Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

A Dry May

Posted

BUM. The last few showers have knocked us up to 16mm TODAY, and a monthly total of 21mm!

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme

Blimey 8.2 mm of rain to measure. Still got to top the ponds up but at least there's some rain in there.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme

Blimey 8.2 mm of rain to measure. Still got to top the ponds up but at least there's some rain in there.

More than here then, Pit. 6.1mm measured this morning taking the monthly total to 16.2mm, still looking likely to be the second driest May on record.

I was out early doing some forking and weeding this morning and the ground is still very dry, it would take 3 times as much rain as we had yesterday to do any real good.

A relatively dry May here too. In fact, it has been quite dry since the two immensely wet days at the start of April. I'm sure we will pay for this in the future. Wet summer anyone? :unknw:

Posted

More than here then, Pit. 6.1mm measured this morning taking the monthly total to 16.2mm, still looking likely to be the second driest May on record.

I was out early doing some forking and weeding this morning and the ground is still very dry, it would take 3 times as much rain as we had yesterday to do any real good.

15mm yesterday in this part.

Posted

Yesterday there was 10mm of rain which was the most in any 24 hour period since 3 April, now the total for May is 31mm so dry but not as dry as seemed likely.

Posted
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)

Dont forget to include last nights/this mornings rain (up to 10am).

A decent drop here- 5mm and more to come- a case of June 1sts rain making may less dry than it could have been.

Posted

12mm last night and this morning bringing May's total to about 44mm, so dry but nothing unusual.

I see that no significant rain reached further than the West Midlands and Pennines this morning so those in the east have had a notably dry month.

Posted

16.2 mm here in May, 26% of average, making it the driest since 1991 and the second driest in 47 years of records.

It was also the 10th driest month of any in the last 33 years at this site.

Posted

the driest May here since my auto station started in April 2005;

other data, like the number of days it has rained, any amount, which I have data back to January 1997, suggests its the driest back to 2004 when it also had 11 days of rain. They are the joint driest May's in my records. It was a much warmer month though, avge max of 18.7 and a mean of 13.2C compared to 17.5C and 12.0C respectively for May this year.

Posted

18.1 mm here driest since 2005. The driest was 11.2 mm in 1956 for us. The 8mm plus the other day wrecked chances of beating that. Over all driest spring since 1990 when only 55.3mm fell compared too 111.8mm this year.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Enjoy the weather, you can't take it with you 😎

18.1 mm here driest since 2005. The driest was 11.2 mm in 1956 for us. The 8mm plus the other day wrecked chances of beating that. Over all driest spring since 1990 when only 55.3mm fell compared too 111.8mm this year.

Ironic really, Radio4 news said that resevoirs picticularly in the Northwest are only just over half full and considering the back end of last year some places in that region had record rainfall! My neck of the woods has been dry although Im quite surprised that when I totted up Mays rainfall it came to 53.2mms not to far short of the average 61mms. Most of that rain fell on May 2nd when we had 35mms!

Edited by ANYWEATHER

Posted

Just 9.0mm here, the driest Ive ever recorded.

Posted

Just 9.0mm here, the wettest Ive ever recorded.

Crumbs, you live in a dry spot!

Posted

Crumbs, you live in a dry spot!

hehe, if only. Now corrected to mean what I actually meant to say! B)

Posted

Well dry spell continues into June. Yesterdays heavy rain brought 0.2mm no sign of any more this week so all eyes on next week.

Posted

288.3mm of rain up to May 31st here, the driest first 5 months of any year since 1976.

There's either a lot of 'balancing out' to be done in the next few months or we're heading for a very dry year.

• 3 weeks later...
Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet

Driest May for England and Wales since 1998 and the driest April May period since 1990

Do you know what the driest May-June period is and where we stand on that??