Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Anyone Fed Up Of The Cold?

Habsish

Posted

With this continued cold, if rather boring, weather I for one would like to see something more spring like.

How does everyone else feel?

H

Posted

If you look at the model discussion thread there is likely to be average temps by next week with some sunshine, perhaps above average temps, more especially so in the south. There is already "springlike" weather, max today in Leeds of 9.c with sunny spells which is average for the time of year.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snowy or sunny but not too hot!

If you look at the model discussion thread there is likely to be average temps by next week with some sunshine, perhaps above average temps, more especially so in the south. There is already "springlike" weather, max today in Leeds of 9.c with sunny spells which is average for the time of year.

You are certainly lucky in Leeds. In Essex today it has been mostly cloudy with a cold northeasterly wind and according to my car thermometer only 4C although it felt a lot colder than that.

It would be nice to now get into spring mode!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

There is a bit of a NW-SE split in the weather at the moment- it doesn't surprise me that the two negative posts are coming from Essex. Here in Norwich it has certainly been raw, cold and overcast over the last three days, but much of Scotland and northern England has experienced two or three days of sunshine and near-average temperatures by day and sharp night frosts.

Some more "springlike" weather is certainly looking probable for next week over most of England and Wales, with relatively high maxima (possibly as high as 12-15C, certainly touching double figures) and plenty of sunshine, but in contrast Scotland is likely to turn somewhat cloudier than we've been used to recently.

However, while it's certainly realistic (and, for many, pleasant) to see/expect some warm sunshine in the near future, if we do get it, don't assume that it'll stay that way for the rest of the spring, because chances are it won't. Last year's spring was exceptional for its lack of variety.

Edited by Thundery wintry showers

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme

With this continued cold, if rather boring, weather I for one would like to see something more spring like.

How does everyone else feel?

H

I agree the weather is rather boring but, contrary to yourself, I would like to see something much more wintry.

A vicious north easterly with heavy snow would do for starters.

Arrived in South of France and thought I had escaped the ravages of the British winter but had another think coming - it all started last Sunday evening when it started snowing fairly heavily and not settling for a long while but the following morning there was about 8 cms of slushy stuff which partly melted at Capestang.

On Tuesday drove to Narbonne but got diverted because the road just south of Cuxac was blocked and we ending up travelling through the Corbiere district to the SW of us. Here there was quite a lot more snow -it had been drifting and the snow was still being blown about in a fairly strong tramontaine. Otherwise a day of brilliant sunshine, although bitterly cold with the wind chill. I am kicking myself for not taking my camera.

Still cold today but according to the forecasts we should be back to double figures by the weekend.

Another point is that the French down here do not salt the roads as we do - as a result of that, together with the dryness of the air and the fairly strong sunshine the roads dry out pretty quickly, so we were left with mostly dry roads. A sight I was not used to.

Nevertheless an interesting and rare event this late in the season - I would be interested to hear more detail as to how this event actually came about - meanwhile I am champing for temps of about 20C now.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

well i'm kinda bit of both, really want Spring to arrive, infact hoping that the gfs FI charts for next week come off, felt so chilly all month with no prospect of snow, so lets have spring

but do also want April 6th 08 type snow, but at the moment the warm weather looks more likely on the models, so want that to arrive,

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Ample sunshine; Hot weather; Mixed winters with cold and mild spells

I just get sick of low cloud that plagues us during early spring. Any time there's an easterly flow it is more often than not cloudy - with maybe a bit of drizzle in there.

Some warmth and sun would indeed be nice about now. That or a bright & fresh northerly perhaps veering NWly to bring in wintry showers (although I usually prefer that after the first taste of warmth in April).

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and snow but not together

Have to say without looking and seeing this topic or thread, i checked the forecast for Newbury over the next few days the weekend and the week after. of course things could change as models are updated, however i did I have to admit get that feeling of when will this cold end. It would be nice, just for a brief time to be able to come home from work or play and not be freezin cold to the bone from the damp or the cold...........cold.gif...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish plumes, hot and sunny with thunderstorms

Well youre in luck. The weekend looks to herald the start of spring for most parts and should finally give the spring bulbs the injection of warmth that they expect at this time of year. I'm getting tired of seeing the countryside so featureless, everything looks so dead at the moment. A few weeks of mild weather, plus a bit of rain and everything should look a lot different.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: cold and snowy. Summer: hot and sunny

Me too. Winter is well and truly over. Up till mid-April its always possible that a wintry outbreak may occur, but by that stage im not keen for any cold and snow. It will just be slush.

Its been a great winter, but im really looking forward to summer and some potentially hot weather. And when it comes to heatwaves im lucky enough to be in the ideal location, makes a change from the winter months when its northern areas that get all the fun and games (except this winter).

