Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Anyone Fed Up Of The Cold?

Habsish

Fed up of cold, HELL NO, after that muggy warm night the past few days have been heaven, cars all frosted up this morning, lovely jubbley :lol:

Regarding people who can't sleep when it's 9c outside at night, get a grip, please, plenty of climates have night time temperatures above 20c for much of the year

Umm i think you`ll find 10C(which i recorded) is very mild for March only a degree or so off the record for night mins in March and after a cold winter it did feel very warm indeed and very unpleasant with no wind, yuck, thank god we dont live in the hot climate you so want with nights of 20C, why dont you move somewhere where you get that all the time.

In summer its very different your body is more used to it by then not in March.

Guest North Sea Snow Convection

It hasn't even been cold in the south - just wet, windy and therefore pretty awful.

Although as much as I adore snow, I would certainly not want to see the conditions that parts of Scotland and Northern Ireland have endured by any means. That type of slush is no good whatsoever for anyone.

A chilly calm Spring anticyclone would be very welcome - something very like the first week or so of Marchgood.gif .

Actually, atm, any anticyclone would be better than this dreadful cyclonic south westerly pattern

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

Some in Scotland and N Ireland, chiefly higher ground, have quite enjoyed this bout of wintry weather judging by some of the posts, though personally I'm not the greatest fan of those marginal frontal events with raw winds and a good deal of slush. The cold types that I welcome tend to be either anticyclonic (like early March 2010) or bright with wintry showers (like Easter 2008).

However while the severity of the blizzards in parts of Scotland has been unusual, cool windy weather at this time of year is far from unusual, and as for the comments that "this isn't Spring"- well, by UK standards, it is.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and lots of it or warm and sunny, no mediocre dross

It's a bloomin cold Spring though, don't know how it compares stats wise but there's a real bite to the wind and we had a sharp frost this morning down here in the mild South West.

Posted

Yesterday was horrible, cold wind and rain on and off all day. There is nothing good about that sort of a day. The cold isn't too bad if it's sunny though, today isn't feeling that warm unless you are in the sun but its a much better day. It would be nice to feel the warmth of the sun now it is April.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Mediterranean climates (Valencia is perfect)

Very unspringlike at the moment.. day after day of cloudy weather, strong winds, and chilly.

An average Spring would at least feature warm weather mixed in with the cold weather. So far it has either been cold or slightly above average for a few days earlier this month.

Surely you can't be serious regarding the 10C at night comment? these are not rare in early Spring and late Autumn under cloud cover, and is not really warm at all.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

I have to pull you up on that one- the second half of March was 1.8C above the 1971-2000 average according to Philip Eden at Climate-uk, and the 1971-2000 average for March is over 0.5C higher than any decadal average prior to the 1990s. On a few days Norwich was getting up to 17 or 18C, when the long-term average was around 10C.

Many people are looking for warm dry sunny weather, and the recent warm weather wasn't dry or sunny for most of the country, so maybe that's why it hasn't registered with many, but the second half of March was warm by any standards.

Posted

My main gripe with this month is that the days often start misleadingly sunny then between 10-11am it clouds over, rains or sleets, then between 7-8pm the cloud starts dissapearing again, we didn't get much sunshine at the start of the month when most other places did either.

Posted

As yet even though the past couple of weeks have been fairly mild, unfortunately they have also been wet and cloudy so we have hot benefited from the warmth of the sun. I think many just want a nice sunny dry settled spell, looks like we may see such a one next week, hopefully with not too much wind..

Posted

It felt cold during the 2nd half of march and first half of april 2008.

Last 2 days have been colder than any of those,yesterday was a cold winters day on a par with february 2005.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Any extreme weather conditions

I have no statistics to hand but going by my own statistics, I am ready for some warmth and sun, its been a long cold winter.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Mediterranean climates (Valencia is perfect)

I have to pull you up on that one- the second half of March was 1.8C above the 1971-2000 average according to Philip Eden at Climate-uk, and the 1971-2000 average for March is over 0.5C higher than any decadal average prior to the 1990s. On a few days Norwich was getting up to 17 or 18C, when the long-term average was around 10C.

Many people are looking for warm dry sunny weather, and the recent warm weather wasn't dry or sunny for most of the country, so maybe that's why it hasn't registered with many, but the second half of March was warm by any standards.

That was my main problem with March, the fact that the milder spell happened to be cloudy and dull. I still think that it is unusual to have the atlantic roaring in Spring, and there hasn't been one sunny day for nearly 2 weeks now..

I don't really like to use CET temperatures, they may be good for some areas, but 2C above average for the CET zone can sometimes be average or below average for this area. Temperature wise it may have been not far off average because of the mild spell, but it will certainly go down as one of the dullest Marches in recent times for me.

Posted

That was my main problem with March, the fact that the milder spell happened to be cloudy and dull. I still think that it is unusual to have the atlantic roaring in Spring, and there hasn't been one sunny day for nearly 2 weeks now..

I don't really like to use CET temperatures, they may be good for some areas, but 2C above average for the CET zone can sometimes be average or below average for this area. Temperature wise it may have been not far off average because of the mild spell, but it will certainly go down as one of the dullest Marches in recent times for me.

I'm not sure if it's quite into the "unusual" category, but we certainly don't often get prolonged spells of Atlantic weather in spring that last a few weeks or more, as spring patterns tend to be quite blocked. What I think was unusual was the strength of the association between warmth and dull wet weather. I would normally expect a notably warm pattern in spring to feature at least one or two 2-3 day spells that were predominantly sunny over the southeast (albeit not necessarily so in the north and west)- even the generally dull second half of March 2005 achieved this. I think the high frequency of active frontal systems was what prevented this from happening.

Philip Eden has the last third of March at 200% of normal rainfall and 36% of normal sunshine over England and Wales- both very notable statistics! But it all goes to show that sometimes temperature alone can be over-rated as a determining factor- it doesn't necessarily feel particularly warm if it's cloudy wet and windy to go with it.

Posted

An 'Anyone Fed Up Of The CLOUD?' thread surely needs to be made, the past 3 weeks have been one of the greyest spells of weather for years here.