Anyone Fed Up Of The Cold?

Habsish

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield

Pity it isn't cold at the moment.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

I'd got very tired of those recurring "snow causes work-related trouble, stop thinking of your own pleasure and pity those who are suffering" arguments by January- the effect is to tell those who aren't averse to snow to feel guilty for taking that stance over something they can't even control. I don't see how the same objection ceases to apply once we're into spring.

Tolerance has to work both ways. By all means, those who want warmer weather should be allowed to express their desire for warmth without being shot down, but it shouldn't then be acceptable to shoot down anyone who isn't averse to snow just because we're into meteorological spring, or because we've had a particularly cold winter this year.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and lots of it or warm and sunny, no mediocre dross

Agreed. However, I can't see how expressing a desire for warmth or cold is trying to make someone feel guilty for wanting the opposite. Isn't it just expressing a desire? In the end, getting any form of weather to our suiting is all luck, sometimes it's on our side, sometimes it isn't.

It has been a long, cold winter, it is and will have knock on effects, whether that be heating costs, delayed growing season or a lack of home-grown Daffs in the shops - these are observations, not criticisms of folk who long for more snow.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

And there's the difference between a patch for personal pleasure and vast acres for a living.

Bring on those mild South Westerlies; the finest tilth in the world is barren without warm soil to spark growth. Pity the poor farmer who will have to continue to feed livestock - it's been a long, expensive winter.

It's easy to be misinterpreted on the 'net of course, but that post reads a lot like the recurring posts we had during the winter quarter along the lines "for those of you who get excited over snow, stop being so selfish/childish in your desires for personal pleasure, spare a thought for the people who are suffering because of it". We get similar posts in summer when some members get excited over convective storms while certain areas are suffering flooding, and they get a ticking off for wishing more rain upon flooded areas.

It's tricky, because it is possible to merely refer to observations regarding impacts of the weather, yet come across that way.

Posted

It's easy to be misinterpreted on the 'net of course, but that post reads a lot like the recurring posts we had during the winter quarter along the lines "for those of you who get excited over snow, stop being so selfish/childish in your desires for personal pleasure, spare a thought for the people who are suffering because of it". We get similar posts in summer when some members get excited over convective storms while certain areas are suffering flooding, and they get a ticking off for wishing more rain upon flooded areas.

It's tricky, because it is possible to merely refer to observations regarding impacts of the weather, yet come across that way.

I'm not known for my tact TWS, if I'd intended what you have interpreted from that post, I'd have said just that.

Posted

I'm not known for my tact TWS, if I'd intended what you have interpreted from that post, I'd have said just that.

Jethro

off topic but your pm facilty appears not to work or be full?

• 2 weeks later...

I was fed up a few weeks ago of the cold but its amazing what a few boring milder weeks do to you, they make you crave the cold even more luckily some is on the plate for next week, just a shame after late April cold is rare, well proper cold until late October at the earliest in the midlands, not looking forward to the summer i think it`ll be a stinker.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish plumes, hot and sunny with thunderstorms

Well in a way i'm getting a little frustrated by the weather at the moment but only because it isnt warm enough. The past few weeks have really wetted my appetite for something a lot warmer and more summery. Early spring in my eyes can be a very frustrating time of year. One day you can be basking in pleasant warmth and the next you can be plunged back into winter. The past few weeks may have been boring for some from a weather point of view but after 4 months of just watching the weather during winter its great to be able to get out and use it without it being too cold/dark/wet.

Posted

Well in a way i'm getting a little frustrated by the weather at the moment but only because it isnt warm enough. The past few weeks have really wetted my appetite for something a lot warmer and more summery. Early spring in my eyes can be a very frustrating time of year. One day you can be basking in pleasant warmth and the next you can be plunged back into winter. The past few weeks may have been boring for some from a weather point of view but after 4 months of just watching the weather during winter its great to be able to get out and use it without it being too cold/dark/wet.

To be fair I dont know what you are expecting at this time of year. A week ago I achieved 17.7C and I did on Wednesday also too. It felt very pleasant in the sun and early Spring is always a mixed bag of weather, its very rare to see a 20C day even in late March, and for many places that is the record temperature for March. Admittidly today wasnt as good with highs of 13.2C and a moderate/strong breeze, but that is above average for March still.

Posted

Spring seemed to end on the Equinox, looks horrid next week, i love the snow but not at this time of year, id much rather be looking forward to a holidays of mild temperatures and sunshine.

Posted

To be fair I dont know what you are expecting at this time of year. A week ago I achieved 17.7C and I did on Wednesday also too. It felt very pleasant in the sun and early Spring is always a mixed bag of weather, its very rare to see a 20C day even in late March, and for many places that is the record temperature for March. Admittidly today wasnt as good with highs of 13.2C and a moderate/strong breeze, but that is above average for March still.

Its not about expecting too much too soon, its more about getting that little taster of summer and wishing that it was May/June instead of still early on in the season.

