Posted

Even if we're 0.2c by the 25th and every day after that averaged 8.0c;

26th 0.5c

27th 0.8c

28th 1.0c

29th 1.3c

30th 1.5c

31st 1.7c

Still be 3.0c below on the cool 61-90 norm. 8.0c from Boxing day onwards will be far too high.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold

So, -0.8C in 1890 was the lowest CET, but what were the Lowest UK Mean Temperatures for December?

0.1C in 1981.

0.7C in 1890.

1.4C in 1976.

1.5C in 1927

1.7C in 1995.

Coldest UK December ever is well on track, Scotland and N England have had larger cold anomalies.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and heatwave

Not sure how the scoring works except for 10% penalty per day, but without the three marked late entries, I had a safe zone from 0.0 to 1.2 ... counting the late entries, that safe zone shrinks to 0.2 to 1.1.

I would have thought any entries more then a day late dont count ?

Far too early to see how its going to turn out. Anything beyond T96, even trends are too hard to call.

We should be back to 0 or below by T96

Posted

Here's a remarkable quirk

2006: 6.4

2007: 4.9

2008: 3.5

2009: 3.1

2010: sub 3.1C at least

A run of 5 consecutive Decembers with each being colder than the predecessor.

January and February (2007-10) have followed this trend, surely they both can't be colder than their predecessor.

Posted

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/uk/sw/bristol_forecast_weather.html

Given that Bristol is the bottom left "corner" of the Central England triangle, I thought this link might be interesting and add some grist to the mill!

Apart from Monday, which will reach 1c, the temperature is not set to rise above freezing for the next 5 days. Monday and Tuesday nights looking especially cold.

Also, Bristol being a large-ish city, the temperatures are that little bit higher than the more rural areas, so the December CET is going to be well low!

Could we be on for an ice "week" and how rare would that be?

Edited by noggin

Posted

Here's a remarkable quirk

2006: 6.4

2007: 4.9

2008: 3.5

2009: 3.1

2010: sub 3.1C at least

A run of 5 consecutive Decembers with each being colder than the predecessor.

January and February (2007-10) have followed this trend, surely they both can't be colder than their predecessor.

I'm not suggesting a cause and effect link here, but an interesting chart for sunspots for cycle 23, and we are not yet back to 2006 levels

post-9318-0-98091300-1292672945_thumb.gi

Quote from here "Cycle 21 started in June 1976 with a smoothed sunspot number of 12.2. Cycle 22 started in September 1986 at 12.3. Cycle 23 began in May 1996 with the monthly SSN at 8.0 and peaked in April 2000 at 120.8. Cycle 24 began in December 2008 with the monthly SSN at 1.7."

So the SSN for cycle 24 is MUCH lower than the previous 2 cycles, wonder what the CET's were for them....

Edited by NorthNorfolkWeather

Posted
Posted · Hidden by reef, December 18, 2010 - off topic
Hidden by reef, December 18, 2010 - off topic

O.k screw all the technical talk , if you want simple terms look out your windows in oxfordshrie *6inchs of snow at least on the ground in Didcot. It has not stoped snowing since 7am this morning!!! :-)

Posted

The very cold first half to December is going to have an impact on the overall CET for this winter.

Lets say December ends up with a CET of 2C, if January and February were as warm as they were in 1990 then the winter CET would be 5.3 (0.8C above the 1971-2000 average)

Posted

The very cold first half to December is going to have an impact on the overall CET for this winter.

Lets say December ends up with a CET of 2C, if January and February were as warm as they were in 1990 then the winter CET would be 5.3 (0.8C above the 1971-2000 average)

I would say 2 is nigh on ipossible.

And the cfs signals for January is again a cold month.

Posted

Could we be on for an ice "week" and how rare would that be?

They are not that uncommon, although in the last 25 years there has been an absense.

We may however be on for the coldest December week in CET history. Will be monitoring this over the next few days.

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield

I would say 2 is nigh on ipossible.

And the cfs signals for January is again a cold month.

