Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

Scottish Cold Spell Discussion

Morning Catch. Are you any happier with the runs this a.m.? Looks as if we are on the right track, no?

Morning Blitzen, how are you today? :)

Well LS seems to have got his southgrade and it does seem doubtful that the low can just power up through Scotland so I'm starting to think we might get something. I haven't looked at any of the runs in detail, too busy getting organised for a busy day, but I will have time to have a good look at the 06z over a cuppa and with Jeremy Kyle on in the background :lol: :)

Off out in the cold cloudy morning now :)

Edited by CatchMyDrift

• Replies 402
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, warm spring, hot summers - nae chance in Scottie though!

Are you kidding? :( I have felt sea-sick with the amount of ups and downs with the models lately. Yesterday's runs looked as if it was all turning a bit marginal again. The 00zs are looking much better tho' Looks as if it is still on for the early hours of Wednesday through till Friday/Saturday at least. That would do me fine for this winter if it comes off. Hope you had a nice holiday. :)

Sounds great Blitzen, thanks for that.

Yep had a great holiday, two weeks of blue skies, unbroken sunshine and lovely warm/hot weather. weather was much more predictable!!

Morning Blitzen, how are you today? :)

Well LS seems to have got his southgrade and it does seem doubtful that the low can just power up through Scotland so I'm starting to think we might get something. I haven't looked at any of the runs in detail, too busy getting organised for a busy day, but I will have time to have a good look at the 06z over a cuppa and with Jeremy Kyle on in the background :unknw::)

Off out in the cold cloudy morning now :)

Hi CMD - funny i saw Jeremy twice on holiday, looks like all his shows are taped then.LOL!

Edited by snowy owl

Posted

Morning folks........another cold one -9C at 9am.

I have been suffering with Netweather withdrawal symptoms. No Broadband over the weekend so rang and ended talking to a young man in India who obviously hadn't a clue what was wrong!!! Told that a visit from a BT engineer would happen first thing this morning.........but at 8.30am I am back on line and no visit from BT. Obviously a problem at the exchange and nobody on duty to rectify or check where the problem was on the line! I am so dependent on the internet and hated it. Would rather do without TV. (can get internet TV anyway..lol)

Anyway back to the weather, there looks like there is a possibility for some snow wednesday/thursday this week in northern areas, but again nothing set in stone!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snaw

Off ill today with some virus the wee one kindly brought back from nursery bad.gif

This cheered me up though...

Outlook for Wednesday to Friday:

Windy and mostly cloudy with outbreaks of sleet and snow on Wednesday and Thursday. most persistent across Borders with local moderate falls and drifting in strengthening northeast winds. Friday brighter.yahoo.gif

Updated: 0312 on Mon 22 Feb 2010

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, warm spring, hot summers - nae chance in Scottie though!

well surprise snowfall here this morning. That wasn't forecast? Now lying on the ground, quite moderate snowfall!!

Posted

Off ill today with some virus the wee one kindly brought back from nursery bad.gif

This cheered me up though...

Outlook for Wednesday to Friday:

Windy and mostly cloudy with outbreaks of sleet and snow on Wednesday and Thursday. most persistent across Borders with local moderate falls and drifting in strengthening northeast winds. Friday brighter.yahoo.gif

Updated: 0312 on Mon 22 Feb 2010

yes it do look good at the mo hope it dont change much

Hope you get better soon

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold. Enjoy all extremes though.

These models are doing my head in! Again it looks marginal after a few hours on Wednesday! I don't pay much attention past T120' so roll on the 12zs.

06z operational gives us snow then sleet then rain then sleet then snow in different quantities depending where you live :D

Edit: Some Scottish mountains would get a huge dump of snow off that, several feet probably :D

Edited by CatchMyDrift

Posted

The GFS this winter has continually over estimated low pressure coming off the Atlantic from the south west and I do feel this is still the case. My own view is that the low moving in on Wednesday will not be as progressive as the GFS is currently showing and my concern is probably more to do with if it will actually move far enough north to give my area the real heavy stuff based on the other models output.

So if I take an average of the progressiveness of the GFS moving the low north and my worry that it wont get far enough north I think things should be okay for me.

Posted

Updated warning for Weds and Thurs....

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/uk/uk_forecast_warnings.html

*joins Joe on bended knee*

Can the both of you move over please! ;)

Can the both of you move over please! :drinks:

I have to admit that the nerves have set in with me, I don't know why as it is only the weather. I am desperate for some decent snowfall to end this cold winter and I get the feeling that there is no better time than this week!!

Getting towards NAE range now:

post-2844-12668419482417_thumb.gif

Posted
  • Location: The Highlands of West Fife. 650ft ASL. Nr Knockhill Racing Circuit
  • Weather Preferences: Hot N' Sunny / Cauld N' Snawy

I have to admit that the nerves have set in with me, I don't know why as it is only the weather. I am desperate for some decent snowfall to end this cold winter and I get the feeling that there is no better time than this week!!

