Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Perseids 2010

Posted

Well it's August, and that means it's Perseids time again!

Peak is the night of the 12th August, and anytime after midnight is for best viewing. Usual ZHR's are around 60-100.

twitter was a #meteorwatch with people's updates on the meteors :D

Anyone have any good ideas where is very dark around Manchester/NW England to be able to view these properly?

Edited by Dazmaster75

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet

Peak is the night of the 12th August, and anytime after midnight is for best viewing. Usual ZHR's are around 60-100.

twitter was a #meteorwatch with people's updates on the meteors :D

Anyone have any good ideas where is very dark around Manchester/NW England to be able to view these properly?

Your best bet is the Pennines/peak District.

Posted

I think i'm going to head up over the A58 past Blackstone Edge. Just hoping it's clear!

Posted

I think i'm going to head up over the A58 past Blackstone Edge. Just hoping it's clear!

Amazing how long it is for an A road, i live on the A58 and i live just outside Leeds.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, squally fronts, snow, frost, very mild if no snow or frost

i bet there be widespread storms on the night.

Ive seen meteors and some good fireballs over the years ,usually long green tails, just beautiful they are, and the long lasting ones(5secs or so) quite rare.

Edited by nimbilus

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm and stormy.

This will be my second attempt at photographing a shooting star "Perseids" ,last year i thourght i had one in the bag but not to be,it was so bright as well :(

nimbilus, that would be a splendid capture, thunder storm/night time lightning and a shooting star hmmmmm.

Posted

i bet there be widespread storms on the night.

Ive seen meteors and some good fireballs over the years ,usually long green tails, just beautiful they are, and the long lasting ones(5secs or so) quite rare.

I saw two a couple of months ago and even started a thread, however there were no comets near us at the time, so they were probably just rogues.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

This will be my second attempt at photographing a shooting star "Perseids" ,last year i thourght i had one in the bag but not to be,it was so bright as well :whistling:

nimbilus, that would be a splendid capture, thunder storm/night time lightning and a shooting star hmmmmm.

I got what I suspect to be a shooting star in this photo I took in the States - it's not the most defined, but nevertheless looks pretty cool! You'll see it centre top just above the anvil (it's not that clear from this photo, yet when I view it on my laptop it comes out much brighter)

post-3790-068968800 1280846123_thumb.jpg

Edited by Harry

Posted

Wow Harry, that is pretty convincing that you have indeed photographed a meteor and lightning at the same time :) great picture :)

Posted

twitter was a #meteorwatch with people's updates on the meteors :)

Well reminded - I shall be standing out in the rain again this year no doubt !!

Posted

Harry

Never..... :) that is exactly what i had in my head,that is an amazing shot and well captured to Harry.

But what i meant was thunder storm/night time lightning / tornado and a shooting star :)

Cheers Del.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms, Warm summer evenings

Spotted an early perseid last night here at around 1.45am. Went from overhead (Casseopia/Perseus) to the north , into Ursa Major. I'd estimate a magntitde of 0 and it was yellowish in colour.

Ive read on the International Meteor Organization's website that rates of 10-25 meteors per hour are being observed at the moment. Looks like the perseids are gonna put on quite a show on the 12th/13th :)

Edited by Calum

Posted

I would highly advise watching twitter on this, Calum, as you said, people on there are saying 20 ZHR at the moment, a good week before the maximum, the moon will be a sliver, and I think, doesn't even rise until much later in the night. I keep looking out at my flat when it's clear, but I probably won't see anything higher than 0 magnitude as I have suburban lighting.

Oh and asc, I was also looking at the B6138 too, seems the most isolated aorund these parts :)

Posted

Hi.

Took this last night. Funny really as i didn't even see it :pardon:and its my first one....

4864885997_1b14769c31_b.jpg

4864906485_28a7d94c48_z.jpg

These was my settings last night but not sure they was the best to use.....Any advise would be so welcome

Cheers Del

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot & Sunny, Cold & Snowy

We're up the Hill opposite Blackstone Edge so I'll be in my back garden :whistling: .........in case it rains.....

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snow, Windstorms and Thunderstorms

GFS 12z shows good clear skies 11th, 12th and 13th. Should be a good show this year :good:

Posted

Can anyone advise me which way to look in the night sky from tonight as i have search the web for a map and i am still not sure which way i need to be looking and at what times

chris

Posted

Can anyone advise me which way to look in the night sky from tonight as i have search the web for a map and i am still not sure which way i need to be looking and at what times

chris

You can check the sky out anytime from now till around the 15th or so and you'll be likely to see something. The night of the 12th and early hours of the 13th is the peak period and I believe it's best to look towards the North East. Hope that helps :rolleyes:

Posted

You can check the sky out anytime from now till around the 15th or so and you'll be likely to see something. The night of the 12th and early hours of the 13th is the peak period and I believe it's best to look towards the North East. Hope that helps :rolleyes:

Is there more of them to the northeast or is that the direction they come from?

100% clear skies here in Wexford at the moment so I'm goin out for a look.

Does antbody know where the moon will be on the night of 12th(on the other side of the world hopefully), I think much of the perseids last year was ruined by a full moon.

Posted

The Moon should not be a problem this year as it will be new on 10th August.

Best time to look for Perseids is generally during the early hours of the morning during maxima, and with no Moon to spoil the dark sky, I think it could be a pretty good event this year. :)

Just hope the weather will be kind too. dry.gif

Phil.

Posted

The Moon should not be a problem this year as it will be new on 10th August.

Best time to look for Perseids is generally during the early hours of the morning during maxima, and with no Moon to spoil the dark sky, I think it could be a pretty good event this year. :)

Just hope the weather will be kind too. dry.gif

Phil.

Thanks Phil , that' reassuring anyway , fingers crossed for the weather i suppose is all we can do :)

Posted

Is there more of them to the northeast or is that the direction they come from?

100% clear skies here in Wexford at the moment so I'm goin out for a look.

Does antbody know where the moon will be on the night of 12th(on the other side of the world hopefully), I think much of the perseids last year was ruined by a full moon.

Yup, they radiate from the Perseus constellation. Though it's best not to focus in any one spot as they can occur over most of the sky, just generally look high up towards the north east.

The moon will be setting before 10pm so should be perfect conditions!

Posted

I've read that Cygnus/Cassispeia/Pegasus are good areas to watch, which at this time of the year are pretty high up in the NE sky :)