CFS signal just before Dec started was mild after the first week and week later it return to mild. The present synoptic pattern seems to have found a problem with the programming so at the moment I would take it with a pinch of salt. At the moment it is showing cold but the last few runs I've seen have really dashed my belief in the model.

Pity we had a mild spell mid month as this going make it very hard for me to record the coldest ever Dec unless we get very cold nights thrown in as well.

Posted

CFS signal just before Dec started was mild after the first week and week later it return to mild. The present synoptic pattern seems to have found a problem with the programming so at the moment I would take it with a pinch of salt. At the moment it is showing cold but the last few runs I've seen have really dashed my belief in the model.

Pity we had a mild spell mid month as this going make it very hard for me to record the coldest ever Dec unless we get very cold nights thrown in as well.

Obviously it depends what happens post 24th but next few nights should be very cold in CET zone.

Def back in top 5 coldest CET by 24th.

Posted

The ensembles from the GFS by the way are rather hinting at this not being a quick breakdown, unlike the GFS 12z which has the cold air gone by the 27th and very mild for the last 5 days...UKMO not convinced by that either looking at its 12z run.

Either way almost certain this will be a top 3 coldest Decembers since 1900, it just depends on how low we go...

Posted

Here's that list again

Coldest Decembers on record

-0.8 1890

-0.5 1676

-0.3 1788

-0.3 1796

-0.3 1878

-0.2 1874

0.3 1784

0.3 1981

0.4 1844

0.5 1673

0.5 1678

0.5 1846

0.6 1870

0.7 1879

1.0 1680

1.1 1742

1.1 1791

1.2 1950

1.3 1799

1.3 1840

1.3 1853

1.4 1819

1.4 1829

1.5 1715

1.5 1798

1.5 1801

1.5 1860

1.6 1728

1.6 1822

1.6 1859

1.6 1933

1.7 1765

1.7 1812

1.8 1726

1.8 1830

1.8 1892

1.8 1962

1.9 1807

1.9 1886

1.9 1916

Posted

Here's that list again

Coldest Decembers on record

Here is the link for those who don't know. All years all months.

http://hadobs.metoff...t_mean_sort.txt

Edited by stewfox

Gosh - keeping an eye on some of these CET temps. At 21h30 Pershore -10C, Hawarden -11C, Manchester -8C

It's going to take a hammering tonight.

Out west Yeovilton still setting the pace with -13C, but the -11C at Exeter Airport is also pretty gob-smacking.

Crikey.

Edited by West was Best

This'll make you laugh...BBC predicted a LOW of -4c for Omagh Northern Ireland...currently sitting at -15.0c! Hahaha

Yes some serious under-estimates by the BBC/MetO given that Northern Ireland has had the coldest day ever recorded and some other records may go tonight.

I love Rob McElwee! He coolly announced -20C is not hard to achieve tonight and said 'This is the winter you've all been waiting for: a winter of a generation'.

The lowest ever recorded temperature in Northern Ireland looks to be under serious threat. The -17.5C at Magherally, County Down recorded on 01st January 1979 looks like it may tumble with Castlederg recording -16C at 22h00 in freezing fog and snowfields.

Elsewhere we now have a string of minus double digit readings running up the western heart of the CET zone. Both Shawbury and Pershore are reading -14C at 22h30.

Posted

I love Rob McElwee! He coolly announced -20C is not hard to achieve tonight and said 'This is the winter you've all been waiting for: a winter of a generation'.

Yes, saw that forecast, was a belter, and to say "Even as low as -20 could be quite widespread" Could only come from the best forecaster they have on TV.

I'm outside the CET region, but last night my weather station recorded -15.6, tonight is ahead of last night by about 1.5 degrees, so I think I'd struggle for -20 - but still might make -16. Last night was my all time record low.

Do we have expected averages for CET for the next couple of days, I know BFTV has been posting expected monthly averages, but some of the daily ones must be pretty impressive

Edited by NorthNorfolkWeather

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

I'm pretty much in the middle of the CET zone, -8.4c already, negative double figures seems inevitable.