Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Only Another Five Weeks.......

Posted

Five weeks too many,for me. Maybe I'm just weird or it's part of my condition,but I hate (and don't use the word loosely) summer,sunshine and warmth. Although there's lot's of all that to come no doubt in the next three months,I'm marking the minutes to that psychological milestone when it's "all downhill" thereafter. All I wanna do is crawl into a cave until Autumn comes,and I'm probably suffering from something approaching true depression and akin to a reverse form of SAD. It's the main reason why I can't even be bothered to argue with the AGW mob elsewhere on here but I'll be back,in time.

Posted
  • Location: Bedworth , 5 Miles North Of Coventry , 3 Miles South Of Nuneaton
  • Location: Bedworth , 5 Miles North Of Coventry , 3 Miles South Of Nuneaton

Five weeks too many,for me. Maybe I'm just weird or it's part of my condition,but I hate (and don't use the word loosely) summer,sunshine and warmth. Although there's lot's of all that to come no doubt in the next three months,I'm marking the minutes to that psychological milestone when it's "all downhill" thereafter. All I wanna do is crawl into a cave until Autumn comes,and I'm probably suffering from something approaching true depression and akin to a reverse form of SAD. It's the main reason why I can't even be bothered to argue with the AGW mob elsewhere on here but I'll be back,in time.

I too hate these long days and Have June 21st marked on the calender so I can celebrate the fact that the days start to get shorter again and get these these summer months which I hate with a vengeance out of the way

Posted

So, for you, living inside the Arctic Circle for most of the year (e.g. Lapland) could be a real benefit for your health, right?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot & Sunny, Cold & Snowy

So, for you, living inside the Arctic Circle for most of the year (e.g. Lapland) could be a real benefit for your health, right?

Not for long though.....LOL

Posted

It'd probably kill me in short order,but for a while my mental state would improve. I make no apologies or excuses for the way I feel,it's just how it is. My heart sinks and I feel despondent and almost desperate at the mere thought of sun and warmth,but feel happy and hopeful when rain and storms are around. Maybe there's some treatment out there to make these grim months tolerable. Going to bed now and will stay there until it gets dark,which these days means halfway thru' the damn night.

It'd probably kill me in short order,but for a while my mental state would improve. I make no apologies or excuses for the way I feel,it's just how it is. My heart sinks and I feel despondent and almost desperate at the mere thought of sun and warmth,but feel happy and hopeful when rain and storms are around. Maybe there's some treatment out there to make these grim months tolerable. Going to bed now and will stay there until it gets dark,which these days means halfway thru' the damn night.

Don't get treatment, move to the west of Scotland (in autumn and winter) and enjoy. Don't come at the moment when it is still light at 10pm!!

I know what you mean about the wind and rain :pardon: although a little sunshine now and again is nice.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: warm, humid, thundery. Winter: mild, stormy, some snow.

Feeling despondant about sun is highly unnatural for a human.. I'd look up on that, you could have some tricky problem later in life.

Posted

I love both the long summer days and the long winter nights: I find the 50/50 balance of the equinoxes to be boring, though when the clocks change I start looking forward to the nights drawing in or out. It's one of the interesting aspects of living so far from the equator (I just wish our climate showed the same variation).

Having said that, trying to sleep in the early hours during summer can be a real pain!

Feeling despondant about sun is highly unnatural for a human.. I'd look up on that, you could have some tricky problem later in life.

For a lot of people there are real concerns about the sun if you have really pale skin for example. I know plenty of red heads who hate the sun at this time of year as it is really dangerous for them. Someone could also hate the sun at this time of year for other reasons such as being overweight. I can sympathise with this as when I'm at my heaviest I wouldn't want warm weather as I would feel self-concious about wearing shorts, t-shirts or sunbathing. This isn't so much of a problem at my age but if I'd been chubby when I was 20 the summer months could have been hard going, perhaps with a tendency to develop a blanket hate of the whole season.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

SAD "in reverse", where depression sets in during late spring and summer, is certainly officially known and recognised. See the Wikipedia article for example:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seasonal_affective_disorder

I think it's probably unusual in relatively cloudy climates like Britain's, but it does exist.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Ample sunshine; Hot weather; Mixed winters with cold and mild spells

Well in contrast I'm now in my absolute favourite time of year - May to July, the peak of daylight.

The complete freedom to do things during the working week, the feeling that 7pm isn't late, the freedom to not feel unsafe cycling home from work - even if I go for a few pints first.

The very idea of not liking this wonderful time of year seems crazy to me - we're programmed as a species to relish sunlight & warmth as it equals more plentiful food and easier living.

Now speak to me in November when the clocks move then you'll hear misery! That trapping, lonely feeling of it being dark mid afternoon- vile!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: warm, humid, thundery. Winter: mild, stormy, some snow.

