Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Anyone Fed Up Of The Cold?

Habsish

Posted

hi all

decided to start this thread for all the members who like me are sick to the back teeth of hearing about the cold right enough it has been a good winter that we will talk about for years to come but i do think it is time to stop wishing and hopeing for more snow like some are o9n here:-

your comments please! :rolleyes:

Posted
  • Location: Coleraine,Macosquin,County Londonderry, Northern Ireland
  • Location: Coleraine,Macosquin,County Londonderry, Northern Ireland

no im not fed up but i would like summer now... as this in between bit is usuless

Posted

I'm not fed up with the cold. After so many warm months during the last 20 years, it's good to have a stint of colder ones and they can continue for now as far as I'm concerned!

Posted

Count me as one that would like some warmth-winter, officially has finished, most of us have had a 'good' winter, in terms of cold and for quite a lot of places the snowiest for a while. It would be nice to have sunshine and showers with some warmth as the main topic on the model thread but I'm afraid that is probably asking for too much!

Posted

Count me as one that would like some warmth-winter, officially has finished, most of us have had a 'good' winter, in terms of cold and for quite a lot of places the snowiest for a while. It would be nice to have sunshine and showers with some warmth as the main topic on the model thread but I'm afraid that is probably asking for too much!

what it is john is i cant believe that people are still hankering after snow and cold when winter is finished we are two weeks away from the official start of bst and i for one would like it to warm up a tad i suppose i am a bit biased because iam going on holiday to the norfolk broads on the 30th march so i would like a warm up

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and lots of it or warm and sunny, no mediocre dross

I'm fed up with the cold, I'm fed up with the cloud and I'm absolutely fed up with the garden still being dormant. Bored to tears of seeing Brown wherever I look, whether it be garden or countryside; I want, crave, verdant green. Roll on May.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, thunder, hail & heavy snow

I would admit that I would not mind seeing just one (or possibly two) more snow event(s) just to really finish the remains of Winter 2009-2010 off, but would also like to see some warm days with temperatures near or around 15*C - perhaps warmer than that.

I think with temperatures struggling to reach double figures for a good while, especially in the North, I can see why some people are wanting some much warmer weather to arrive.

Posted

hi all

decided to start this thread for all the members who like me are sick to the back teeth of hearing about the cold right enough it has been a good winter that we will talk about for years to come but i do think it is time to stop wishing and hopeing for more snow like some are o9n here:-

your comments please! :rolleyes:

Merged duplicate threads. :rolleyes:

While I can appreciate you've had enough of cold weather now, theres absolutely nothing wrong with wishing for cold spells well into Spring and people who do shouldnt be made to feel like they are 'wrong' to do so. Its only 12th March for goodness sakes, the weather doesnt just switch like that.

Personally, after last year's complete bore of a spring which was almost completely homogeneously mild with no extremes at all this year is a breath of fresh air. I would welcome cold spells right into May. I remember seeing snowfall on my birthday on the evening of the 11th May 1995 and it was awesome. I also enjoyed it in 2008 however, where temperatures were well into the 20s on the same date.

Posted

I would welcome cold spells right into May. I remember seeing snowfall on my birthday on the evening of the 11th May 1995 and it was awesome. I also enjoyed it in 2008 however, where temperatures were well into the 20s on the same date.

Nooooooo.

Snow, snow go away.

Posted

Some of the comments here are hilarious, as if the people who are wishing for cold and snow are somehow to blame for it! rofl.gif

I love unseasonal or extreme weather of any sort, whether it be warm or cold, wet or windy. I wouldn't mind some warmth now, but in March its still far easier to get extreme cold than extreme heat. SSTs are very low, and there's still plenty of cold air to tap into.

I enjoyed the wall- to-wall sunshine and light winds earlier this week, and even got a slight suntan hiking on the hills! IMO, it doesn't matter if its warm or cold, if the weather is spectacular like that!good.gif

If the weather turns cold again over the next few weeks, there's no point moaning, or criticizing those who are excited by the prospect of it. Ill be very surprised if there isn't some more unseasonably potent cold before Spring is out.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish plumes, hot and sunny with thunderstorms

Last Spring was great, so much dry and warm weather. Plus we had that very warm April.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.
While I can appreciate you've had enough of cold weather now, theres absolutely nothing wrong with wishing for cold spells well into Spring and people who do shouldnt be made to feel like they are 'wrong' to do so. Its only 12th March for goodness sakes, the weather doesnt just switch like that.

I think that's also a good summation of my own issues with the subject. I have nothing at all against posts like John Holmes's contribution above, but it's statements like the following that I take issue with:

i cant believe that people are still hankering after snow and cold when winter is finished

I could easily put in a retort like, "I can't believe that so many people hanker after cold and snow until the 1st March and then flip to such an extreme that they would rather have raw overcast wet weather than sunshine and snow showers", but that would be a little hypocritical!

I think what some need to accept is that it is possible for individuals to "hanker after" cold and snow while, at the same time, also welcoming a number of warm weather types. I for one would be quite happy with a solution like the GFS 12Z today- a spell of warm sunshine, then a cold blast from the north, and then another warm spell. Others might prefer 2009-style homogeneity to 1995-style temperature contrasts, but they need to recognise that the other stance is equally as valid.

Edited by Thundery wintry showers

Posted

Everyone is entitled to their own wish list. What is a little unfair though is when someone who likes mild rather than cold suggests they would like a mild spell in mid winter and is jumped on by the cold brigade. yet when the same view is expressed in meteorological spring they get the same treatment. Why is it okay for those who like cold to make their views known whatever time of year it is be it summer or any other season but those preferring the warmer option seem to upset the cold lovers whenever they make a wish for less cold?

