Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Rain September 2010

Rainy

Posted
  • Location: LANCS. 12 miles NE of Preston at the SW corner of the Bowland Fells. 550ft, 170m approx.
  • Location: LANCS. 12 miles NE of Preston at the SW corner of the Bowland Fells. 550ft, 170m approx.

Beat the wettest Sept rain record here this morning . We started daily recording here in 1968 and Sept that year with 251.0mm has held the record till now. Total so far for this Sept is 256.0mm, but there'll be more to add after today's showers. Last weekend with 95mm did the damage.

I wonder how anyone else is doing?

What I find interesting is that 10 of the calendar months now have their highest totals in the last 10 years. I wonder if anyone else has noticed that? Perhaps it's just a northwest experience!

Apologies if a Sept rain thread has already started. Can't see it, so mods please switch if necessary.

Posted

Beat the wettest Sept rain record here this morning . We started daily recording here in 1968 and Sept that year with 251.0mm has held the record till now. Total so far for this Sept is 256.0mm, but there'll be more to add after today's showers. Last weekend with 95mm did the damage.

What I find interesting is that 10 of the calendar months now have their highest totals in the last 10 years. I wonder if anyone else has noticed that? Perhaps it's just a northwest experience!

Apologies if a Sept rain thread has already started. Can't see it, so mods please switch if necessary.

thats bizarre. i know it sounds weird, but i dont see how you have managed to get this much rain so far.

Posted

Oddly enough, the Environment Agency is reporting that the NW region is experiencing a very dry year so far, with only about 60-70% of the cumulative LTA.

Must be a very localised phenomenon you're experiencing.

Posted

Yes, this record wet Sept here is an unusual phenomena I suppose. But it's the local talking point. Conveyor belt of 36hrs non stop rain from the SW last weekend, got no publicity and there were no weather warnings. The rivers were roaring. The countryside is trashed. Similar to the way Cumbria was hit last year. Relatives with gauges in Cumbria have had less rain than us so far this Sept, as also a friend with a gauge in Bolton.

Readings taken here daily for Met Office on same site with same manual gauge since 1968, plus an autographic and an electronic gauge. The latter still has to be downloaded by the Environment Agency.

As I mentioned earlier, the intriguing observation is the frequency of the record wet months in the last 10 years.

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme

Could well be a below average month here. Yup yet another one. 84% of average and not a lot of rain forecast until the end of the month looking at the 12 oz.

Posted

Could well be a below average month here. Yup yet another one. 84% of average and not a lot of rain forecast until the end of the month looking at the 12 oz.

Some moderate rain likely on Monday from a front moving in off the N Sea and prospects of more active fronts rolling in from the atlantic before the months end such ensure you see some healthy rain totals before the months end.

Here we have had nearly 7 inches, so another very wet month making up for the very dry first half. Its been a month punctuated by spells of moderate or heavy rain in short time periods rather than lots of showery days or days with light rain.

Posted

That sticks out like a sore thumb except for Capel Curig. We have only had 53mm here and half of that was weds. evening.

This of course doesn't represent the complete rainfall network.

http://www.met.readi...rugge/CURR.html

Edited by weather ship

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme

About 4mm now required to give us the first month this year with more than 100mm, very unusual to go so far into the year without the 100mm barrier being broken.

In an average year here, 5 months manage to exceed 100mm. In 2005 there was only 1 and in 2007 there were 7.

Overall the rainfall for the year is still well down on average and the remaining 3 months would need 133mm each to reach it.

Posted

We're up to 65.6mm of rain so far this month. The average September rainfall here (over the past ten years anyway) is 110mm, so looks like we're going to be below that, but it varies wildly from 198.5mm in 2000 to just 45mm in 2002 (which fell on 5 consecutive days, with the rest of the month being bone dry).

My running total for the year so far is now 498.4mm, compared to the average to this date of 817mm - just 60% of our average rainfall, although July did yield over 100mm.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme

4 mm today is now looking very likely the way it's raining at the moment

The average September rainfall over the past 10 years here is 86 mm, and 82 mm in the last 30 years.

The total for the year so far stands at 573.9 mm which is 79% of the average at this stage of the year. Incidentally I miscalculated the amount of rain needed to reach average by the end of the year, it would take 162 mm each month to reach it. Not impossible but very unlikely.

Posted

Being idle I haven't added rainfall so far this year. But well below average. After today's heavy rain which produced around 5.9mm we're still below average for the month.

Posted

We're up to 65.6mm of rain so far this month. The average September rainfall here (over the past ten years anyway) is 110mm, so looks like we're going to be below that, but it varies wildly from 198.5mm in 2000 to just 45mm in 2002 (which fell on 5 consecutive days, with the rest of the month being bone dry).

My running total for the year so far is now 498.4mm, compared to the average to this date of 817mm - just 60% of our average rainfall, although July did yield over 100mm.

We have had over 7 inches (175mm) of rain this month, shows what a contrast there has been in this part of the country between areas close to the Irish Sea and those about 30 miles from you like yourself. Many parts of Lancashire have also been very wet indicative of south westerly airstreams depositing most of their rain as they hit the coast and hills and dissapating markedly as they travel further north eastwards. Still I am quite surprised at how much less rain you have had compared to me despite this being a notoriously wet part of the country.

It has easily been the second wettest month of the year so far after July. October looks like it will get off to a very wet start but I feel it will be a temporary very wet spell..

Posted

We have had over 7 inches (175mm) of rain this month, shows what a contrast there has been in this part of the country between areas close to the Irish Sea and those about 30 miles from you like yourself. Many parts of Lancashire have also been very wet indicative of south westerly airstreams depositing most of their rain as they hit the coast and hills and dissapating markedly as they travel further north eastwards. Still I am quite surprised at how much less rain you have had compared to me despite this being a notoriously wet part of the country

I'm surprised too and would almost query my rain gauge were it not for someone nearby in Maulds Meaburn having had just 83mm this month. My dad's only had 64mm too, but then I never take much notice of his as it's so bloody windy where he lives, I reckon the rain finds it hard to land.

Posted

Blimey made it close to average. Although 50% of the rain fell in one day.

Posted

Sept total 274.mm.

Wettest Sept since we started daily readings here for MetO in 1968.

Also 6th wettest month in that time.

Jan 79.6

Feb 76.8

Mar 88.6

Apr 25.7

May 34.8

Jun 24.7

Jul 192.2

Aug 74.7

Sep 274.3 (average 131.0mm)

So 2010 total so far 871.4mm.

Grateful for those wonderful well below average first 6 months.