Edited by danm

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Mediterranean climates (Valencia is perfect)

Models are favouring us mildies at the moment. Finally some average temps from the weekend onwards, and probably some sunshine as well.

Posted

I agree the weather is rather boring but, contrary to yourself, I would like to see something much more wintry.

A vicious north easterly with heavy snow would do for starters.

I would like long sunny days now with a temperature around 12c with very little wind,if thats not possible then T.M's vicious North easter with heavy snow would still suit.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

Me too. Winter is well and truly over. Up till mid-April its always possible that a wintry outbreak may occur, but by that stage im not keen for any cold and snow. It will just be slush.

People are entitled to want what they want but I get tired of seeing comments like those. Snow is less likely to stick around for long, but quite often it takes the form of a soft fluffy covering that disappears quickly in the sun during late morning/lunchtime. And on rare occasions it can stick around for a while (mid-March 1979, Tyneside, 46cm). Some also enjoy those spring N/NW incursions with towering Cb cells and hail/snow shafts.

Sunny days with temps around 12C and little in the way of wind? You might well be in luck next week! If we do get the sunshine and high pressure accompanying the warmer air it will indeed be a shock to the system for many after the persistently cold weather.

Posted

The issue is some want it to look like spring outside but I can't see it happening with temps as low as -5.c at night.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Blizzards,Hot Thundery nights.

Well if it does reach double figures next week, it will feel tropical. Just amazing that the last time any widespread mild was present over the UK it was early Dec. Never thought id say this but im also sick of freezing everytime i go in the garden. The kids really need to get outside and have some fun too but have been plauged since christmas with coughs and colds.Have really enjoyed the snow even though we didnt get much !,but really this winter needs to be put out of its misery with a good old blast from the atlantic,yes it may rain but at least the weather will be more mobile and a bit more exciting.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Mediterranean climates (Valencia is perfect)

I also can't wait for the sun to start getting stronger.. one thing I hate about winter is that I go very pale! The first UV Index's of 2 should start appearing soon

Posted

I also can't wait for the sun to start getting stronger.. one thing I hate about winter is that I go very pale! The first UV Index's of 2 should start appearing soon

You should have been up a Scottish Mountain the past few days, quite a few 'lobsters' seen on the slopes, clear skies, unbroken sunshine, excellent air clarity and full snow cover makes the effect of the sun feel much stronger and warmer, people were skiing in t-shirts at Glenshee on Monday! :D

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield

Day time temps near normal what are you fussing about. Turn your heating down and save some energy and money. My only bug bear is the cloud which has come back.

Would be nice to see a strong north eastery like yester springs. Large falls of snow melting rapidly in the sun that follows.

Posted

Yes I would welcome prolonged spells of sunshine with temps of 15C. However I also realise that for the next few weeks heavy snowfalls and temps around freezing also remain possible.

Posted

Well if it does reach double figures next week, it will feel tropical. Just amazing that the last time any widespread mild was present over the UK it was early Dec. Never thought id say this but im also sick of freezing everytime i go in the garden. The kids really need to get outside and have some fun too but have been plauged since christmas with coughs and colds.Have really enjoyed the snow even though we didnt get much !,but really this winter needs to be put out of its misery with a good old blast from the atlantic,yes it may rain but at least the weather will be more mobile and a bit more exciting.

Depends on what we define as Atlantic-driven excitement! I can remember Atlantic-driven spells featuring continuous tropical maritime airmasses and overcast windy weather with drizzle, most especially but not exclusively for western districts, while in East Anglia some of those "Atlantic" spells with HP close by to the SE can get quite tedious with a benign mix of cloud, the odd bit of sun and the odd bit of rain.

But I'll always be up for a good blast of polar maritime stuff, even in the middle of winter, and of course now that we're in spring a polar maritime airstream can generate homegrown convection as well as over the Atlantic.

Posted

Can I have some warmth please?

I am bored of the cold to,nonono.gif Bring on the sun and beer drinks.gif

Posted

This time of year is very similiar to early-mid Sept, often people become very expectant of a sudden change to seasonal conditions and have long tired of the season just gone, by mid sept people start to long for the first frost of the season and gales of the autumn, by mid March everyone wants that first proper mild sunny spell of the season. I do find this time of year like mid sept quite frustrating in this respect, it being a bit of a non-entity period when spring seems to take a while to get into gear and the weather is not often particularly interesting. Highs positioned to our weather are one of the most boring types of weather synoptics, yes nice benign weather but exceptionally uninteresting. I'm beginning to long for some heavy rain, it has been about 3 months since we have had a proper heavy bout, remarkable for what is one of the country's rain hotspots.