Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Convective Weather General Discussion

Coast

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

Heard thunder twice while waiting for the bus in Staines half an hour ago between two very heavy showers. Raining very heavily now but can't hear or see anything.

Posted

Went in and out of hail showers on the train home from Manchester this afternoon. Managed to get a wide view of the heavy showers around Hazel Grove/Middlewood and observed some lightning. This would have been about 16:15 or so. That was it though as it was mostly obscured.

Edited by RichardR

Posted
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)

The line of showers which moved south into west Kent early evening produced an impressive shelf cloud as I drove north to south London - unfortunately didn't take a camera today. The rain with hail mixed in was pretty intense while driving on the dual carriageway - reminded me of core punching in the USA B)

There was a report of large hail from someone calling in on radio 2 travel news on the A21 near Tonbridge shortly after I passed, though all I saw was pea size. The skies looked rather striking with the low sun shining beneath the approaching shelf cloud, like Snow Cat shows in her photos earlier. A good treat for the drive home.

Posted

I heard the Thunder from that shower as it passed SE over Disley/New Mills. Although by the time it got here around 5pm the precip had already vastly died out leaving just the mid-level clouds. Looked impressive as it was approaching however, well-defined inflow and moderate rain shafts covering the peaks.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, squally fronts, snow, frost, very mild if no snow or frost

The line of showers which moved south into west Kent early evening produced an impressive shelf cloud as I drove north to south London - unfortunately didn't take a camera today. The rain with hail mixed in was pretty intense while driving on the dual carriageway - reminded me of core punching in the USA B)

There was a report of large hail from someone calling in on radio 2 travel news on the A21 near Tonbridge shortly after I passed, though all I saw was pea size. The skies looked rather striking with the low sun shining beneath the approaching shelf cloud, like Snow Cat shows in her photos earlier. A good treat for the drive home.

nimbilus-Amazing skys went dark early then poured.

Posted

The line of showers which moved south into west Kent early evening produced an impressive shelf cloud as I drove north to south London - unfortunately didn't take a camera today.

We had that right into Mid Sussex at around the same time Nick, then the clouds opened and torrential rain for half an hour on the way home. No lightning but could easily have turned that way with the right conditions. Only had the phone camera and there wasn't enough light to get a good shot.

Posted

Still looks like a risk of heavy showers/thunderstorms towards southern counties tomorrow, as upper trough moves in behind the cold front exiting SE England in the early morning, which will introduce colder upper air and create steep lapse rates - particularly across southern counties where we hang on to moister air (higher dew points) and influence of warm SSTs.

Hail and lightning likely to accompany heavy showers - and earlier on in the day we have some overlap of strong deep layer and low level shear near the cold front/parallel jet, so a tornado can't be ruled out near the south coast early morning IMO - before wind shear (and tornado potential) declines quite rapidly through the morning.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, squally fronts, snow, frost, very mild if no snow or frost

WOW! great storm forecast Nick.F.

hope to see something note worthy, harry where are you? the threads woken up again!

Posted
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)

23mm in the past 4 hours some of it torrential (max 45mm/hour), looks like its about to clear. Was not expecting that!