Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

Winter 2010/2011 Part 3

reef

Posted

I'll be in the UK from mid-December to early January. Does anybody have any idea what's in store for that period, even in general terms? I heard that the cold snap is expected to last; will it deepen? Might there be more snow? (I know this is all a bit far-out for the models, hehe.)

• Replies 948
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Southerly tracking LPs, heavy snow. Also 25c and calm

I'll be in the UK from mid-December to early January. Does anybody have any idea what's in store for that period, even in general terms? I heard that the cold snap is expected to last; will it deepen? Might there be more snow? (I know this is all a bit far-out for the models, hehe.)

May I suggest you look at the LRFs on the main page? They are still the train of thought.

BFTP

Posted

On the other side of the coin- how about this!!!

http://www.independe...fe-2151007.html

There was a link to that page from the article you posted. I could barely believe what I saw- it's a rare treat to see a tabloid article highlighting many of the advantages of snowy weather (and to an extreme- even I wouldn't take some of the arguments as far as she has!)

Super read nearly had a tear in my eye

great link

Posted

May I suggest you look at the LRFs on the main page? They are still the train of thought.

BFTP

Found them, thanks. :) More settled weather after the 12th is obviously good for me in terms of traveling.

Found them, thanks. :) More settled weather after the 12th is obviously good for me in terms of traveling.

from the models i see it looks like a reload of cold air over uk and ireland but it seems to miss west ireland

am i reading them wrong any views from the experts on here

sum show -8 over uk yet +4c on we of ireland

Posted
  • Location: Queensbury, West Yorkshire. 327m (1,072ft) [top of road = 406m (1,332 ft)]
  • Location: Queensbury, West Yorkshire. 327m (1,072ft) [top of road = 406m (1,332 ft)]

Depends on where you are really, as ive said, at my house theres 15 inches of snow and 4 feet drifts and barely 5 miles down the road theres hardly an inch! The general rule is that the further north and east you go, the more likely you are to see cold and snow. And yes currently the models are showing a colder trend yet again into next week and possibly the week after! If this all happens then yes there will be snow in mid december! :D where are you travelling from btw? :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

As mentioned in a couple of threads I am expecting a milder interlude with a thaw around 11-13 December as an anticyclonic north-westerly regime takes charge, but there is at least a 50-50 chance of this being temporary with more cold snowy weather returning mid to late month.

Posted

Depends on where you are really, as ive said, at my house theres 15 inches of snow and 4 feet drifts and barely 5 miles down the road theres hardly an inch! The general rule is that the further north and east you go, the more likely you are to see cold and snow. And yes currently the models are showing a colder trend yet again into next week and possibly the week after! If this all happens then yes there will be snow in mid december! :D where are you travelling from btw? :)

Hi, thanks for the polite answer. :) I'm traveling from Winnipeg in central Canada to Coventry to spend Christmas and New Year with my partner's family. I'm really looking forward to it -- the last time I was in the UK was September '09, and only briefly. I'll be staying a whole 3 weeks this time around.

Posted

Hi, thanks for the polite answer. :) I'm traveling from Winnipeg in central Canada to Coventry to spend Christmas and New Year with my partner's family. I'm really looking forward to it -- the last time I was in the UK was September '09, and only briefly. I'll be staying a whole 3 weeks this time around.

Youre welcome :) ahh nice one, but coventry is generally mild because its fairly low lying. Trust me coventry will probably feel like the bahamas compared to winnipeg! There isnt really much in the way of long term snow fall in the west midlands either, e.g. I live in the pennines and theres lying snow from november through till march, and sometimes april. Coventry might only have lying snow for a few weeks with mild breaks inbetween. Hope ive helped! :) and have a good time when you come over! :D

Posted
Trust me coventry will probably feel like the bahamas compared to winnipeg!

Even Braemar will probably feel like the Bahamas compared to Winnipeg. It's only ever very cold or very, very cold in winter.

Eabie may as well get the suntan lotion out, no matter how cold the winter here will be. :D

Posted

Even Braemar will probably feel like the Bahamas compared to Winnipeg. It's only ever very cold or very, very cold in winter.

Eabie may as well get the suntan lotion out, no matter how cold the winter here will be. :D

Haha that is true! But its a different type of cold! Just like when i was in enontekio, finland. It was -22 outside and i was wearing a tshirt! No i wasnt going crazy it was just that the air is so dry it doesnt get to you! I think the reason it feels colder than it actually is in the uk is because of the moist air :)

Posted

Haha that is true! But its a different type of cold! Just like when i was in enontekio, finland. It was -22 outside and i was wearing a tshirt! No i wasnt going crazy it was just that the air is so dry it doesnt get to you! I think the reason it feels colder than it actually is in the uk is because of the moist air :)

I agree that dampness makes a big difference. I found that living in Southern Ontario, for example, that -10 C there felt colder than -10 does here. I haven't been to the UK in winter so I can't really say how it is there, but I know my partner is a very "warm person" (in some ways he handles the cold better than I do; he'll go out in a t-shirt when I want to wear a sweater) and he's been saying that it's "freezing" there lately. If he says that, I believe him. lol.

That said, though, we can have some truly miserably cold days, with wind chills occasionally feeling like -40 and once in a rare while even -50. It's nowhere near that cold right now (a balmy -11 C with no wind chill as I write this, lol), but if we happen to have a "cold snap" like that while I'm gone I'll be grateful to be in the UK. :p

Posted

I agree that dampness makes a big difference. I found that living in Southern Ontario, for example, that -10 C there felt colder than -10 does here. I haven't been to the UK in winter so I can't really say how it is there, but I know my partner is a very "warm person" (in some ways he handles the cold better than I do; he'll go out in a t-shirt when I want to wear a sweater) and he's been saying that it's "freezing" there lately. If he says that, I believe him. lol.

That said, though, we can have some truly miserably cold days, with wind chills occasionally feeling like -40 and once in a rare while even -50. It's nowhere near that cold right now (a balmy -11 C with no wind chill as I write this, lol), but if we happen to have a "cold snap" like that while I'm gone I'll be grateful to be in the UK. :p

Wind chills have a huge impact as well here, the other night i was walking the dog (carrying it so it didnt sink and get lost!) through a field in waist deep snow (occasionally chest deep!), the temperature was -13c but with a 35 mph northerly wind ive never felt as cold in my life! Ive been in almost -30c in finland but it just felt so much colder than that! But like i say i live in queensbury, its my own fault for moving here but i love it! :D

Posted

With December likely to come in below and probably well below average its going to take a decent warm up through Jan and Feb to reach even average and a 3rd below average winter in a row is looking very possible at this early stage...

Posted

In Britain, you're lucky that the freezing weather is sticking around for longer with you. In Ireland, we're losing it sooner. closedeyes.gif

It's expected to become milder by the end of the working week here. It's already somewhat less cold.

I was wondering if any of the weather boffins on here can tell me if a Big Freeze is back on the cards for both Britain & Ireland for mid to late Dec?

I heard elsewhere that freezing weather & snow were coming back around the 17th or 18th Dec. If true, this would be wonderful for Xmas.

Edited by fear sneachta

Posted

In Britain, you're lucky that the freezing weather is sticking around for longer with you. In Ireland, we're losing it sooner. closedeyes.gif

It's expected to become milder by the end of the working week here. It's already somewhat less cold.

I was wondering if any of the weather boffins on here can tell me if a Big Freeze is back on the cards for both Britain & Ireland for mid to late Dec?

I heard elsewhere that freezing weather & snow were coming back around the 17th or 18th Dec. If true, this would be wonderful for Xmas.

thats also what know is expected to happen, even for yorkshire its showing milder weather for the end of the coming week. but its also showing colder air returning during the week running up to christmas! :D

Posted

Wind chills have a huge impact as well here, the other night i was walking the dog (carrying it so it didnt sink and get lost!) through a field in waist deep snow (occasionally chest deep!), the temperature was -13c but with a 35 mph northerly wind ive never felt as cold in my life! Ive been in almost -30c in finland but it just felt so much colder than that! But like i say i live in queensbury, its my own fault for moving here but i love it! :D

I came home from the university campus by bus one evening during a blizzard. I just remember every time the back door of the bus opened, a flurry of snow would suddenly fly in... didn't exactly excite me at the prospect of going out in it. And for good reason! The mere 10 minutes or so it took me to walk from the bus stop back to my home, in a fairly open area, without any head covering except my flimsy hood, was sheer hell. I came in a bit teary eyed from how much my ears were hurting; my feet went numb as I got snow in my shoes; and there was even snow compacted against the side of my nose. lol.

