Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Convective Weather General Discussion

Coast

Posted

Wish i could watch more of the video weather09 but the camera work is so bad its made me feel quite nauseous, nevertheless impressive storm..!! I missed the storms here yesterday as i was working in a very noisy kitchen missed everything but i did catch some great convection around lunch time. Oh well there's always next year.

That was one cracking good storm and I would love to have seen it first hand. Regarding the camera work, its difficult to say without sounding critical but I agree it did make me a bit nauseous as well. Something I have learned over the years is while its tempting to keep sweeeping back and forth not wanting to miss a thing, it leads to a lot of zooming in and out etc and you actually miss the wider picture. Its invariably better to just set your camera up on a tripod, press record and do nothing else. That said I take my hat off to the person who happened to be in the right place at the right time and took the video.

Posted

That is brilliant stuff! So weird to think i was watching the same storm from NE Walsall. It was huge! Watched it roll in just like that!

and to think I was under it!!!! great storm, some great cloud formations, even some wall cloud was spotted over Walsall way.

Posted

Great video here of the storm last night - shows well the frequency of the lightning, and the thunder gives you a feel for how strong some of the bolts were. Couple of them over this house were ground shakers. Really wish I had been in Wolverhampton while this storm was at its most intense.

Great video there! loved it when the geese were flying away from the storm.:)

Posted
<br />Great video here of the storm last night - shows well the frequency of the lightning, and the thunder gives you a feel for how strong some of the bolts were. Couple of them over this house were ground shakers. Really wish I had been in Wolverhampton while this storm was at its most intense. <br /><br />
<br />
<br /><br /><br />

Thats what i call a storm i love when the birds fly away from the storm :D

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

finally back on-line after the electrical damage caused by last thursday's storms.....It's been a bit of a nightmare!....still trying to sort out the insurance claim, the phones went back on yesterday evening, sky tv back on this morning, & internet back on 30 mins ago, am currently surfing the net on an ancient pentium 2 PC (circa 1998) as my gaming/browsing rig went up in smoke (CPU, motherboard, PSU & hard drive fried).....I've some nice video footage of the storm on cam-corder, including the moment the bolt hit the TV ariel, but wont be able to upload any video until my new PC arrives hopefully sometime in the next week or so, this PC I'm on now cant handle HD video, or any video come to think of it...lol......Anyhoos, it's a relief to be back on-line and indeed able to watch sky TV again, it's been like living in the stone ages these past few days!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms :D

finally back on-line after the electrical damage caused by last thursday's storms.....It's been a bit of a nightmare!....still trying to sort out the insurance claim, the phones went back on yesterday evening, sky tv back on this morning, & internet back on 30 mins ago, am currently surfing the net on an ancient pentium 2 PC (circa 1998) as my gaming/browsing rig went up in smoke (CPU, motherboard, PSU & hard drive fried).....I've some nice video footage of the storm on cam-corder, including the moment the bolt hit the TV ariel, but wont be able to upload any video until my new PC arrives hopefully sometime in the next week or so, this PC I'm on now cant handle HD video, or any video come to think of it...lol......Anyhoos, it's a relief to be back on-line and indeed able to watch sky TV again, it's been like living in the stone ages these past few days!

Hi AJ,

Must of been awful for you all. :nonono:Lucky that you and your family are okay. Has it put you off storms yet? Look forward to seeing your videos when you get your new comp.:hi:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms & Snow.

Looks like a very heavy area of rain heading towards SW & Wales at the moment.

Posted

So what have I been missing then? :cc_confused:

No time for an in-depth looky today, just this general view of the next few days:

MU_London_avn.png

MU_Manchester_avn.png

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

<br /><br /><br />

Thats what i call a storm i love when the birds fly away from the storm :o

Very nice!! At first it looked like a weak thundery shower, yet as it went on, the formation began to come together nicely, with the lightning becoming more frequent. From 8:30 onwards, you wouldn't stupid for thinking a funnel was being illuminated!

Pretty convinced the clap right at the beginning was a +ve bolt with the rest being -ve. I liked the way the storm occurred around evening time too, with the setting sun providing a nice darkening bluey/mauve skyline against the darkening tower...

Poetry in motion

Not to crap on anyone's parade, based on that video, to call it 'epic' may be slightly emphatic, but heck it's better than any storms I've seen in the UK this year...in fact, other than the 3rd/4th June plume, I wouldn't say I have any UK storms this year!!

Lucky sods!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

Not to crap on anyone's parade, based on that video, to call it 'epic' may be slightly emphatic, but heck it's better than any storms I've seen in the UK this year...in fact, other than the 3rd/4th June plume, I wouldn't say I have any UK storms this year!!

Lucky sods!!

