Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Butterflies

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, hot, sunny springs and summers.

Made me laugh.

I've seen hardly any butterflies this year, not a single Cabbage White.

But yesterday when it was raining, I saw at least 3?

Edited by Backtrack

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The Actual Weather ..... not fantasy.

had a few earlier on in the year... small tortoishells, brimstones, peacocks and holly blues .. seen no vanessids yet this summer but we are getting some meadow browns and speckled wood. numbers are low though... maybe there will be more in a few weeks..

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: warm, humid, thundery. Winter: mild, stormy, some snow.

I saw most of them in Spring, but Butterflies don't really start exploding population-wise, normally until into July.

I spotted a Swallowtail butterfly, not sure what species it was but it looked quite exotic (although it was native)

Posted

It's been a good year for butterflies round here - particularly Tortoiseshells and Red Admirals. In the park near the office (on top of the Hampshire downs) there are loads of Chalkhill Blues and Marbled Whites everywhere.

Maybe here in the south the butterfly population explodes earlier in the year?

Edited by Stargazer

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: warm, humid, thundery. Winter: mild, stormy, some snow.

I'm not sure, it can't be a climatic restraint, because up until mid-late May, my area actually benefits from warmer weather generally than most parts of the south, it's only really into June that the south gets it's warm weather reputation. That said I have seen butterflies around in April/May/June before, but the real frequency comes in July.

Perhaps it has something to do with the strength of the sun.. and of course many caterpillars have different lengths of time in cocoon.

Posted

I saw most of them in Spring, but Butterflies don't really start exploding population-wise, normally until into July.

I spotted a Swallowtail butterfly, not sure what species it was but it looked quite exotic (although it was native)

a swallowtail? really? thats very rare especially up there... reckon it might have been a captive bred released one..

It's been a good year for butterflies round here - particularly Tortoiseshells and Red Admirals. In the park near the office (on top of the Hampshire downs) there are loads of Chalkhill Blues and Marbled Whites everywhere.

...and youre close to france, on a breeze it doesnt take long for them to migrate. the blues though are probably local.

seen a few small tortoishells now along with the meadow browns and speckled woods.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme

The most notable thing about the butterfly population around here this year is the absence of Large and Small Whites which are normally some of the commonest species.

There are plenty of Meadow Brown, Common Blue, Speckled Wood and Small Skipper and a lesser number of Peacock, Small Copper, Small Tortoiseshell, Red Admiral and Orange Tip.

I've not yet seen any Painted Lady or any of the Fritillaries.

Posted

had 2 ringlets in the garden today...first time ever ive had two (or seen two) of these uncommon visitors :)

Posted
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)

Plentiful butterfies this Summer here, mostly Meadow Browns, Tortoiseshell, Red Admiral recently.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

Hardly seen any. Even the buddleias are bereft!

Posted

Hardly seen any. Even the buddleias are bereft!

buddleias generally are not out here yet, mine arnt, some others are just opening.

Posted

Buddleias are noxious spreading invasive weed here, good for the butterflies but seriously difficult to erradicate.

Posted

Buddleias are noxious spreading invasive weed here, good for the butterflies but seriously difficult to erradicate.

no they aint, shallow rooted, easily pulled up and killed.

they are getting rather prolific though and tbh theres possibly more then there are butterflies (plus moths and bees etc) to feed off them!

Posted

no they aint, shallow rooted, easily pulled up and killed.

they are getting rather prolific though and tbh theres possibly more then there are butterflies (plus moths and bees etc) to feed off them!

Although they are shallow rooted, it's more a case of there so many of them seeding around that makes them difficult to erradicate, they have so many seeds on one plant :blink:

Posted

Loads of bees including the bumble variety on our clover field (lawn).

Posted

Although they are shallow rooted, it's more a case of there so many of them seeding around that makes them difficult to erradicate, they have so many seeds on one plant :whistling:

true they are a prolific seeder... anyway its nit picking, yes they proliferate like weeds but can be got rid of easily.

saw my first summer commas today, and a white one! lol.

Posted

Saw my first small tortoiseshell (who the heck invented that word?) yesterday and, maybe, a ringlet???

Posted

Saw my first small tortoiseshell (who the heck invented that word?) yesterday and, maybe, a ringlet???

ringlets are chocolatey brown with little ringlets on their underwing, visible when resting. meadow browns are common, similar colour but abit lighter and have an orangy patch on their wings... gatekeepers are similar but smaller and theres the lovely speckled woods... brown and cream..

Posted

ringlets are chocolatey brown with little ringlets on their underwing, visible when resting. meadow browns are common, similar colour but abit lighter and have an orangy patch on their wings... gatekeepers are similar but smaller and theres the lovely speckled woods... brown and cream..

Thanks Mush. Whatever it was it was the colour of a Caramac bar...

Posted
  • Location: SW of Sherborne. About a mile from the Somerset border.
  • Location: SW of Sherborne. About a mile from the Somerset border.

Thanks Mush. Whatever it was it was the colour of a Caramac bar...

Mmmmmm, Caramac! Wonderful invention and still available. Reckon it was probably a Ringlet!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and lots of it or warm and sunny, no mediocre dross

Mmmm, Caramac melted and drizzled over Carte D'Or vanilla ice cream. Heavenly.

Erm, Butterflies......lots around here, especially little blue ones.

Posted

Mmmmmm, Caramac! Wonderful invention and still available. Reckon it was probably a Ringlet!

noooo ringlets are dark chocolate coloured, not light... meadow brown i think then, they are lighter.

having a record year for ringlets in my garden atm... saw another 2 today, seen more now then any other butterfly this summer (not spring).

Posted

Mmmm, Caramac melted and drizzled over Carte D'Or vanilla ice cream. Heavenly.

Erm, Butterflies......lots around here, especially little blue ones.

Even better with a Dime bar.....

Err, saw a white cabbagey thing earlier *cough*

Posted

Even better with a Dime bar.....

Err, saw a white cabbagey thing earlier *cough*

i have noticed more butterflies than normal this year, in terms of numbers and types. very encouraging and a lovely site. I am envious of those of you who can identify them all.