Posted

Had we not seen the milder weather of the past couple of weeks and just had a continuous cold period then yes I would be saying I am fed up with the cold. However, I'm certainly not going to complain of cold weather at this early stage in the spring season, by May yes, but late March no.

If the cold is accompanied by sunny dry weather all the better. The recent milder weather has been accompanied by rain and cloud, I'd quickly trade in milder weather if it is wet and cloudy with colder sunny dry weather. In fact mild wet windy weather whatever the time of year is not really welcomed in my book.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Dry and cold...

Anything to get rid of the wet, mild muck currently plaguing my neck of the woods...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Mediterranean climates (Valencia is perfect)

^^ It's worth noting that any cold at this time of year is usually cloudy and grey like Atlantic driven weather. This is why I would prefer SWerlies over any type of cold, because at least it stays warm, and there are often sunnier spells in between.

Posted

Atlantic driven weather tends not to be cold at this time of year, the emphasis tends to be on near average to cool days offset by warm nights. Cold weather comes in two primary forms at this time of year: the bright, showery northerly/north-westerly type, and the easterly/north-easterly type which brings a lot of grey drizzly weather to the SE and sunshine to the NW.

Taking the country as a whole there is little in the way of correlation between temperatures and sunshine/rainfall until the summer months, although this does mask a NW-SE split, as warm weather tends to be correlated with dull damp weather in the north and west and sunny dry weather in the south and east, and vice versa for the easterly/north-easterly type. However, the northerly/north-westerly type is quite often associated with above average sunshine nationwide, a good example being the first third of April 2006. The inverse of this is the anticyclonic/southerly types which are quite often both warm and sunny nationwide.

The "warm = dry/sunny, cold = dull/wet" rule for spring weather is founded on confirmation bias rather than truth. It only begins to hold as a decent generalisation once we reach summer, and particularly high summer (July & August).

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Ample sunshine; Hot weather; Mixed winters with cold and mild spells

I don't think temperature decides on sunshine vs cloud/wet ratio. I use wind direction to decide.

Northerly = very dry & sunny. Cold

Southerly = generally dry, humid, sunny. Warm/very warm.

Westerly = wet and cloudy but some sunny periods. Mild but not warm.

Easterly = mostly dry/light drizzle and almost always cloudy with little sun. Cool to cold.

Mixing northerly+westerly gets some rain, cool to cold, some sun; mixing southerly and westerly gets rain, mild and some sun etc etc..

Overall southerly or northerly are best (for me in spring) with easterly being the worst of all worlds.

Posted

I don't think temperature decides on sunshine vs cloud/wet ratio. I use wind direction to decide.

Northerly = very dry & sunny. Cold

Southerly = generally dry, humid, sunny. Warm/very warm.

Westerly = wet and cloudy but some sunny periods. Mild but not warm.

Easterly = mostly dry/light drizzle and almost always cloudy with little sun. Cool to cold.

Mixing northerly+westerly gets some rain, cool to cold, some sun; mixing southerly and westerly gets rain, mild and some sun etc etc..

Overall southerly or northerly are best (for me in spring) with easterly being the worst of all worlds.

Even the effect of wind direction is far from set in stone - I guess it depends on what's going on in the rest of Europe, whether the overall pattern is anticyclonic, etc. I remember April 2007, with its light easterly winds, sunny days and daytime temperatures frequently in the low 20s here in the south...

Edited by Stargazer

Anybody up for starting a fed up of the mild thread because i know full well i am, its so warm tonight i can't sleep and thats with the windows wide open, cant beleive i'm not the only one gobsmacked by this turnaround, who the hell programs these models they are blo*dy hopeless they were showing the rain turning to snow for today on saturday in the midlands and south, to say im angry is an understatement.wallbash.gif

Posted

Anybody up for starting a fed up of the mild thread because i know full well i am, its so warm tonight i can't sleep and thats with the windows wide open, cant beleive i'm not the only one gobsmacked by this turnaround, who the hell programs these models they are blo*dy hopeless they were showing the rain turning to snow for today on saturday in the midlands and south, to say im angry is an understatement.wallbash.gif

If 9c is your definition of warm maybe you should vacate to Lapland :)

Posted

I'm surprised at how chillly it is here today, just above 5c with the heavier downpours turning sleety - not particularly Spring-like.:blink:

Posted

Another run of absolute drivel :( nothing worse than wintry weather in April.

Posted

I was fed up of the cold last December, it's been a stinker of a winter (not least in Buxton Derbyshire) and this particular day is the "icing on the cake". Regarding people who can't sleep when it's 9c outside at night, get a grip, please, plenty of climates have night time temperatures above 20c for much of the year, and you are complaining about cold (sub 12c) temperatures at night being too hot! What do you do in the summer? Move to Greenland for five months?

Forecast for April in my location looks like utter death. That's not spring I can tell you. Our daffodils started coming out and have now died again.

Posted

It really did feel raw today and very unpleasant waiting for the bus or indeed being outside at all. It was more like mid winter than the last day of March.