Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

General Storm Discussion Thread

Coast

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

Looks like there is a large band of heavy showers extending NW-SE into north-east England at the moment. I remember the phenomenon in north-westerly flows well from my Tyneside days- a wall of cumulonimbus extending WNW-ESE would extend slowly south-east, giving the impression of the cloud slowly advancing from the north and east, and often a big deluge would follow. More often than not it didn't give rise to a thunderstorm, but there was one last July from such a band.

Just cloudy still in Norwich though.

Posted

Yeah TWS im in Cramlington and getting that deluge now got to say though i havent seen any CB's yet just a lot of statoCU towers

I was at Cresswell at about 4 and there was an immense downpour flooded the caravan park

TONY

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and heat, North Sea snow

Torrential downpour just started, wasn't expecting this!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, squally fronts, snow, frost, very mild if no snow or frost

if you were standing were i am looking at the nw skyline ,you would think a storm is developing.

Thats what i think!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms :D

One rumble of thunder heard towards Birdlip :)

Nope, nothing here! Radar looks quiet too!

Edited by Jane Louise

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

Quite an impressive wall of black cloud has approached Norwich but it's a case of it looking far more impressive than it really is. Just a small shower on the radar.

Posted

Decent chance of a few rumbles of Thunder in some Sharp showers tomorrow afternoon for mainly Lincs, Norfolk, Suffolk, Essex and Kent. Further to the West essentialy a dry day with spells of Sunshine and Cloud. Western most limits of the Showers probably the London area upto the Central East Midlands and Central parts of Yorkshire.

One to look out for as there may be some nice skies to be had

Paul S

Posted

Decent chance of a few rumbles of Thunder in some Sharp showers tomorrow afternoon for mainly Lincs, Norfolk, Suffolk, Essex and Kent. Further to the West essentialy a dry day with spells of Sunshine and Cloud. Western most limits of the Showers probably the London area upto the Central East Midlands and Central parts of Yorkshire.

Paul S

Hopefully a clear morning then, got some garden stuff to do then settle down to nice storms later

Posted

Paul S

This is what they got in Kansas yesterday..LOL :lol: :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch#!v=dgfAMZqSABU

AND jULY12TH http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jp8mCYulbZ0

Edited by Pat Carter

Posted
  • Location: Bedworth , 5 Miles North Of Coventry , 3 Miles South Of Nuneaton
  • Location: Bedworth , 5 Miles North Of Coventry , 3 Miles South Of Nuneaton

Those Videos Are Insane

Glad I Don't Live In That Part Of The World

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, squally fronts, snow, frost, very mild if no snow or frost

oh my storm never materialized (i knew not anyway,im just in fantasy land), like TWS said looks more impressive than it is, had some heavy showers ,i dont remember a summer without a passing storm ,the minimum being a distance storm ,this goes into my record books but we have august and september yet ,we shall proberly get a spanish plume in september, i think an interesting, unusual and at times exciting weather to come over the months ahead.

Posted

Slim chance I guess......

gfs_cape_eur12.png

gfs_spout_eur12.png

gfs_lapse2_eur12.png

All the real action looks to be the wrong side of the Channel again today :clap:

I'm waiting to see what becomes of the days just before the 5th and the 7th now.

Posted
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)

Done a forecast for the small risk of 1 or 2 storms across E Anglia and SE England this afternoon/early evening:

http://www.netweather.tv/index.cgi?action=convective;sess=

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

Done a forecast for the small risk of 1 or 2 storms across E Anglia and SE England this afternoon/early evening:

http://www.netweather.tv/index.cgi?action=convective;sess=

However dire the risk, its so refreshing to see the thunderstorm risk zone embrace the SE corner :unsure:

Posted
  • Location: Home near Sellindge, 80m/250feet, 5miles from Coast
  • Weather Preferences: Severe Storms and Snow

However dire the risk, its so refreshing to see the thunderstorm risk zone embrace the SE corner :rolleyes:

How's it looking there Harry? , although it's partly cloudy here if i hadn't seen the forecast i would not have thought of storms today.

http://www.ukweatherworld.co.uk/forum/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=38203&posts=4&start=1

Slight Risk of Sharp Convective Showers and Funnel Development East UK regions 12Z-21Z

:unsure:

Posted

How's it looking there Harry? , although it's partly cloudy here if i hadn't seen the forecast i would not have thought of storms today.

http://www.ukweatherworld.co.uk/forum/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=38203&posts=4&start=1

:unsure:

In a word Neil, messy! Bits of blue sky but a mess of cumulus cloud, making it very difficult to see the skyscape and the more finer detail. Skies do look somewhat conducive to showers, but other than that mate I really couldnt say :rolleyes:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe Storms and Snow

Intense cell looks like it's near eastbourne !

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and heat, North Sea snow

I think East Anglia is the place to be for any downpours today, not sure there'll be any thunder though.

