Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scottish Cold Spell Discussion

However its a rather odd run in that respect I'm afraid and I'm not sure I'd buy it,

I would buy it, how much for three?? :D

I know what you mean though.

As for the low being weaker, the 00z was way overcooked, maybe this one is undercooked so the old favourite of "somewhere in the middle" will be the result? However, the front stalling like this is not completely out of line with what the FAX charts are showing, I think.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy in winter, a good mix of weather the rest of the time

06z looks rather impressive for some parts of Scotland on the 06z run, however its rather an outlier compared to the other models with what it does with the low pressure system, however don't rule it out by any means even because of this. IF the 06z did come off, probably looking at 15-25cms in some parts of W.Scotland, maybe even a foot locally if the 06z was right as a low jsut stalls over N.Ireland.

However its a rather odd run in that respect I'm afraid and I'm not sure I'd buy it, would lead to a pretty stunning fall though!

Also difference between the 0z run and the 06z runs LP is mental, LP this run is 25mbs weaker!

The 00Z GFS was pretty good also, bringing some hefty snow showers to eastern Scotland before the front pushes north on Thursday night

http://charts.netweather.tv/gfsimages/gfs.20100221/00/96/ukprec.png

http://charts.netweather.tv/gfsimages/gfs.20100221/00/126/ukprec.png

Either of these runs would do me to be honest! The ECM looks, to my untrained eye, slightly less good for snow?

http://charts.netweather.tv/ecmimages/20100221/00/ecm500.096.png

Not sure though, because I could imagine a decent streamer event popping up in that flow.

LS

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold. Enjoy all extremes though.

Well,at least there is no crash and burn yet so I am more than happy!

Posted

Well it got down to -8 c again early this morning but now brilliant sunshine and -2c. On clear bits of the frozen farm road dust is rising behind vehicles something I haven"t seen since September. Got a photo this morning of Ben Wyvis highlighted behind a snowfree Nairn and Black Isle. There must be a great depth of snow up there now. I still think its going to be a very late spring with all this frozen ground and the sea temperatures to the east now very low.post-2744-12667481668517_thumb.jpg

Posted

We hit -9 overnight, -5 when I got up. The cats were mithering to get out - bright sunshine and all that - so I opened the door and they both just stood there, you could almost hear them wondering why it is so cold with the sun out. Made me laugh anyway... cats can look puzzled. Saying that, the sun does feel warm on exposed skin.

Ice floating down the River Dee again, so ice is forming somewhere upstream.

Well it got down to -8 c again early this morning but now brilliant sunshine and -2c. On clear bits of the frozen farm road dust is rising behind vehicles something I haven"t seen since September. Got a photo this morning of Ben Wyvis highlighted behind a snowfree Nairn and Black Isle. There must be a great depth of snow up there now. I still think its going to be a very late spring with all this frozen ground and the sea temperatures to the east now very low.

You can really see why it is called the Black Isle (well, you can understand the Black part, maybe not the Isle part :shok:)

Even Catch might get some!! :o

If I hadn't gone to bed early last night then I might have seen this:

post-2844-12667498691017_thumb.jpg

MrsCatch said this morning that there seemed to be wee bits of snow on the cars in the lane and on the trampoline across the way. I said "don't be silly woman, there was no snow last night. I am the expert and you are but a mere civilian non-weather person"*. She was right and I was wrong :o

The hills to my west have another good dusting on them too :)

*actually I didn't say this, I'm not that much of a tube. I just said: "I don't think it is snow"

Posted
  • Location: The Highlands of West Fife. 650ft ASL. Nr Knockhill Racing Circuit
  • Weather Preferences: Hot N' Sunny / Cauld N' Snawy
  • Location: The Highlands of West Fife. 650ft ASL. Nr Knockhill Racing Circuit

Morning All,

Another lovely crisp winters day and again not a single flake of snow has graced these parts this weekend dry.gif

Currently enjoying some of the most dry settled weather in many a year and that includes the so called summer time also. (Was it not supposed to have been an unsettled low pressure week) cc_confused.gif

What I would give for days like these (temperatures aside) during the middle of the year, ahhh man clap.gif

If ah canny hae snaw, then I'll take this amount of Blue Sky and Sunshine a' the time good.gif

Big Innes.

Edited by Big Innes Madori

Posted

it's been snowing here on and off all day so far (just a dusting each time )

i'll see if i can get some pics when the camera charges

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?

'Black Peninsula' isn't as catchy though... perhaps 'Peninsula Nigra', that would make folk wonder..

You can really see why it is called the Black Isle (well, you can understand the Black part, maybe not the Isle part :))

Posted

I find this very interesting. If you look at the snow depth graph, it shows that the central belt has received the least amount of snow over this winter. The exception being one or two inland areas in central England who come in slightly lower.