When youve seen nothing pretty much all year, what we had was brilliant! Probably one of the better storms in the UK for the whole of this year except for the weekend plume in early June.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, squally fronts, snow, frost, very mild if no snow or frost

maybe la-nina might bring us a wet spring 2011 this is known to happen, so more thundery next year i think!

The atlantic should be throwing us a deep low soon, can it throw us some thunderstorms in their to, ha.

Edited by nimbilus

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

When youve seen nothing pretty much all year, what we had was brilliant! Probably one of the better storms in the UK for the whole of this year except for the weekend plume in early June.

I wouldn't even go as far as to say that - the one solitary plume we had was naff by usual standards, well, the part I got of it anyway!

So disappointed by this year it is untrue! :lol:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

I wouldn't even go as far as to say that - the one solitary plume we had was naff by usual standards, well, the part I got of it anyway!

So disappointed by this year it is untrue! :cray:

Lol, it wasnt that great i admit either. It has been a rubbish year exluding the storm we had last week. Dsre i say it but can i t get any worse than this? :lol:

Posted

A still shot of Lightning from one of the videos i took of our storm last week which i forgot to share with you. :whistling:

post-6797-041961000 1285964623_thumb.png

Posted
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)

A few sferics showing in the Bristol Channel and just to the south of Eire.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Any weather will do.

I see some Cumulonimbus to my S/SW as we speak, also a couple of recent Sferics to my South. Heavy Thundery Showers is forecast for my area into the evening. Lets see if we can get a good hefty shower before the night is over.

Posted

That storm last Thursday was totally out of the blue (sorry for the bad pun!) but was still strong enough to keep going even during semi-darkness.

Meant to post these last week but I sort of forgot. (Personal family issues preside. Critically ill Uncle, Mum upset so until now taking a break for a however long sabbatical. )

After 16 years of waiting, (24th July 1994) finally some night lightning in Solihull /North Birmingham... WAYHAYYYY!! :rofl:

Night (or semi night) time lightning. Not much. But here we go...

post-8209-056823500 1286057999_thumb.jpg post-8209-025374000 1286058115_thumb.jpg post-8209-022978900 1286058357_thumb.jpg

And with that. And seeing Friday's Meto radar pic at 1pm looking like an massive explosion in a paint factory. Looks like Sunday could be too for much of England. Maybe Wales too?. (Oh dear for the Ryder Cup!) :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Any weather will do.

Yep, seen your big shower just to my NW, heading out to the Irish Sea. It looked very Squally.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: blizzards and frost.

some nice lookin anvil heads today. nice big thunder storm at lunch time here, plenty of flashes and bangs.

Looks like it's been a interesting day for northwestern Scotland, too, going by strike detector. Didn't look to be much surface instability being shown on the GFS within the rPm air mass for today, but looks like the cold upper temps (500mb temps of around -25C) and resulting steep lapse rates was sufficient for the development of a fair few thunderstorms. Looks like further storm potential tomorrow for the same regions as cold rPm air mass remains in place.

Im in the West of Scotland( West Dunbartonshire), and Ive just seen some lightening out to the West coast @ around 1930, It seemed a long way off though, anyone else see this??

Edited by Gibbmiester

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

Looks like it's been a interesting day for northwestern Scotland, too, going by strike detector. Didn't look to be much surface instability being shown on the GFS within the rPm air mass for today, but looks like the cold upper temps (500mb temps of around -25C) and resulting steep lapse rates was sufficient for the development of a fair few thunderstorms. Looks like further storm potential tomorrow for the same regions as cold rPm air mass remains in place.

Further on ahead and towards the end of the week, there looks to be a continued low risk for the chance of an isolated thunderstorm or two across far southwestern England during Friday, as the upper trough approaching to the west of the UK moves southeastward, while upper ridge builds from the east. Current MetO fax output has a waving cold front over Cornwall / Devon by around t+72, which may destabilise the warm, moist air mass in place across that region. Limiting factor at this stage is that the GFS is showing a fairly moderate-strong "cap" in place, so with little instability modelled, may not get much convection going at all. Still something to keep an eye for, though.

I'm quite happy with that synopsis, as I'm down in Brixham, Torbay as of friday morning visiting my old stomping ground with the family for the week...

Posted

Had two storms pass over today, the first giving some very heavy rain for about 30 mins or so!

Just looking at the infared on the met office, not far off the northwest coast, there seems to be something with what looks like an eye, and giving some rotation as you take it back to 1800hrs, and play it back through, you see it come together.........

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/satpics/latest_uk_ir.html

Posted

It will be something to watch. I'd expect scattered sharp showers falling from mid-high level cloud and just

the small chance of an elevated storm.

Also, did anyone in Dorset/Hampshire/Somerset/Wiltshire see the amazing swirling looking cloud as the warm front arrived

late this afternoon? It was high based but very black and made for an eerie dusk period. Had I not known better I'd have

thought we were in for a storm from the front.