Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scottish Cold Spell Discussion

I won the lottery last night :)

Although it was only £10 so the big snowchase will have to wait for another day :)

I am going out to enjoy the sun as the constant scratching around all the weather websites while nothing is happening is doing my nut in. Plus we need a few bits and bobs from the shops for the tea and BoyCatch's packed lunch tomorrow :)

I might time it and be back just in time for the 12z, fancy that :) :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy in winter, a good mix of weather the rest of the time

At least we don't have this http://news.bbc.co.uk/weather/forecast/8/

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold. Enjoy all extremes though.

At least we don't have this http://news.bbc.co.uk/weather/forecast/8/

That is awful!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy in winter, a good mix of weather the rest of the time

Hmm.

We've got this...

http://news.bbc.co.u...r/forecast/2326

:sigh:

While I don't agree with that forecast, if that came off it would still beat London's weather with ease.

Posted

While I don't agree with that forecast, if that came off it would still beat London's weather with ease.

To be honest, I've been monitoring the beebs online forecast for my area, and I can't actually remember the last time they got anything right - be it the temps, or indeed, the actual weather.

Mind you, the last time I looked, Stirling wasn't quite in Grangemouth

:whistling:

:D

I know, the BBC website forecasts have Kilmacolm down as Port Glasgow, I mean seriously :whistling:

Posted

I know, the BBC website forecasts have Kilmacolm down as Port Glasgow, I mean seriously :lol:

It's still "Ra Weej" though innit ?

:whistling::D:D

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snaw

To be honest, I've been monitoring the beebs online forecast for my area, and I can't actually remember the last time they got anything right - be it the temps, or indeed, the actual weather.

biggrin.gif

If I try to get a beeb forecast for Lauder it gives me the one for Berwick upon Tweed 25 miles away on the coast and 200 m lower down.

That's precision for you!

Posted

ooo, a shower has just popped up to the east of here and is heading west. Will it make it...(postcode zoom KA1)

Posted

If I try to get a beeb forecast for Lauder it gives me the one for Berwick upon Tweed 25 miles away on the coast and 200 m lower down.

That's precision for you!

That's awful! So anyone living in your town about an hour before the picnic table snowfall began would've seen a forecast for mainly dry with a few sleet showers later! Mind you, the beeb would've had that down anyway even for Lauder judging by the rest of their forecasting for Scotland this winter. I can still remember the forecast at 7am on the 23rd which had clearly been recorded a few hours earlier by one of the lesser forecasters down in London showing a map with a little snow over Aberdeen and clear skies across the central belt for 7am even though the news was reporting on 5 inches in Edinburgh! The newsreader must have been a bit beamused.

ooo, a shower has just popped up to the east of here and is heading west. Will it make it...(postcode zoom KA1)

It will make it; as rain :whistling:

Looks like a big shower :) Let us know how you get on.....'mon the SNOW!!

It's still "Ra Weej" though innit ?

:D:ph34r::D

Not out here, Glasgow's not even the neighbouring council area to me. I don't think anyone from the Port (Port Glasgow) or Greenock would react well to being called a weegie :lol: I have no such excuse since I was born there :D

At least I'm not a wee buddie like the rest of my family :lol: even if they don't live there they were born there :lol:

Posted

Deja vu - the second GFS 12Z on the trot to have it the wrong side of marginal after Wednesday night http://charts.netweather.tv/gfsimages/gfs.20100221/12/87/h850t850eu.png

http://charts.netweather.tv/gfsimages/gfs.20100221/12/87/prectypeuktopo.png

Doubt this happening though as no other model has shown things this far north yet, combined with the usual slight 'southgrade' I think we should be ok

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow/Blizzards, Storms, Sun, Lightening

Good luck! :hi:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold. Enjoy all extremes though.

Oh well, hold the bread and milk! GEM is good tho' Still think it would be harder to shift all this cold air as quickly as GFS is showing. Probably just a blip (gulp!)

Edited by Blitzen

Posted

*** WORST FORECAST OF ALL TIME ***

Look - please read this as the model output area is the best location as it just shows how awful models can be !!

Went to bed last night - forecast of a perhaps a little light snow in morning... woke up to find 8 inches - which apparently fell between 3 and 6 this morning.

The heaviest snow fall in over 20 years.. Its like winter wonderland outside..

AND TOTALLY NOT FORECAST

Was it forecast by anything... nope!!!

So models... how fickle....

And if this week is anything to go by.. large dumpings of the white stuff will happen in the most unexpected of places...

... CHECK out the NEWS.... this must appear as a complete MISFORECAST by the met office... (ps I see they issued a weather warning this morning!! ho ho ho)

By someone in Downpatrick NI

I saw that earlier on the model thread and I thought it was brilliant. "They never forecast this but had a weather warning out". Indeed.

I wouldn't have been caring, I would have been outside pelting my boys with snowballs and getting them pelted back at me....if only.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow/Blizzards, Storms, Sun, Lightening

Unbelievable that they could be that wrong however it is norotiously difficult to forecast snow quantaties as fronts can stall over certain areas due to unforseen changes to wind direction etc. Still that is shocking!

Posted

Going by climate UK Scotland looks like it could record the 2nd coldest winter since 1914.

That's seriously cool (pun notwithstanding), considering all the GW bullcrap we've been forcefed...

Posted

Lol to this -

Just put my little forecast for the coming week or so by viewing the current models and using my own techniques for anyone interested.

Wintry mix from now until mid week with some large accumulations. Friday onwards there will be some quite remarkable accumulations of snow for Scotland and the Dundee area.

The South East of the UK will see up to or near 15 inch or more with Bedford and the surrounding counties seeing large accumulations.

The midlands will also see large accumulations. Many parts of south west UK will not be spared!

Looking beyond February have a date for a weather event which showed up and will play out from around the 14 to 16th March.

rofl.gif