Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Convective Weather General Discussion

Coast

Posted

Thats heading towards me and he might scrape it in oxford

There are a few sferics in the line heading just south of Oxford as that passed me almost overhead but the real action is definately in the body just south of Swindon now heading to Didcot.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Tornadoey

First proper thunderstorm of the year here for me. (At least UK wise :D) Been thundering for a good half an hour with a line of storms just south of me, Managed to avoid a soaking by probably a mile on the walk home as a massive thunderstorm erupted before my eyes and moved just south of my route home. The cloud base was very black and very low to the south side of town and down towards Filey! If you loop the radar, you'll see how fast it sprung up!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold/stormy

There are a few sferics in the line heading just south of Oxford as that passed me almost overhead but the real action is definately in the body just south of Swindon now heading to Didcot.

Yeah, swindon seems to be getting the brute force of it :D

Posted

First proper thunderstorm of the year here for me. (At least UK wise :D) Been thundering for a good half an hour with a line of storms just south of me, Managed to avoid a soaking by probably a mile on the walk home as a massive thunderstorm erupted before my eyes and moved just south of my route home. The cloud base was very black and very low to the south side of town and down towards Filey! If you loop the radar, you'll see how fast it sprung up!

i was on the beach this time last week lol.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Tornadoey

i was on the beach this time last week lol.

Defo not beach weather at the moment lol...

Posted

Thank you for your advice (haven't worked out how to quote on this forum yet, but I'm referring to all those whose responded to the Oxford question). I'll try and catch this exciting-looking storm down south!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

Beautiful skies here - a lot of TCu around as well as a pretty good towering Cb to my north, and also some nicely draped rain curtains. Am occasionally hearing some deep rumbles of thunder, too. Post 17:00 always sees convection take off on high risk convective storm days.

Have missed most of the action today but have heard some deep rumbles. Have to agree about the convection though. Full on very good up there. Summer like all round today and yesterday. :D

Posted
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)

Yes late aftenoon early evening seems good for the Midlands, but I suppose it ties in with the positioning of the low/ troughs etc.

Edited by Tonyh

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms

This is honestly the worse rain i've seen. The hail was battering the window and I thought for a moment it was going to break them. The hail was the size of marbles, really dangerous. Also thundering and lightning too, absolutely mental.

I hope someone else from Leicester is on here and can confirm it too.

Edited by andy_leics22

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, hot sunshine and snowstorms

Not had anything but rain despite the convective cloud! Has been thundering in Lichfield which is 5 miles ENE! Same as summer!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms

Just checked the radar... I must have got extremely lucky because a 100mm an hour cell just hit Leicester and it was only around 4-5 miles wide, very localised!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

It gets better... we now have a rainbow! :D And, it looks like some minor mammatus is developing on the back edge of that Cb to my NE.

To be fair the West Midlands (for most) hasnt done too bad this month particularly the West Midlands conurbation itself.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

best storm of year for me, frequent rumbles, lightning flashes and really heavy rain, kinda developed over me, now heading NE

massive rumble there loudest ive heard in ages,

Edited by mark forster 630

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms :D

Had a beautiful large cell right outside my window. and then it sadly decayed.:D I am now looking at a masssive Anvil stretching out towards Cheltenham.

Posted

Nice mammatus showing from the anvil to my NE towards Birmingham.

Posted
  • Location: North Kenton (Tyne-and-Wear)6miles east from newcastle airport
  • Location: North Kenton (Tyne-and-Wear)6miles east from newcastle airport

Evening everyone

had a nice storm around 1530 this afternoon, 9.8mm rain accumulated within half hour from 1530 to 1600hrs

At work now over in Consett, so im hoping for a few more rumbles later tongiht

Posted

beasty storms here in hull :D just done bloody rugby training in it now, few more firing up!! mackrel sky, unbelievable cloud formations, even a wall cloud!!

earth calling R0B! fancy a storm chase lol

Posted

Absolutely amazing sight from here! Beautiful anvil and explosive Cumulus surrounding the cell. Have saw a few flashes from it so far. Am gonna keep my eye on this one until it is died completely.

This looks like a beautiful cell, some rather frequent flashes of lightning embedded in the cloud.

Been looking at that one aswell from here in the Peak District, large opening in the clouds from the Anvil overhead shifting off to the East. Saw the Staffs Anvil about the same time weather09 was reporting. Couldn't see any Lightning (either due to distance of the fact it was exposed from the sunset), but I did wait a while after sunset and still nothing observed. Its now obscured by lower murk again now, but I noticed the overshoot and cell on its southern flank exploding upwards also.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, hot sunshine and snowstorms

It's frickin amazing matey! Mine is huge!!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

Very heavy rain here but no thunder or lightning despite the lightning detector showing sferics in this area.

Posted

Can confirm storm east of Wolverhampton, plenty of lightning and some very loud thunder... put it this way. ive felt the thump from the vibrations in my feet! and even heard some with my headphones on.