Getting towards NAE range now:

post-2844-12668419482417_thumb.gif

Ah Catch,

As usual, I can see that Fife ull no be invited tae this veritable snowfest then whistling.gif

I'll just keep the weather that we are having at the moment then if you don't mind drinks.gif

Big Innes

Edited by Big Innes Madori

Posted

Looks as if we may get lucky this time folks as BBC24 is forecasting it for Wednesday. :)

Although, just look at Fife sticking outwith the precipitation on that chart!

Edited by Blitzen

Posted

Yeah Wednesday looks interesting as the action transfers northwards for at least a while, the only worry is a 06z evolution where the low sets up to the west of Scotland...interestingly the GFS is still the outlier for that evolution as other models keep the southern low the strongest for quite a while longer, the only difference that makes is they would also very much reduce the risk of it becoming the wrong side of marginal, which is what the 06z GFS does for Friday.

Posted

Looks as if we may get lucky this time folks as BBC24 is forecasting it for Wednesday. smile.gif

Aye Blitzen,

That's what I was getting at, in my reply as above to Catchdry.gif

Big Innes

Looks as if we may get lucky this time folks as BBC24 is forecasting it for Wednesday. :)

(this to Big Innes too)

I think the precip will reach you by Thursday, as per the Met-O warning :fingerscrossedsmilie:

I'm not sure how long it will stay as snow down here though, I suppose we will find out soon :)

When can the ramping start??

post-2844-12668434396317_thumb.jpg

Yeah Wednesday looks interesting as the action transfers northwards for at least a while, the only worry is a 06z evolution where the low sets up to the west of Scotland...interestingly the GFS is still the outlier for that evolution as other models keep the southern low the strongest for quite a while longer, the only difference that makes is they would also very much reduce the risk of it becoming the wrong side of marginal, which is what the 06z GFS does for Friday.

I am not fussy if it is marginal by Friday KW, one big dump of snow and I'm happy :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snaw

Wee graupel shower just passed over here.

Better than a kick in the teeth.biggrin.gif

Posted

(this to Big Innes too)

I think the precip will reach you by Thursday, as per the Met-O warning :fingerscrossedsmilie:

I'm not sure how long it will stay as snow down here though, I suppose we will find out soon smile.gif

When can the ramping start??

post-2844-12668434396317_thumb.jpg

I am not fussy if it is marginal by Friday KW, one big dump of snow and I'm happy good.gif

Mmmm Catch,

The only prolonged or abundant precipitation that my area has received in recent years, has been of the liquid variety dry.gif

Stick or Twist cc_confused.gif

Stick pleasegood.gif

Big Innes.

Posted

Must get my footwear sorted out: What will it be? These;post-1989-12668442281317_thumb.jpgthese:post-1989-12668442607017_thumb.jpg these:post-1989-12668442784217_thumb.jpg or these:post-1989-12668443007117_thumb.jpg :)

Probably this!

post-1989-12668446450117_thumb.jpg

Edited by Blitzen

Mmmm Catch,

The only prolonged or abundant precipitation that my area has received in recent years, has been of the liquid variety dry.gif

Stick or Twist cc_confused.gif

Stick pleasegood.gif

Big Innes.

I would normally stick with the cold and dry weather too, but I'm bored of it now. I like my weather to do things. We've had less rain in the last 2 months than we had in 2 days in November. There's only so many times you can wake up and go "Oooooo, frost!" :)

Everywhere is filthy with grime and silt, we need a month of wild, wet and windy weather; but not until after a huge dump of snow.

*I'm never happy, am I??*

Just as a complete off on a tangent: does anyone think it would be wrong to feed the neighbour's cats since she has left them outside and they are going mental??

Posted

Just as a complete off on a tangent: does anyone think it would be wrong to feed the neighbour's cats since she has left them outside and they are going mental??

I wouldn't if she is due back today as you would never get rid! If she is away for longer then you can't see them starve.

I am not a lover of cats I'm afraid but they are pretty resilient animals.

Here's an extract from my future blog, yes, yes, it's all in my head. But where would we be without dreams??

Friday 25th Feb 2010:

Woke up this morning to find it is still snowing; but I needed to go out to get some supplies in for the family. Was going to drive to the shops but the car was needing a bit of a scrape:

post-2844-12668451630217_thumb.jpg

Took the bus instead. What a nightmare! Not only was it two hours late but by the time I got to ASDA it was gone. Not the bus! ASDA was buried, look:

post-2844-12668452447917_thumb.jpg

At this point I gave up and made my way home. Thankfully when I got back home MrsCatch had put some beer into the new fridge:

post-2844-12668453141417_thumb.jpg

I necked six bwweers quik srtyl and sart dowwn to shre thsi blgg. Hic.

Edited by CatchMyDrift