Posted

I think East Anglia is the place to be for any downpours today, not sure there'll be any thunder though.

Some sferics already showing across Norfolk recently. I wonder if TWS has heard anything?

Posted

That brontophobe signature might simply be meant to be ironic humour for all those who are endlessly whinging/complaining that they haven't got their storm fix. It might be frustrating for you all,and expressing frustration is one thing, but there are people who genunely don't like/fear or don't want storms for a variety of reasons and of late there seems to have been a source of amusement amonst the regular 'in-club' storm fraternity directed in this respect.. Whilst I don't use the weather threads any longer on this forum, and not that I am anything other than an ordinary looker in on this forum like most everyone else, I have been keeping an eye on the posts on this thread for this suspected reason and there are definitely some who have been having a few derisory jibes. I include myself very much in this target area. Sadly it has been been apparent in a few moderator/team posts as well and that naturally becomes a green light for anyone else to join in. I am not going to start posting examples of it all here and now, but they have been there for sure over the last few weeks or so..

As a parallel to this thread, and an illustration of my point - winter time gets tiresome with the clamour for snow all the time and the winter general thread is a parallel equivalent comparison to this one. As one who is a big fan of winter snow, I actually get very tired of the whinging during that season, but would only really especially object if anyone who didn't share my enjoyment of (some) snow, or worried about the effects of it, or had any other reason for not wanting it, were made to feel small or stupid because of it, or for their personal reasons. I wouldn't dream of making fun at anyones expense in this regard. . So the summer version exists on here, but is made worse by the apparent jibes towards those who may be 'brontophobes' or who just don't welcome storms...for whatever reason.

It is a not a case of anyone in this regard wanting to spoil the fun of storm wishers. Talk about them, and the possibility of them by all means as the purpose of the thread is obviously set up - but lets treat anyone who worries about them with a bit more respect. I never knew that I would end up becoming such like, as a former quite recent storm enthusiast:( .

I think I missed this one NSSC!

I too don't like the thought of people being mocked for phobia afflictions - when I was younger, I was certainly what I'd call a brontophobe. Thunderstorms petrified me (thunder, not so much the lightning) to the extent I'd have shaking fits, be in tears or more often the case, both!

But to be honest, I don't detect this intolerance of brontophobes. I personally would be very surprised if I'm the only fanatic on here, who is one from overcoming their morbid fear of storms.

One thing I do find somewhat frustrating, is when people who clearly have a fear of storms, post on the thread which is dedicated to storms and their brilliance. I would be one of the first to volunteer any help I could, to turn around peoples phobia of storms, which by some fluke really I managed to do for me...but that help never appears to be asked - just a casual moan or whinge about something which 99% of the contributors to that particular thread are obsessed with. I have a strong phobia of insects, particularly crane flies, moths and birds (if in an enclosed room which I had the unfortunate horror of dealing with last week). I got ribbed in the States for my phobia of crane flies and the like, but that can only be expected. Who wouldn't find funny the site of a young 6ft lad, launching out of a room at the site of a flimsy, gangly, harmless stick dancing clumsily and harmlessly through the air? My phobia of crane flies and moths is no different to anyone's phobia of thunder/lightning...yet I do accept a certain degree of ridicule, because it helps me deal with it and really, can only be expected!

Driving in the snow scares me as well, and I dread the forecast which says several inches of snow is on the way, because effectively I'm house bound - I don't like walking in it either as I always seem to go over. Yet when many forum members are getting excited by the prospect of the white stuff, I don't go into the thread and disrupt the flow by having a whinge about how driving in the snow scares me, and how my life becomes a mess because of it! Normally there's a separate whinging thread to which I vent my frustrations :) I wouldn't expect many posts reading "awww, poor Harry" while everyone else is bursting with excitement at the thought of snow!

Give and take IMO - if I read a post which seriously mocked someones phobia, I'd be the first to launch a scathing attack back, because that's the gobby sod I am - yet in all fairness, I don't recall seeing one. But equally, I think some of the worst things in life can be cured with comedy and having a laugh...not AT someone, but AT the thing which is causing them so many problems! I try and overcome my fears of insects by reading up about them, different species, effectively making my interest in them be a positive one rather than striking fear.

In conclusion, I really don't think there is a problem on this thread with sniggering comments etc.

Edited by Coast

Posted

One thing I do find somewhat frustrating, is when people who clearly have a fear of storms, post on the thread which is dedicated to storms and their brilliance[/b

Then maybe the solution is a dedicated thread Pinned at the top for Brontophobes ??

I agree with Harry - This is the Storm Discussion Thread and unfortunately people are going to get excited at the prospect of Storms, If you want to bang on about being scared then you are in the wrong thread, I symphasise with people being scared but surely you guys need your own thread.

Will put it to the team and see if we can set up a thread for you guys and then we can get on with talking about storms in this thread without feeling persecuted.

Hell we can even pop over to your thread and let you know when Storms might be forecast :)

Paul S