east.

I haven't looked at the rest of the models yet but the low which the GFS has bringing snow for us on Friday looks a little overcooked and will probably not come as far north as shown here:

post-2844-12667390200017_thumb.png

If that verified then the wind would be as much of an issue as any snow. Forecasts of sustained wind of 38mph at Glasgow Airport would see gusts of 70mph+, and this from an easterly wind. I think not :lol:

Posted

I haven't looked at the rest of the models yet but the low which the GFS has bringing snow for us on Friday looks a little overcooked and will probably not come as far north as shown here:

post-2844-12667390200017_thumb.png

If that verified then the wind would be as much of an issue as any snow. Forecasts of sustained wind of 38mph at Glasgow Airport would see gusts of 70mph+, and this from an easterly wind. I think not laugh.gif

Overcooked is the understatement of the winter. We are forecast to have 60 hours of snow from late Wednesday to Friday. If that fell at 1" an hour, we would have 10ft of level snow and I guess with the Easterly winds of 38 - 70 mph, drifts will be around 40 - 50ft deeprofl.gifrofl.gif . Not really that likely, or am I being pesasimistic (where is spell check when needed)

Edited by Snowplough33

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snaw!

Overcooked is the understatement of the winter. We are forecast to have 60 hours of snow from late Wednesday to Friday. If that fell at 1" an hour, we would have 10ft of level snow and I guess with the Easterly winds of 38 - 70 mph, drifts will be around 40 - 50ft deeprofl.gifrofl.gif . Not really that likely, or am I being pesasimistic (where is spell check when needed)

I disagree 60 hours of constant snow looks weldid on to me laugh.gif

Realistic more than pessimistic. Although the FAX charts have a front moving slowly north with strong easterly winds....

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold. Enjoy all extremes though.

Moaning! Lowest we got was -5.9c overnight. It is now -4.5c with a westerly wind. Popped into the models and yes it does look good for us next week. Methinks we have been here before though? Anyway, not many posters mentioning Scotland next week, all the talk of northern England being worst hit. Must get my specs sorted! :D

Edited by Blitzen

Posted

-7 in Stirling just now, so I hate to think what the low was overnight...

Blitzen - I'm sure we were "here" this time last week, and we all know what happened there :D

If the charts are still showing someting around the Wed 12z/18z then I may start getting excited ...

Posted

Moaning! Lowest we got was 5.9c overnight. It is now -4.5c with a westerly wind. Popped into the models and yes it does look good for us next week. Methinks we have been here before though? Anyway, not many posters mentioning Scotland next week, all the talk of northern England being worst hit. Must get my specs sorted! rolleyes.gif

Yeh these are very clever weather systems that can lines themselfes up exactly on the border and not cross them. If you stood there, you could be in heavy snow, take a step to the left and be out of it. Amazing !!whistling.gif

Posted

Great to see the cold becoming embedded again up here. That's always a good sign. If those lows manage to line up correctly next week, then we may land up with the best dumping of the winter so far. Even Catch might get some!! :D

Well, just about time for the 6z. God, I can't look!

Edited by Blitzen

If the charts are still showing someting around the Wed 12z/18z then I may start getting excited ...

I'm with you on this one Graeme. It's a little like telling kids every night that the next day is Xmas, only for them to wake up in the morning and be told, nah, it's tomorrow or the day after. Or maybe the day after. Or next week possibly. Thursday? No. Saturday if you're lucky....

Great to see the cold becoming embedded again up here. That's always a good sign. If those lows manage to line up correctly next week, then we may land up with the best dumping of the winter so far. Even Catch might get some!! :D

:D

I hope so. Although a little part of me hopes it stays completely dry until the end of the month as then there is a chance of the driest winter in at least half a century here.

06z will no doubt go off on one and give us either 2 metres of snow over 5 days or 200mm of rain and 15C.

How do you spell Atlantic Returneth ?

Hopefully not beforeth someth snoweth :)

Edit: Looking at the 06z, not beforeth loads of snoweth!! :D

2nd Edit: Quick quick, panic buy bread and milk......ice age coming. What do you mean it's only one run?? OK.....I'll wait until Wednesday before getting excited :)

Edited by CatchMyDrift

Posted

Hopefully not beforeth someth snoweth :D

Argh !

Just wandered into the MT - I think we actually got a mention along the lines of

"Scotland will be cold".

Hmmmm.

Posted

06z looks rather impressive for some parts of Scotland on the 06z run, however its rather an outlier compared to the other models with what it does with the low pressure system, however don't rule it out by any means even because of this. IF the 06z did come off, probably looking at 15-25cms in some parts of W.Scotland, maybe even a foot locally if the 06z was right as a low jsut stalls over N.Ireland.

However its a rather odd run in that respect I'm afraid and I'm not sure I'd buy it, would lead to a pretty stunning fall though!

Also difference between the 0z run and the 06z runs LP is mental, LP this run is 25mbs weaker!

Edited by kold weather

Posted

Argh !

Just wandered into the MT - I think we actually got a mention along the lines of

"Scotland will be cold".

Hmmmm.

Looks to me as if the snow arrives about 12hrs earlier and on quite a strong easterly flow on this run?

post-1989-12667464071617_thumb.pngpost-1989-12667464286917_thumb.png

Shut up Carole and pay attention to what Kold is saying! :D

Edited by Blitzen

Posted

Looks to me as if the snow arrives about 12hrs earlier and on quite a strong easterly flow on this run?

post-1989-12667464071617_thumb.pngpost-1989-12667464286917_thumb.png

I'm liking this...for Thursday

post-10485-12667464860717_thumb.gif