Cold?
IGNORED

Early Snow In The Past

stewfox

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and heatwave

I am sure there must be more but...

15 September 1782

Exceptionally early snow across north east Scotland became known as the 'the Black Aughty Twa' Scots for 82 sets the oat crops back weeks. Its Christmas before all the corn is cut

http://www.leopardma...athdon-fermtoun

They refer to '82' as we would to I guess refer to 47 or 63 or perhaps 2011 ??.

20 September 1919

Earliest wide spread snow falls (9 days earlier it had been 32c 90f)

21 September 1881

Lightening sleet snow recorded from a storm off Great Yarmouth

25 September 1885

Snow across London over high ground didn't settle (I cant find any internet reference to this)

OCTOBER

Im sure there are far more

7 October 1829

Snow lines in London

The Times reports how this sort of anticipation of Christmas contributes in some degree to make the inactivity of the money market more complete. !

October 29 1932

Wide spread sleet and snow

October 29 2008

I was High Wycombe looked like a picture post card

http://www.guardian..../weather-london

31 October 1972

Wide spread snow Scotland

Posted

I recall mid Oct 1992 delivered some quite low level snowfall to northern Britain. October 1993 also saw some snow showers to many northern parts.

Early Oct 1994 delivered snow showers to Aberdeen giving a temporary cover.

In more recent times late Oct 2000 saw many places seeing a wintry sleety snowy mix, mid-late Oct 2003 nearly delivered some low level snowfalls and of course there were the widespread snowfalls of late Oct 2008 - a very noteworthy event so early in the season. Indeed 2008 was an odd year for out of season snowfalls with the easter snowfalls and early april snowfalls on the back of a very mild snowless winter.

However for much of the country away from northern high ground, it is the month of November which sees the first recorded snowfalls of the season, for south western parts and coastal parts it is not usually until December. Snowfalls in lowland Britain in October are rare.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and heatwave

Significant snow fell on the hills of Scotland at the end of the first week of September 1976. Some pictures here: http://www.flickr.co...57614758658978/

Also, a storm in late August 1918 saw snow still lying a week later on the higher hills of Scotland.

I think you have mentioned the September 76 event resulted in lasting snow ?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

I recall mid Oct 1992 delivered some quite low level snowfall to northern Britain. October 1993 also saw some snow showers to many northern parts.

Early Oct 1994 delivered snow showers to Aberdeen giving a temporary cover.

In more recent times late Oct 2000 saw many places seeing a wintry sleety snowy mix, mid-late Oct 2003 nearly delivered some low level snowfalls and of course there were the widespread snowfalls of late Oct 2008 - a very noteworthy event so early in the season. Indeed 2008 was an odd year for out of season snowfalls with the easter snowfalls and early april snowfalls on the back of a very mild snowless winter.

However for much of the country away from northern high ground, it is the month of November which sees the first recorded snowfalls of the season, for south western parts and coastal parts it is not usually until December. Snowfalls in lowland Britain in October are rare.

A very good assessment. In addition to the events quoted above, there were also some wintry showers in northern Scotland (possibly locally further south too) in the third week of October 1998, while in October 2002, wintry showers fell in many parts of Scotland on the 18th and 19th, then on the 20th rain turned to sleet and snow over NW England, and showers were again wintry in places on the 23rd/24th, including south-east Scotland. I was in Lancaster on 20 October 2002 and it sleeted there that evening.

According to Weather Log, the northerly outbreak in October 1993 produced sleet or snow at some stage at Ringway (Manchester Airport), and the October 2000 event also produced some wet snow at Manchester and, remarkably, a 2cm snow cover at Lancaster. However, near the Tyne and Wear coast it fell as rain at a temperature of 3C due to a slight easterly drift off the warm North Sea.