Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scottish Cold Spell Discussion

Lol to this -

rofl.gif

I knew it!! Dundee has declared independence from the rest of the UK. Can we come too??

I wonder if the spirits told him that Dundee was now independent?? Or if he was on the spirits??

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy in winter, a good mix of weather the rest of the time

I knew it!! Dundee has declared independence from the rest of the UK. Can we come too??

I wonder if the spirits told him that Dundee was now independent?? Or if he was on the spirits??

I dunno, but 14 inches in the southeast - 14 inches of rain perhaps? If not, he's clearly off his head. +the Dundee area includes northeast Fife, I assume, so I got a bit excited when I saw that in the comment then I saw who it was from and what the rest said and came up with this response to it wallbash.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: A foggy and frosty morning with newly fallen pristine snow - Paradise!

The latter Catch, the latter. :crazy:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snaw

That's seriously cool (pun notwithstanding), considering all the GW bullcrap we've been forcefed...

You don't know your facts. According to GW 'experts', the cooling we have seen over past few years is part of the warming.

Obvious apparently. We're just fools that don't understand this. biggrin.gif

Edit: monster of a shower off the eastern borders. Meto still think this is going to pass across me. Hmmm.

Edited by scottish skier

Posted

You don't know your facts. According to GW 'experts', the cooling we have seen over past few years is part of the warming.

Obvious apparently. We're just fools that don't understand this. biggrin.gif

It's easy to win if you keep changing the goalposts... :crazy:

If it's hot then it's GW, if its cool it's GW, if it doesn't rain it's GW, if it monsoons down it's GW, if it snows in winter it's GW, if it's a milder than 'average' winter it's GW, if there's a drought it's GW, if it floods it's GW.... continue ad nauseum

Oh, I forgot - if you get record hot weather it is GW, but if, however, you get record cold weather - it's just weather.

Edited by LadyPakal

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold. Enjoy all extremes though.

Feeling a bit deflated after reading EITS post on the MOD thread. He seems pretty sure that any precipitation will not reach this far up next week. :crazy:

Posted

Feeling a bit deflated after reading EITS post on the MOD thread. He seems pretty sure that any precipitation will not reach this far up next week. nonono.gif

Dinna fash yersel. Ther'll be snaw. They sassenachs dinnae ken nowt aboot Scots weither.

A few strong showers appearing out off the Forth down down to Berwick and moving westwards. A mini easterly tonight? We live in hope.good.gif

Edited by scottish skier

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy in winter, a good mix of weather the rest of the time

Feeling a bit deflated after reading EITS post on the MOD thread. He seems pretty sure that any precipitation will not reach this far up next week. nonono.gif

He gets it wrong sometimes thoughpardon.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: A foggy and frosty morning with newly fallen pristine snow - Paradise!

He gets it wrong sometimes thoughpardon.gif

Frequently IMHO. :cray:

Interesting fact guys and gals, the temperature rise from night minima to day maxima the last three days has been exactly 11.6C.

Friday -6.8C to +4.8C

Saturday -6.9C to +4.7C

Today -7.2C to +4.4C

These have been fully sunny days from Sunrise to Sunset. Snow would have much more problems lying now for any length of time with this warming ability.

Posted

Frequently IMHO. whistling.gif

Interesting fact guys and gals, the temperature rise from night minima to day maxima the last three days has been exactly 11.6C.

Friday -6.8C to +4.8C

Saturday -6.9C to +4.7C

Today -7.2C to +4.4C

These have been fully sunny days from Sunrise to Sunset. Snow would have much more problems lying now for any length of time with this warming ability.

Still snow lying at Buckhaven in the shade after only a cm or two two nights ago! I think sustained snow cover would last a few days purely because of such low minima meaning it freezes hard in the evenings and maxima are not above 5C or lasting a long period of time.

And yes, as much as I like TEITS he does get things wrong a lot like all of us.

Posted

Showers now making landfall at Dunbar and Eyemouth. Wonder if these will continue overnight or die out. Forecast is for easterly winds across central parts/borders coming around the low to the south tonight.

Hmm. Find myself clutching at something... What is it? Oh, a straw. How odd. Wonder what that means...

Posted

Showers now making landfall at Dunbar and Eyemouth. Wonder if these will continue overnight or die out. Forecast is for easterly winds across central parts/borders coming around the low to the south tonight.

Hmm. Find myself clutching at something... What is it? Oh, a straw. How odd. Wonder what that means...

You've been for a roll in the hay SS.:wacko:

Posted

You've been for a roll in the hay SS.whistling.gif

Lol. More fun than radar watching today anyway laugh.gif

Posted

ECM still fairly snowy here according to Icelandic site http://en.vedur.is/weather/forecasts/atlantic

The uppers push above -5 for a time around +120 but since it is overnight perhaps we could get away with it?

Doesn't matter really because this is unlikely to be the final outcome but I wonder if KW could perhaps give his thoughts on snow prospects for the coming week?

