Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

A Dry May

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme

Continuing on from a very dry April. Just 8mm so far. April had 28.7mm while March had just below normal 65mm. And still no sign of any rain. Despite the dryness the coolness has allowed lawns and hedges to grow fairly well sadly.

Posted

Just 8mm? Ha. We have only had, get this, 1mm of rain here in Buxton. But it has been very cold and still is, so I would have preffered a raging zonal set up from the west with milder temperatures and more rain than crappy northerly winds.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot sunny , cold and snowy, thunderstorms

13.4mm so far here. Not hoping for an up-turn in rain, as I get married on the 30th May.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Dry and cold...

Incredibly dry on the hills as well, even the dreaded bogs on Red Moss in the Yorkshire Dales have shrunk to nowt. Most streams are bone dry as well.

Posted

Just 8mm? Ha. We have only had, get this, 1mm of rain here in Buxton. But it has been very cold and still is, so I would have preffered a raging zonal set up from the west with milder temperatures and more rain than crappy northerly winds.

Bloody hell. we have had more rain days than april i think, but most of rain has been small spits and drizzle and one or two bigger showers. but once again hardly anything. grass is going like green to yellow....

Edited by snowlover2009

Posted

If it carries get ready for TV programs saying the rivers will never run again due to climate change.

Weathers probably waiting for June and summer once again.

Posted

It has been rather dry,just need this to carry on to get the driest summer for 4 years!!

May is a pretty good month as a rule.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: warm, humid, thundery. Winter: mild, stormy, some snow.

In any other year dry would usually mean a warm summer but this summer perhaps a cool-cold dry scenario looks like occurring, whatever does occur looks dry though :lol:

Posted

Yesterday's rain/showers took May's total to 15mm, but there was over half an inch approx 5 miles South and North of my location due to some downpours during the late afternoon - downpours which here only caught the edges of.

Posted
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)

Still a bit early to say but could end up very dry. 20mm so far.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme

Just 7.0 mm here so far in May, it's the driest first half of May since 2000 but only 0.2 mm less than in the first half of May 2008.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The Actual Weather ..... not fantasy.

dunno how much rain/precip we have had, but going on grass growth (my profession) it is very much reduced.

ok, its only just showing signes of drought stress in the most prone areas, but this is the season where it grows the thickest and longest and im taking off alot less then normal.

this is causing me some concern as ive already lost a grand courtesy of the cold winter, the last thing i want now is a '75, '76, '95, '90, or late 03.

Posted

Still on 8mm trace yesterday.

But it has been very cold and still is.

Not in the daytime it hasnt felt cold at all once the sun is up it feels warm, nights have been very cold for the time of year yes.

Even with cool 850's ive seen many people out in shorts in the morning and even some without any top on, males unfortunately.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Dry and cold...

some without any top on, males unfortunately

One of the reasons I'm never that bothered with summer in the UK...

Posted

Yes a notably dry start to the year so far, this month doesn't look like it will deliver much rain - all indicative of high pressure ruling the roost, the atlantic really has been exceptionally quiet since early dec.

Posted

Just 6.6mm this month, which is 15% of the expected monthly amount.

There has been just 70.2mm so far all spring, with the 1971-2000 average being 131.5mm.

Spring 2007 (85.8mm) and 2009 (104.0mm) were both dry too. January and February were both >150% though.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

I don't have rainfall stats available for Norwich but it certainly appears to have been very dry here. We had a bit of rain overnight 2nd/3rd and some sharp showers on the 4th, then after that it's been almost completely dry with just the odd spot of rain- nearly all of last week's convective stuff missed Norwich.

Posted

Looks like this weekends rain events are now being downgraded on each run so no proper rain anytime soon here, its stayed dry and bright today so far, it's not rained properly here now as in a proper decent heavy fall since March as the rain events earlier this month tended to fizzle out over here dumping no more than 1-2mm maximum each time and i can't remember any notable falls of rain in April either.

Edited by conor123

Guest North Sea Snow Convection

An enjoyable month so far - a nice fresh north/north easterly for half the month and then a warm spell that didn't go too OTT and had some nice blues skies, relatively low humidity and the wind stayed in more or less the right direction from the east to keep it comfortable down here.

There was plenty of sogsville back in Feb and then late March and the dry quiet Spring weather has been very welcome for me. With just a little more rain to dampen the gardens over the next few days with hopefully some sunshine too then that should balance things out well.

Edited by North Sea Snow Convection

Posted

LOl Todays rain has managed 0.2mm since 13:00 when the first spots fell. Very dusty out there my cars covered in it. Hopefully it's beef up overnight but I doubt it.

Posted

Just 6.6mm this month, which is 15% of the expected monthly amount.

There has been just 70.2mm so far all spring, with the 1971-2000 average being 131.5mm.

Spring 2007 (85.8mm) and 2009 (104.0mm) were both dry too. January and February were both >150% though.

I just checked the rainfall totals for my official weather station (RAF Wittering) and we have recorded nearly the same as you. From March 1st upto today we have seen 69.2mm of rainfall. The average total for March, April, May is 142mm.

Posted

The dry May has come to an end just had 10mm of rain in a torrential hail shower,and now it`s cold at 9.5c