Edited by Blitzen

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snaw

Afternoon all.

According to the Meto invent thingymijig http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/pws/invent/weathermap/, I'm (eastern borders) due for a wee bit snow later today. Eastern fringes of Fife too.

Not sure how much credence I'll give that, but there are a few heaver shower bads near the coast at Bamburgh just across the border. Sort of heading this way.

Looking forward to snow/drymageddon later in the week.biggrin.gif

I find this very interesting. If you look at the snow depth graph, it shows that the central belt has received the least amount of snow over this winter. The exception being one or two inland areas in central England who come in slightly lower.

The snow depth graphic is for "Recorded snow depths at 0900 GMT on Thursday 7 January 2010" so it is just a snapshot. However, I do think it reflects the lack of snow in some parts of Scotland over the whole Dec-Jan period since much of the snow was accumulated over a long period of time.

(did that make sense?? :good:)

Guest North Sea Snow Convection

http://forum.netweat...e-re-cold-snap/

Spring is some way off for you all up there. Enjoy the snow and the cold!cold.gifbiggrin.gif

It looks a good week ahead!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snaw

Spring is some way off for you all up there. Enjoy the snow and the cold!cold.gifbiggrin.gif

Thanks. While the N and NE of kiltland has done well, central and the borders have been somewhat snow starved over the past month, even though temps have been right. We're all hoping that the forecast for later in the week comes off.

Kent eh? You must have had some fun with the brief easterly that hit there the other week. Cetainly dumped on my wife's parents in Le Havre.

Edited by scottish skier

Thanks. While the N and NE of kiltland has done well, central and the borders have been somewhat snow starved over the past month, even though temps have been right. We're all hoping that the forecast for later in the week comes off.

Kent eh? You must have had some fun with the brief easterly that hit there the other week. Cetainly dumped on my wife's parents in Le Havre.

Yes, you will certainly be in business if the predictions come right!

Indeed got the very most out of that easterly the other week with over 10cms of powdery drifting snow (well mini drifting, not exactly Highland proportions!)laugh.gif

I didn't notice until now that the Met-O have updated the warning for Wednesday:

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/uk/uk_forecast_warnings.html

There is a moderate risk of severe weather affecting parts of England, Wales, Southern Scotland and Northern Ireland. Outbreaks of snow may give further falls of 2 to 5 cm, with in excess of 10cm possible in places, especially on high ground. Strong northeasterly winds may cause some drifting.

Issued at: 1140 Sun 21 Feb

Although it is only for the south of Scotland, and not Fife, just Falkirk and Clackmannanananananashire up that way.

Posted

The snow depth graphic is for "Recorded snow depths at 0900 GMT on Thursday 7 January 2010" so it is just a snapshot. However, I do think it reflects the lack of snow in some parts of Scotland over the whole Dec-Jan period since much of the snow was accumulated over a long period of time.

(did that make sense?? ;))

No!! :) (But it will do! :) ) Yes, I see what you mean. Although, it can't be that much off the mark because I don't think we had much more after the 7th. Did we? :) Hopefully we will make up some ground next week!

I didn't notice until now that the Met-O have updated the warning for Wednesday:

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/uk/uk_forecast_warnings.html

Although it is only for the south of Scotland, and not Fife, just Falkirk and Clackmannanananananashire up that way.

Cue Mondy soon I should think!

Hello again Tamara. Yes, it does potentially look very good next week for here. Did you catch anything from this

morning's event?

No!! :) (But it will do! :) ) Yes, I see what you mean. Although, it can't be that much off the mark because I don't think we had much more after the 7th.

I think you're right. And the stuff that was there on the 7th had built up since the middle of December. See, we get there in the end ;)

Hello again Tamara. Yes, it does potentially look very good next week for here. Did you catch anything from this

morning's event?

Plenty of rain!laugh.gif

Despite my updated signature I'm not complaining though - it has been a very good winter for down here with snow before xmas, loads of snow during the first half of Jan and some more the other weeksmile.gif

The duration of the cold throughout the whole winter north of the border though has been incredible for Scotland as a whole! With more to come!cold.gifohmy.gif

Edited by North Sea Snow Convection

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy in winter, a good mix of weather the rest of the time

http://www.metoffice...t_warnings.html

Yess!! The curse of the met warning has been lifted! Brilliant!

(did that make sense?? laugh.gif)

I thought West Lothian had more than was shown on the map to be honest. I mean the mate at Livingston was constantly snow covered at the slip road where our friend in Livingston takes regular pictures of the traffic and occasionally posts them on netweatherpardon.gif

The 20cm at Leuchars is impressive, though, due to the promixity to the sea. I think the 9th actually saw the biggest depths here, with 10 inches recorded by myself in the garden at 4pm, while I believe the 7th/8th saw a few more inches in the Lothians.