Personally I love cold and snow in WINTER, the very isolated instance of it out of season is fine but from now on I really do prefer to see warm on the charts not cold so I hope I and others with a similar view can be allowed that view without the cold lovers making a case against that view.

Posted

Everyone is entitled to their own wish list. What is a little unfair though is when someone who likes mild rather than cold suggests they would like a mild spell in mid winter and is jumped on by the cold brigade. yet when the same view is expressed in meteorological spring they get the same treatment. Why is it okay for those who like cold to make their views known whatever time of year it is be it summer or any other season but those preferring the warmer option seem to upset the cold lovers whenever they make a wish for less cold?

The problem is some on here are flicking the switch to mild straight away.

I never really understand why some on here are craving warmth in March, it's like craving snow in September, yes it happens but it is fairly un-common. Also I don't think there are any "upset cold lovers", we are been realistic. Especially with the posts that are complaining about cold weather, I can't imagine anyone on here complaining if we have hot weather in September after a "hot" summer even though we would be in meteorological "autumn".

Edited by 10123

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Dry and cold...

It is indeed puzzling to see this kind of regimented change of mood - end of february henceforth blizzards, 6 ft of snow, -20c; early march 20c, sun, dry...

In the UK, of all places...

Posted
  • Location: Hayward’s Heath - home, Brighton/East Grinstead - work.
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and storms
  • Location: Hayward’s Heath - home, Brighton/East Grinstead - work.

I am not fed up with the cold but I do love spring switcharounds whether it be from cold to warmth or vice versa. One cannot beat warm spring sunshine one day followed by bitter cold the next!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

For me it mainly boils down to whether it's expressed merely as a personal desire for warmer weather, or contains swipes at those who hold a different point of view. The same equally applies to a desire for cold weather. In winter we do indeed see people being unfairly shot down for expressing desire for anything with "warm" in the description- and I don't condone this at all. On the other hand, we also occasionally see swipes that are intended to make cold/snow lovers feel guilty- e.g. references to childishness, lack of consideration for mortality, disruption etc.

In spring, the main problem is the view that those of us still interested in cold/snow are clinging onto winter (as if there's some unwritten law that the change of meteorological season mandates a sudden regimented shift of personal preferences) and categorised as "coldies", including those of us who are after variety (including warm spells as well as cold ones) more than anything else. I don't see why this view should be allowed to prevail unchallenged, considering that it is by definition dismissive of other, perfectly legitimate, viewpoints- after all some of us have weather preferences that remain consistent all year round, why should we have to cut out interest in certain types of weather just because the name of the season changed?

Preferring warmer weather to dominate as we head into meteorological spring is a perfectly reasonable viewpoint and people should not be shot down for it, but it should also not be confused with the above.

Edited by Thundery wintry showers

Posted

I have never seen such little or no grass about for this time of year,no daffodils,snowdrops are well out in full bloom,thats how cold it`s been this year.

It`s also very dry now so growth very limited.

Posted

I have never seen such little or no grass about for this time of year,no daffodils,snowdrops are well out in full bloom,thats how cold it`s been this year.

It`s also very dry now so growth very limited.

Indeed, and for those of us who are self-employed gardeners Spring proper can't come soon enough. No work = no money, this winter's dragging on a bit too long.

Posted

I'm a defo cold and snow person.......in the depths of winter!

Now, bring on the warm. Banish cold and snow until late October at the earliest.dirol.gif

Guest North Sea Snow Convection

I spent an afternoon on my allotment space today and am thankful in yet another way for the cold winter. The ground area was covered over and pegged with a black canvas sheet last autumn after treating it with a weed suppresent/killer and today when it was uncovered the soil was beautifully crumbly and weed free. The frost (and treatment) had done its work and transformed the soil from the coagulated clayish heap last year to something that was so easy to fork over.

A delay in the growing season is a god send in that there is now time to further prepare the area for the long season ahead and sowing etc.

Quite apart form all that, the recent cold, crisp and chilly weather and easterly winds are a big pity to say goodbye to in view of the loathsome mild south westerly rubbish that is due to return this coming week.

Winter can have as many Spring returns as it wants over the next month or so till the days draw out too much for cold weather!

So basically the answer to the thread question is NO!

Edited by North Sea Snow Convection

Posted

I spent an afternoon on my allotment space today and am thankful in yet another way for the cold winter. The ground area was covered over and pegged with a black canvas sheet last autumn after treating it with a weed suppresent/killer and today when it was uncovered the soil was beautifully crumbly and weed free. The frost (and treatment) had done its work and transformed the soil from the coagulated clayish heap last year to something that was so easy to fork over.

A delay in the growing season is a god send in that there is now time to further prepare the area for the long season ahead and sowing etc.

Quite apart form all that, the recent cold, crisp and chilly weather and easterly winds are a big pity to say goodbye to in view of the loathsome mild south westerly rubbish that is due to return this coming week.

Winter can have as many Spring returns as it wants over the next month or so till the days draw out too much for cold weather!

So basically the answer to the thread question is NO!

And there's the difference between a patch for personal pleasure and vast acres for a living.

Bring on those mild South Westerlies; the finest tilth in the world is barren without warm soil to spark growth. Pity the poor farmer who will have to continue to feed livestock - it's been a long, expensive winter.

Guest North Sea Snow Convection

There are better and much more appealing types of weather in terms of getting a warm soil into Spring as far as I am concerned. That was a main point.

And I am obviously completely well aware of the difference betweeen doing this sort of thing for fun (and having one's own fresh veg and herbs etc) and the toils of being a farmer.