Yes I love the onset of light, and everyone I know does, it's like an atmosphere (in reality it's vitamin D), and when it darkens it does feel a little bit depressing. There is however a period between September and October were the atmosphere is at it's best.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish plumes, hot and sunny with thunderstorms

I absolutely detest the long dark nights of winter although i do find myself getting used to them eventually. However, throughout the Autumn theres nothing more i look forward to than that day in December when the sun starts setting later in the afternoon. At the moment i cant invisage how i could pass away the 7 hours in mid-winter after sunset without being able to go outside. The opportunites for spending time after work are so much greater with these light evenings. In Winter you have no option but to stay indoors. So thats why in Winter i'm glad i work in the evenings so i can make use of the few daylight hours there are and go to work when it gets dark.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c

surely moving to the artic would be last you would want to go...remember its 24 hours daylight..best bet is to migrate to new zealand in the summer and come back here for winter

Posted

surely moving to the artic would be last you would want to go...remember its 24 hours daylight..best bet is to migrate to new zealand in the summer and come back here for winter

For me it would be the other way round. Long days and warmth all year round. Perfectyahoo.gif

Posted

Well in contrast I'm now in my absolute favourite time of year - May to July, the peak of daylight.

The complete freedom to do things during the working week, the feeling that 7pm isn't late, the freedom to not feel unsafe cycling home from work - even if I go for a few pints first.

The very idea of not liking this wonderful time of year seems crazy to me - we're programmed as a species to relish sunlight & warmth as it equals more plentiful food and easier living.

Now speak to me in November when the clocks move then you'll hear misery! That trapping, lonely feeling of it being dark mid afternoon- vile!

I'm with you on this score, this is the start of my favourite time of year which lasts through to early July and then slowly begins to wane as the inevitable deluges and decreasing daylight set in but usually the heat goes up!.

This is a wonderful time of year especially the next few weeks, with the light nights and we usually don't see too much heat and humidity so doing outdoor things is still bearable. I tend to find the period late august through to mid october the most tiresome, watching the decreasing light, though often very pleasant conditions can prevail it is the most uninteresting time of year weatherwise with few extremes.

I like November and the promise of wintry weather..

Posted

Its really lovely out there at the moment and much more reminicant of late Spring than the past 2 weeks. Its only 12c but theres just a bit more warmth out there making it more enjoyable to be outside. Just what the light evenings should be all about.

Posted

For me it would be the other way round. Long days and warmth all year round. Perfectyahoo.gif

I wouldnt place too much faith in summer warmth in the Arctic circle.. still its probably as warm as here in the southern part of the zone.

I hope it is more like two pints than a few being four or five pints :rolleyes: You can't get done for drunk cycling like you can with drunk driving but if the police charged you with being drunk in charge of a bike you could get a month in jail.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Ample sunshine; Hot weather; Mixed winters with cold and mild spells

I hope it is more like two pints than a few being four or five pints :rolleyes: You can't get done for drunk cycling like you can with drunk driving but if the police charged you with being drunk in charge of a bike you could get a month in jail.

After work its usually 2-3 pints of weak (<4%) ale so I'm ok for cycling on the whole! Still - daylight just makes it feel much safer and I'm less likely to have my bike stolen like I did before - grrrr.

After work its usually 2-3 pints of weak (<4%) ale so I'm ok for cycling on the whole! Still - daylight just makes it feel much safer and I'm less likely to have my bike stolen like I did before - grrrr.

I'm not fussed personally, you know what the police can be like these days!! :rolleyes:

Posted

.......until the nights start drawing in again.

(thought I'd start your weekend on that cheery thought !!!)

Funnily enough, I was saying the very same thing to my daughters the other day.

It's so nice to have something to look forward to! :rolleyes:

Also, here's an interesting little snippet from the Wail about a bunch of amateurs....

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1278257/We-spend-SIX-MONTHS-lives-just-talking-weather.html

Six months? SIX MONTHS? Is that all? They are obviously not Net-weatherers! :doh::doh:

Edited by noggin

Posted

Feeling despondant about sun is highly unnatural for a human..

Seriously, I would profoundly disagree with you on that. Some people thrive in the heat and brightness, but I am exactly the same as Laserguy....I loathe the Summer and I wish I could hibernate from June to the end of September, but I have a family to feed and a mortgage to pay so I can't. I often think that I should have been born a bat or a mole or some other "darkness loving" creature.

As soon as April comes, the depression sets in and it festers until part way through September, when the relief/release comes, and blimey, it's a mind-blowing relief/release.

Even when I was a small child (5/6) my mother used to struggle to keep me indoors when it was cold and rainy and she would have to force me outside when it was hot. Thinking about it now, keeping myself out of the bright sunlight could be what has caused my osteopenia, which is a lack of bone density just short of osteoporosis. Viz my broken wrist last year. Lack of vitamin D which the body produces through exposure to sunlight.

Ah, well, you pays your money and all that............

:rolleyes: