Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

The 3 Counties And East Anglia Spring Weather Discussion

Cookie

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warmth, sun, blue sky, and the odd bit of snow on a weekend would do nicely

Not been on here since New Year, after all the fuss before christmas,when I wrote on here saying Jan, and looks llike Feb will be very average two months, with no snow and above normal temps, all the grief that I got saying didnt know what i was talking about and so on. Well now whos laughing!!!!!!!!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: anything extreme or intense !

next 14 days look like our normal winter, those who say we will get snow in this time must have drank a lot during the holiday!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I don't remember you saying that about Jan and Feb, or the being a fuss and you getting any grief.....

....but then I did have a lot to drink during the holidays, so I might have missed it :smiliz19:

Not been on here since New Year, after all the fuss before christmas,when I wrote on here saying Jan, and looks llike Feb will be very average two months, with no snow and above normal temps, all the grief that I got saying didnt know what i was talking about and so on. Well now whos laughing!!!!!!!!!

January temperatures have been slightly above average going by the CET ..

The current N-W UK tracker figure for January 2011 is: 4.5°C

(difference from average January CET is 0.3°C)

http://www.netweather.tv/index.cgi?action=cet;sess=

Ok, so let's see what February has to offer - I'm quite happy with the winter we had before Christmas there was plenty of cold and snow here then, maybe we will have to wait until the end of this year to see a return of those conditions.

Edited by MKsnowangel

I really don't understand why anyone should be laughing now as since the cold December we haven't been subject to mild sw winds and temeperatures up in the high teens for weeks after weeks. I admit it would be nice to have some more snow this winter (although I saw a few flakes on thursday) but to have a repeat of the synoptics in December would be very hard.

Having said that I am off to Whipsnade Zoo tomorrow and notice on the Met office web site it mentions the possibilty of a few snow flurries so maybe I will at least see another flake this winter whilst trying to keep warm looking at the animals in there nice warm buildings :lol:

Edited by Chris Mantle

Posted

Well next week is going to bring some much more interesting weather. Some fair fluctuations in temperatures look likely, with changing Pm, Tm and rPm airmasses, and the chances of wintry showers on Thursday in particular certainly cant be ruled out, along with heavy rainfall and changing conditions on other days. After this, the main long range models (GFS and ECM) diverge, GFS leads us into cold zonality as the Northern arm of the jet stream moves South, while ECM has us in similar weather experienced in the mild spell during mid-month, with Tm air giving mild wet days.

Edited by Ben_Cambs

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

I'll probably end up yawning quite a bit if the ECM verifies, since it has tropical maritime air and a Bartlett from around T+168 onwards and the high too far SE to bring drier sunnier weather to southern England- but UKMO/GFS would certainly give this region a mix of weather, and some pretty wild stuff as well.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Deep cold

Very quiet in here at the moment, dont give up hope you lot.

Lets see if I can spark some life into this forum :whistling:

Never say never

post-9329-0-47931100-1296682663_thumb.pn

Edited by shotski

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, Storms and epic cold snowy winters

Very quiet in here at the moment, dont give up hope you lot.

Lets see if I can spark some life into this forum :whistling:

Never say never

We just need that picture perfect model output to fall in the reliable, Got to admit SHOTSKI winter started sooo well and has at the moment turned into a boring stale mate scenario,but its that stale mate scenario which has got winter playing that classic childs game WHATS THE TIME MR WOLF. We know its coming and it will, JUST DONT KNOW WHEN. Anyway need to finish this thread off that started on the 22 december 2010.

COME ON WINTER .....PLEASE PLEASE HURRY YOUR A**E, UP FINISH WHAT YOU STARTED, WHATS THE MATTER TO SPICY FOR YAgirl_devil.gif

Edited by silver line

Posted

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1353073/Winter-storm-Map-shows-Northern-Hemisphere-covered-snow-ice.html

Shows how unlucky we are in western europe with regards to snowfall!!

We should be right amoungst this lot but no we are kept cosy and warm and snowless.

Sometimes i think the UK has the worst weather in the world sometimes!

Posted

That depends what you mean by 'worst weather', with headlines like these this week....

Millions of Americans have been digging themselves out after snow covered more than a third of the country.

A massive cyclone roaring towards Australia has strengthened to the most dangerous threat level, as officials are warning it could be the strongest storm in generations.

some places have seemed far worse off than us !

Posted

Whether we do have another cold spell via an E'ly later in the month depends on a lot of factors coming into place. Looking likely now that we will see an end of zonality by next Tuesday, with HP building in:

http://www.wetterzentrale.de/pics/Rukm1201.gif

Better chance of this giving sunny days and frosty nights than the "limpet" HP we have recently had. After that, it depends on orientation of HP, how far west the PV backs, the strength of the Northern arm of the Jet Stream and several other factors. I'd rate the chances of a cold spell with snow occuring around mid-month around 30%. Good chances it could all go bust in hours though!

Posted
Posted · Hidden by snow raven, February 3, 2011 - I thought you were going to come back as Keith Moon next Winter?
Hidden by snow raven, February 3, 2011 - I thought you were going to come back as Keith Moon next Winter?

Cold Spell Discussion; What cold spell?

Posted

Boyfriend phoned me from Reedham last night and said it was very blustery and he was thinking maybe some branches would come down.But it was still here at the time - around ten oclock.However, in the middle of the night I woke up because the wind was howling in the chimney and something was clattering in the wind outside.

Just been reading about how bad it was in the North of England last night, and unless i missed it, i don't think it was very well forecast by tv weather.

All is calm again here this morning.

Posted

All is calm again here this morning.

Hi jj

The very blustery night has turned into a very blustery day here - I know it's Friday but it feels more like a Winds day !

At least it's a mild zephyr - temperatures are well into double digits :o

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

Re. the above discussion, I think of the UK as having a changeable climate but all too often with a bias towards the more "mundane" types of weather. However, I also think it's quite possible for extreme weather to get too extreme for my liking, when it reaches a stage where the destruction & disruption outweighs the thrills.

My experiences suggest that I used to underestimate how much extreme weather I could find enjoyable (e.g. I assumed that I wouldn't enjoy a >19C CET month or a sub zero CET month, but July 2006 and December 2010 refuted this notion out of hand) but for instance the August 2003 heatwave in France got too much.

Perhaps again those bemoaning the lack of dramatic weather in the UK would thus best describe it with "mundane" as above.

It's not particularly mundane out there in Norwich at the moment- yes it's dull and dry but those gusts at Norwich Airport are repeatedly touching gale force. I've been making the most of the redeeming features of the windy weather, standing out on the nearest hilltop and feeling the power of the wind.

Posted

Hi jj

The very blustery night has turned into a very blustery day here - I know it's Friday but it feels more like a Winds day !

At least it's a mild zephyr - temperatures are well into double digits :o

Hi snowangel

Well,it was very still here all day but in the past hour or so the wind has been getting gradually stronger again and now it is again howling in the chimney, but as you say, i've just been outside and it wasn't very warm, but not very cold either. Im trying to catch the weather forecast on tv to see what the weekend is meant to be like if its still going to be windy.

Posted

It's certainly been dramatic here today !!

There is a genuine interest held by us Brits to read and talk about the weather, no matter where it's occurring, but the news has been so heavily dominated by weather stories for the last few months. We've had snow in the UK, snowstorms in the United States, floods and cyclones in Australia it seems wherever we look there's a weather oddity. They have become so frequent that the oddities are fast becoming the normality (cue the ‘it's the end of the world' 2012 thread). Weather broadcasts became the news every week in December most articles were all about our crises of the cold and this week has been no different - the only exception being that the freakish weather is being endured by Australians and Americans this time round. It's clear that our fascination with the weather is wider than just when it affects our own lives. Sadly here in the UK A motorist has been killed on a rural road as his car was struck by a tree uprooted by high winds, however thankfully there were no fatalities caused by tropical storm Yasi in Australia.

Posted

lol, so much for the tv weather forecast, i finally caught it at 10 oclock, it said it was going to be very windy here at 11 oclock.Not a blade of grass is stirring.

and it said windy with heavy rain for the weekend.

Posted

Advisories have been issued for East of England

East of England: severe weather warnings:

Severe Gales

Very strong southwesterly winds are expected today, with gusts 50 to 60 mph and as high as 70 mph over parts of mid and north Wales at first.

Issued at:

0629 Sat 5 Feb

East of England:

Cambridgeshire

Norfolk

Peterborough

Posted

If it follows the past coupleof days this wind wont get going till tonight.Its once again really calm outside, but again in the early hours i heard some very strong gusts of wind around the house, strong enough to knock the door knocker a few times.