Moral of the story: check the forecast and don't go out when there's a blizzard on the way. If you must, at least wear a hat and some boots. :p

Edited by Eabie

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, squally fronts, snow, frost, very mild if no snow or frost

Eabie, great posts really enjoy them! maybe a thread on your stories with the weather over their? ,ive always been amazed at how over countrys cope in severe cold and deep snow compared to over here! must say though the amount of snow some have had over here is incredible and i think most countrys would have problems, for example-up north a pub got snowed in with the cars in their carpark buried! and thats just the start of winter!

Edited by nimbilus

Posted

Eabie, great posts really enjoy them! maybe a thread on your stories with the weather over their? ,ive always been amazed at how over countrys cope in severe cold and deep snow compared to over here! must say though the amount of snow some have had over here is incredible and i think most countrys would have problems, for example-up north a pub got snowed in with the cars in their carpark buried! and thats just the start of winter!

Ah yes, didn't mean to make it too far off topic. Just happens with a bit of back-and-forth sometimes. I'll be moving to the UK (not sure just when yet, 'cause there've been some delays, but hopefully spring now). Then I'll only write about UK winters, hehe. :p

And yes, snow causes trouble *everywhere*, really. The amount of snow the UK's received (and the problems it's caused) has received news attention over here as well. I've noticed from the clips I've seen, though, that everybody seems to be really good-natured about it, which is a nice contrast from here, I must say. :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, squally fronts, snow, frost, very mild if no snow or frost

So were world news then? great! wonder what the New Yorker's think, coz i read they have snow cleared from side walks by special teams all day during the snows?! My street was not gritted/salted at all ,could hardly walk with the compacted snow and smooth ice, they forget about some people! really they dont they(the gov/council) save salt for main roads, makes sense but what about the old people who can't make it to the clearer paths out of the estate..

Posted
  • Location: Ashbourne,County Meath,about 6 miles northwest of dublin airport. 74m ASL
  • Weather Preferences: Cold weather - frost or snow
  • Location: Ashbourne,County Meath,about 6 miles northwest of dublin airport. 74m ASL

Ive noticed an interesting pattern in our winters since the winter of 85/86.

Winters 85/86, 90/91, 95/96, 2000/01, 2005/06,none of those winters would be considered mild some even below average. Each one of those winters was colder then the previous few before it,it seems that with this pattern we have been getting a colder winter then the previous few before it every 5 yrs since the winter 85/86,and the next winter in this pattern is 2010/11.

Winter 85/86 was colder then the winters 84/85,83/84,82/83. Winter 90/91 was colder then winters 89/90,88/89,87/88. Winter 95/96 was colder then the winters 94/95,93/94,92/93. Winter 2000/01 was colder then the winters 99/2000,98/99,97/98. Winter 2005/06 was colder then the winters 2004/05,2003/04,2002/03. So if this pattern continues this winter that would mean this winter being even colder then last yr and the way this winter has started i would not bet againest it.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal

So were world news then? great! wonder what the New Yorker's think, coz i read they have snow cleared from side walks by special teams all day during the snows?! My street was not gritted/salted at all ,could hardly walk with the compacted snow and smooth ice, they forget about some people! really they dont they(the gov/council) save salt for main roads, makes sense but what about the old people who can't make it to the clearer paths out of the estate..

I couldn't get my car out of the drive today, as the roads are gritted it seemed easier to drive, so we had walk the mile of ice rink to school. The way we go is a walkway, no road, so no gritted areas to safely walk on. Now my son is out of a buggy it makes it harder with nothing to grab onto! I don't know how on earth the elderly manage.

Posted

anyone have any idea what the weather will do after the milder spell at the end of the week as high pressure pushes in from the west..i hear it shant last very long before colder weather returns.

Posted

Ah yes, didn't mean to make it too far off topic. Just happens with a bit of back-and-forth sometimes. I'll be moving to the UK (not sure just when yet, 'cause there've been some delays, but hopefully spring now). Then I'll only write about UK winters, hehe. :p

And yes, snow causes trouble *everywhere*, really. The amount of snow the UK's received (and the problems it's caused) has received news attention over here as well. I've noticed from the clips I've seen, though, that everybody seems to be really good-natured about it, which is a nice contrast from here, I must say. :)

you say britain was in your news ,did your news focus on the rest of europe or just britain

Posted

you say britain was in your news ,did your news focus on the rest of europe or just britain

There was some commentary about the rest of Europe too, especially Poland. But the focus, as I recall, was mostly on Britain -- and when they talked about the rest of Europe, they mentioned Britain first. That's how I remember it anyway.