Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

Still no real rainfall in your area?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snow, Windstorms and Thunderstorms

I think Ireland has averaged over 200% of its July rainfall with several station over 250% and Claremorris finishing at 313%!

Here's a link to a brief review of the month by Met Eireann link

• Replies 569
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted

We only seem able to get rain on showery days. Every time a frontal system is predicted to bring persistent rain in the last month

there is no more than drizzle, the most recent instances have been Tuesday 20 July, Friday 30 July and yesterday.

Whereas the only measurable rain in the last month has come from 3 showery days : Thursday 22 July (23mm), Wednesday 4 (5mm)

and today (3.5mm).

The last frontal rain came on the evening of Thursday 15 July.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, squally fronts, snow, frost, very mild if no snow or frost

its good the showers are lasting long enough when they come through, had a good watering early saturday and heavy shrs in day, helping the grass and wildlife, low river will stay low as its not enough rain, but we dont want higher rivers in summer...thinking of people doing water activitys that dont want muddy fast rivers.

Posted

Its been a fairly dry start to August here suprisingly. We have seen just over half an inch of rain and have missed any showers. The only wet day was Friday and even then the rain was quite showery in nature. Big contrast to July when every frontal rain event brought very heavy sustained and long lasting periods of rain.

The coming week looks like being a bit wetter and I am expecting some heavier bursts of rain on Tuesday and possibly some sharp showers on Wednesday.

Posted

Its been a fairly dry start to August here suprisingly. We have seen just over half an inch of rain and have missed any showers. The only wet day was Friday and even then the rain was quite showery in nature. Big contrast to July when every frontal rain event brought very heavy sustained and long lasting periods of rain.

The coming week looks like being a bit wetter and I am expecting some heavier bursts of rain on Tuesday and possibly some sharp showers on Wednesday.

Half an inch, that would be glorious, we have had 3.1mm this month. Getting to the point where a change of position of the high pressure is so welcomed now, we are desperate for good rainfall.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme

Half an inch, that would be glorious, we have had 3.1mm this month. Getting to the point where a change of position of the high pressure is so welcomed now, we are desperate for good rainfall.

It looks as if Tuesday might provide you with some meaningful rainfall, perhaps even 12mm. Unfortunately I'll be much too far north and will have to rely on showers which, if recent times are anything to go by, will pass within a few miles of here without actually producing anything useful.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme

A spell of heavy rain over southern Derbyshire last night but here in the desertified southern Peak District, not a drop.

I'm beginning to have feelings of paranoia that some higher pluvial sentient being is deliberately playing games with me.

Posted

A spell of heavy rain over southern Derbyshire last night but here in the desertified southern Peak District, not a drop.

I'm beginning to have feelings of paranoia that some higher pluvial sentient being is deliberately playing games with me.

yes, TM, the rain missed here as well. My garden with being away for several spells in the last few weeks is really showing signs of stress. Various bushes and shrubs I've never had a problem with in 20 years are looking pretty woeful and I'm not sure that several hours of watering will revive them.

Posted

Free rain on offer from here to anyone that wants it, I do not think that we have had one 24 hour dry period in the last 2 weeks although having said that it hasn"t rained all the time ands only ocasionally has it been really heavy. Wellies are the order of the day on the farm now as it is very humid a not drying up a lot between spells of rain.The barley could do with some sun to hasten ripening before the the weather becomes autumnal but the turnips which are 90% water are looking fabulous after the dry June and the grass is growing again. We look like writing off our last patch of hay but most of it was secured in good condition so it is not a total loss.

On a brighter note our old red tractor won the vintage tractor section at our local show, plenty of wet days for polishing!!!!!!!post-2744-004755600 1280680321_thumb.jpg

a lot of TLC gone into that beauty,what year is it?peter.

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme

After a wet July it's looking like we're moving back to another below average month. Despite having rain every day bar today we've only had 9.5mm. The interesting weather seems to further north or much further south. However because of the wet July the garden has gone barmy and the small amounts of rain have been enough to keep it growing.

Posted

yes, TM, the rain missed here as well. My garden with being away for several spells in the last few weeks is really showing signs of stress. Various bushes and shrubs I've never had a problem with in 20 years are looking pretty woeful and I'm not sure that several hours of watering will revive them.

Shows how extreme the NW/SE split has been, in Leeds the grass is the greenest it's been all year, there isn't any brown grass and all the plants are looking healthy and full of life.

Posted

Just been gardening today and the soil has dried out to dust again. So far today's heavy showers have been mostly either a one second jobbie or a few spots on the windscreen. Nothing measurable so far.

Although the forecast says otherwise if the rain goes elsewhere it won't be long before the grass starts to go brown again.

Posted

Just been gardening today and the soil has dried out to dust again. So far today's heavy showers have been mostly either a one second jobbie or a few spots on the windscreen. Nothing measurable so far.

Although the forecast says otherwise if the rain goes elsewhere it won't be long before the grass starts to go brown again.

If the GFS is to believed South York should get some very heavy rain tomorrow morning, unfortunately the NAE only suggests 2-3mm of rain so you may not get the soaking you need.

Posted

Can someone tell me where are the dry parts of the UK? I arrived back a week ago and went through the southeast to London and then across to Wales. Everywhere I saw was pleasantly green. Is it the NE that is dry?

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet

Can someone tell me where are the dry parts of the UK? I arrived back a week ago and went through the southeast to London and then across to Wales. Everywhere I saw was pleasantly green. Is it the NE that is dry?

The north west and north east were baring the brunt of the dry spring, however there has been quite a bit of rain since the beggining of July in these areas, so provided these areas do not see another prolonged dry spell soon, it should not be an issue. The other area baring the brunt is the south east and East Anglia, however things are not as bad as in 2006 when hospipe bans were enforced.

Posted

The dry spell continues here, and despite rain being forecast on a number of days recently,still nothing.

The grass is still rather brown in places around here.

Posted

If the GFS is to believed South York should get some very heavy rain tomorrow morning, unfortunately the NAE only suggests 2-3mm of rain so you may not get the soaking you need.

We got 2.3mm so not a bad prediction and another 1.8 mm today so far.

Edited by The PIT

Posted

Dribs and drabs of rain continuing now up to 13.3mm of rain for the month. Any more rain for you TM????

Rained everyday bar one so far.

Posted

We've had 5.6mm of rain so far today taking us to 30% of the monthly average.

We've still only had 67.6mm this summer which is well under any other in the last 10 years. The next nearest is 2006 with 140.7mm.