Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Convective Weather General Discussion

Coast

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold/stormy

Certainly does. smile.gif I'm slightly further north than you but that line of rain is heading in our direction, fingers crossed it holds out!!

It should hold up around 50 miles away i'd say from me :D

Posted

Not much on the radar heading for us, even just a few miles east in Stanley they are getting a lot more rain than Consett, so I'm looking forward to going home.

Hopefully something moving in from the west will explode into life for us!

the Edmundbyers Cross storm shield, is working flat out lol.

Posted

After thunderstorms in the form of showers over the next few hours, the NMM model wants to go with a more organized thundery theme, with some possible pronlonged rainfall. Looks like its going to be an interesting night for us guys around humberside.

post-12083-088523400 1285257570_thumb.pn

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm and stormy.

some big buggers heading into blunderside now :D

1 hour til rugby training, DOH!

Yer im watching them now,might take a trip out...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

Just had some rumbles of Thunder. Heavy showers on there way. :D

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Columus Bigus Convectivus

Yep, heard a good few rumbles of thunder and observed two flashes of lightning - the second flash was pretty bright and expecting an almighty bang, but was a fairly mild rumble lol. Just some on and off heavy rain coming down in huge drops. Sadly, no hail.

A couple of towers building to the W of me - with your name on... and looking a bit haily....

also watching that cell disapear to the NW of us- building all the time

I have just over 2000 images to check to see if i caught any of that lightening

from that cell (I'm encoraged now you've confirmed lightening. My camera was pointing youre way :D)

Well see what the M5 brings us later on

Posted

After thunderstorms in the form of showers over the next few hours, the NMM model wants to go with a more organized thundery theme, with some possible pronlonged rainfall. Looks like its going to be an interesting night for us guys around humberside.

post-12083-088523400 1285257570_thumb.pn

That rainfall on that chart will be the PPN that is currently in NE Scotland and as far as i understand, its dynamic rainfall and not the convective stuff so any thundery weather will be very limited to non existant.

The rainfall in Northern England is however convective but this should start to die out as the evening goes on.

Anyways, seems like the fun and games is over for this area, its been raining for a while but only light-moderate intensity with small rain drops. It was a good half an hour-45 mins whilst it lasted though.

Posted

Certainly does. smile.gif I'm slightly further north than you but that line of rain is heading in our direction, fingers crossed it holds out!!

Im further south but a very promising looking build up was taking place practically overhead. I would guess its heading roughly in the direction of west London

Posted

Plenty of sferics detected in the line currently stretching south of Swindon, any first hand reports from this? Im thinking of heading out into the traffic....

[/quote,

Yep! It just passed to the south of Swindon. Lightning was good , lots of CC and CG. Shame it was daytime, the light show would have been spectacular. Thunder was constant with hardly a quiet spell between but all distant.

Drat, just missed this one.

Edited by cartedj

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and heat, North Sea snow

Throwing it down again, but it is definitely feeling much cooler in that northerly breeze which is picking up.

Posted

Just had a confirmed lightning strike to the north of me. First one I've seen this year..

Posted

just rain :D:wallbash::angry:

It appeared to strike somewhere around the Drax area, probably hit the stacks at the power station.

Posted

That rainfall on that chart will be the PPN that is currently in NE Scotland and as far as i understand, its dynamic rainfall and not the convective stuff so any thundery weather will be very limited to non existant.

The rainfall in Northern England is however convective but this should start to die out as the evening goes on.

Anyways, seems like the fun and games is over for this area, its been raining for a while but only light-moderate intensity with small rain drops. It was a good half an hour-45 mins whilst it lasted though.

Maybe so, but the NMM model has mid and surface based cape values with a negative LI. Its not a certain with CAPE and LI values, but I would have thought the heaviest precipitation may give a show, may not be CG strikes but certainly enough of energy around at that time for elevated embeded storms.

post-12083-051117500 1285258215_thumb.pnpost-12083-090878300 1285258224_thumb.pn

Lewis

Posted

Hey everyone, any chance of a thunderstorm here in Oxford? Do you think I'd better stay put and wait for a storm or go chasing the one currently in the Swindon area?

Posted

Hey everyone, any chance of a thunderstorm here in Oxford? Do you think I'd better stay put and wait for a storm or go chasing the one currently in the Swindon area?

Theres a chance that the stuff just SW of Oxford is going to move towards Oxford.

Posted

It's passed here mate, looking at the radar your better of heading down the A34 to Didcot or Reading. It's a real biggie if it holds together.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold/stormy

It's passed here mate, looking at the radar your better of heading down the A34 to Didcot or Reading. It's a real biggie if it holds together.

Thats heading towards me and he might scrape it in oxford

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield

Once again the interesting weather has bypassed me but only by a whisker this time. Going to be some large variations for rainfall across Sheffield this month.