LS

Posted

Sooooo, having missed all the model output and shabang, how we looking for wednesday/thursday/friday? BBC seem have forecast heavy snow for wednesday day and night with light snow showers for thursday. We still in with a good shout at seeing some good snow this week? :(

Posted

Sooooo, having missed all the model output and shabang, how we looking for wednesday/thursday/friday? BBC seem have forecast heavy snow for wednesday day and night with light snow showers for thursday. We still in with a good shout at seeing some good snow this week? smile.gif

We're still as uncertain as ever really, though it still looks like we're in with a good shout of either a bit of an easterly or some frontal snow.

Posted

We're still as uncertain as ever really, though it still looks like we're in with a good shout of either a bit of an easterly or some frontal snow.

Still uncertainty about our weather, ahwell. Best thing might be waiting till tomorrow nights or tuesdays output. Please don't southgrade, Please don't southgrade, Please don't southgrade, Please don't southgrade!

Posted

Evening all, I see model uncertainty still on the cards.

-2C here, overnight -7 and top today of 3C. Tee'd of this morning at Dullater and it was -6C played the first, saw penguins on the 2nd and moved directly to the 8th. That was the coldest round I have ever played. Also the furthest I have hit the ball, if you count the roll. :(

Posted

UKMO must've been snowier at these arctic latitudes than I first thought judging by the met update http://news.bbc.co.uk/weather/forecast/372?&showDay=D . But oh god the curse may return for Fife tomorrow in that case!! Aaargh!

Posted

UKMO must've been snowier at these arctic latitudes than I first thought judging by the met update http://news.bbc.co.u.../372?&showDay=D . But oh god the curse may return for Fife tomorrow in that case!! Aaargh!

Forget my earlier comments on the BBC. I think their forecasts are top notch and defo nailded. biggrin.gif

http://news.bbc.co.uk/weather/forecast/4300?&search=galashiels&itemsPerPage=10&region=world&area=Galashiels

Posted

Forget my earlier comments on the BBC. I think their forecasts are top notch and defo nailded. biggrin.gif

http://news.bbc.co.u...area=Galashiels

I understand that I'm being hypocritical by saying the forecast is a reflection on the UKMO when I said they were useless about 2 hours ago, but you know I just don't care!cold.giflaugh.gif

Posted

Another ice day here got to -0.5c at 1.00 pm and then fell all afternoon as I thought I would wash the car in the afternoon and ice was forming on it after the salt was washed off even in the sun. Currently -5c. Had a look through the farm diary and this is the 22nd ice day this winter since mid December, If we had four or five sub zero days in the last 30 or so winters we thought we were doing well. Would it be true to say that some places are not as cold as usual in the northern hemisphere for instance western Canada( Olympic Games snow shortage)and that the cold has been been more shared out across the norten hemisphere this year. I see southern North Sea temperatures are near 2c, not going to encourage an early spring. Ive surface also noticed today that the snow drops although flowering are hardly above the soil surface, got used to them being much taller in previous milder winters.

Posted

Another ice day here got to -0.5c at 1.00 pm and then fell all afternoon as I thought I would wash the car in the afternoon and ice was forming on it after the salt was washed off even in the sun. Currently -5c. Had a look through the farm diary and this is the 22nd ice day this winter since mid December, If we had four or five sub zero days in the last 30 or so winters we thought we were doing well. Would it be true to say that some places are not as cold as usual in the northern hemisphere for instance western Canada( Olympic Games snow shortage)and that the cold has been been more shared out across the norten hemisphere this year. I see southern North Sea temperatures are near 2c, not going to encourage an early spring. Ive surface also noticed today that the snow drops although flowering are hardly above the soil surface, got used to them being much taller in previous milder winters.

Suprisingly that part of Canada is probably the only place in the NH experiencing anomalous warmth - look at this http://128.6.226.99/~njwxnet/png/daily_ims/2010044.png

Second highest NH snow cover ON RECORD (though this only goes back to the days when global cooling was the in thing in 1966) only beaten by a week in 1978. Note that we are the only place on our latitude with no significant snow cover, but at times we've done a bit better than some parts for snow.

However, the only temperature record broken was this: on New Year's Day the village of Vrysses in Crete reached 30.4C (86.7F), breaking the European record for a high temperature in January.

Posted

Suprisingly that part of Canada is probably the only place in the NH experiencing anomalous warmth - look at this http://128.6.226.99/~njwxnet/png/daily_ims/2010044.png

Second highest NH snow cover ON RECORD (though this only goes back to the days when global cooling was the in thing in 1966) only beaten by a week in 1978. Note that we are the only place on our latitude with no significant snow cover, but at times we've done a bit better than some parts for snow.

However, the only temperature record broken was this: on New Year's Day the village of Vrysses in Crete reached 30.4C (86.7F), breaking the European record for a high temperature in January.

Thanks for the reply, another couple of questions I read somewhere that this January was the fourth warmest on record globally ,does that mean that the southern hemisphere is way above average with regards to temperature?

Also are the Madeira floods the result of the jetstream being so far south?