Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

The 3 Counties And East Anglia Spring Weather Discussion

Cookie

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: anything extreme or intense !

Just wondering when this thread will be renamed?

That's so funny, I have been wondering the same thing about you :whistling:

post-10773-0-50239900-1298206281_thumb.j

May I suggest you come back as Keith Moon next season, you seem to like beating on the same old drum over and over again :D

I'm hoping for something similar to the snow we had in Easter 2008 at some point this Spring.

I was hopping the other day that we might get a chance to make Easter Snow Bunnies again - The Easter Egg hunt in the snow was fun that year too :lol:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

I love those spring "switch-arounds" that we occasionally get, starting with high pressure over the UK, and then low pressure transfers to Scandinavia, pressure rises to the NW and the back door opens for a northerly. We can shift dramatically from warm sunshine to sharp snow showers in the space of just a few days. The most recent of these occurred in the first week of April 2008, shortly after those Easter snowfalls, and it led into a notable 10 day spell of convective weather in Norwich with sleet/snow on three days, thunder on three, and hail on four.

Posted

I love those spring "switch-arounds" that we occasionally get, starting with high pressure over the UK, and then low pressure transfers to Scandinavia, pressure rises to the NW and the back door opens for a northerly. We can shift dramatically from warm sunshine to sharp snow showers in the space of just a few days. The most recent of these occurred in the first week of April 2008, shortly after those Easter snowfalls, and it led into a notable 10 day spell of convective weather in Norwich with sleet/snow on three days, thunder on three, and hail on four.

Agreed- the variation in March and April can be stunning, IMO these are the best months for variation in our weather. I can remember the weekend before the Easter snowfalls being very pleasant and warm- I believe 18C was achieved on the 14th of March 2008 and then 15C on the weekend before Easter (Easter day was on the 23rd that year). Temperature drops can also be very impressive during rain/wintry showers, falling by a few degrees in minutes, which is one of my favourite weather types.

I was hopping the other day that we might get a chance to make Easter Snow Bunnies again - The Easter Egg hunt in the snow was fun that year too :lol:

Certainly gave a nice feel to the occasion though the rapid thaw of the snow on that day was incredible- from a good 3 inches to a couple of patches of snow in just a few hours!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Deep cold

If this chart comes off it would be one day before my birthday, which would be nice :rofl: .

will be interesting to see what the meto do with their longrange outlook in the next couple of days.

in the meantime enjoy the warmth for the next few days 8)

post-9329-0-72911300-1298410849_thumb.pn

Posted

Well the regionals are closing within the next few days, not suprising considering this thread goes back to before Christmas! Though looking quite possible for a Northerly blast towards the end of next week, and is now indicated by the MetO 6-15 dayer, though looks likely it will only last a couple of days.

http://forum.netweather.tv/topic/65057-regional-discussion-threads-now-online/

Edited by Ben_Cambs

Posted

Well the regionals are closing within the next few days....

http://forum.netweat...ads-now-online/

That is so sad. I'll miss the place, I'll especially miss the lady who says that her boyfriend has called her from Reedham and told her it's cold. I'll also miss the lady from Milton Keynes, she's a hoot. While I'm posting I should just state that it's still not snowing here. As my alto ego would say

Posted

GFS, ECM and UKMO + the other "lesser" models now generally agreeing on a Northerly blast starting next Wednesday. Too far out to say anything else about it though!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

A northerly "toppler" at this time of year can deliver a fair amount of snow to Norwich, though there is always the caveat about a stronger sun. Still, I'd happily take a morning of sledging opportunities even if it did all disappear by mid-afternoon.

In the meantime, I was looking forward to a warm sunny day today- well, it's warm, but I don't know where the sun nicked off to!

Posted

In the meantime, I was looking forward to a warm sunny day today- well, it's warm, but I don't know where the sun nicked off to !

I do...it's here in MK and you're not having it back :p

Posted

Lovely day here, plenty of sunshine to be had and with only a light breeze it feels very pleasant and springlike outside. Currently 12.7C

Posted

I do...it's here in MK and you're not having it back :p

Sorry... looks like it's in more of a "sharing" mood this afternoon, scrumptiously sunny in Norwich now!

Posted

A very pleasant and sunny 14c here this afternoon :D

At this rate it will soon be time to jet wash the patio and get the Barbie out 8)

Posted

GFS ensembles this evening good for people who like cold and potentially maybe some snow (still too far out) with the mean getting down to -8C in regards to the 850 hPa temperatures for a potential Northerly next week. Now for this probably to go horribly wrong! :lol:

t850Cambridgeshire.png

Edited by Ben_Cambs

Posted

I'm going to stick my neck out here with a mad forecast, The Greeny high will make a return for the beggining of March breaking the lowest temp record for that month

in the uk.

Heavy snow for the southeast (except Cambridgeshire :lol: ) and the winter will go out with a Bang :bomb:

Posted this a few days back, didn't realise at the time that the record lowest temp for March was -21.1 in 1947 :shok:

just shows its never to late for snow.

Noticed towards the end of the GFS the ridge in the atlantic moves closer to Greenland :good::cold:

Posted

Is there really the chance of snow tommorow for the region?

ukprec.pngprectypeuktopo.png

I know it wouldnt be much but is there even a chance. doesnt seem cold enough to me//

Edited by Snow_Lover123

Posted

Who said it’s supposed to be the first day of Spring tomorrow ?

I’m not sure ‘Mother Nature’ hasn’t gotten her own ideas about that, at the moment she seems to be busy having some ‘issues’ and has put it on hold while she gets anger management counselling. It’s freezing here right now it’s only 3.7c and there has been bits of sleet in the rain several times today !

However before the winter threads close I just wanted to say a personal thank you to all of you who have contributed here in the 3C & EA thread this winter. I’ve really enjoyed being a Regional Host, generally in this thread everyone has been very well behaved so I haven’t really had that much to do !

It’s such a shame the second half of winter been a big let down and we haven’t seen snow since before Christmas, especially as the winter started off so well, but we have had some great winter days.... here are a few of my ‘best bits’ of winter 2010/11……

post-10773-0-05409000-1298907624_thumb.j

post-10773-0-31124900-1298907782_thumb.j

post-10773-0-03390500-1298907953_thumb.j

There are plenty of other threads including ‘banter’ that will be going all year, so hopefully I will still see you around in some of them, and you never know we might get some cracking thunderstorms this summer and hopefully plenty of snow to look forward to in winter 2011/12

MKsnowangel :angel:

post-10773-0-47089700-1298907657_thumb.j

Edited by MKsnowangel

Posted

A very raw day here, wet with a little sleet at times. Currently only 2.4C, very unpleasant outside.

Quick model output summary:

HP will take charge, though it is not in the right position for sunshine, with a cold E/NE flow over the next few days, temperatures will probably only max out to 5-6C and maybe slightly below freezing at night in places. Maybe a better chance towards the weekend for some sunshine. Such a shame though as last week, HP was progged by the models to sit west of the UK which would of sent a Northerly blast to the UK, this has been revised Eastwards since Friday sending the cold blast into Eastern Europe:

UKMO at T+144: http://www.wetterzentrale.de/pics/Rukm1441.gif

Maybe later into March HP could sit in a more favourable position for us to see one final blast of winter, but this High could sit around for quite a while.

Well in all, this winter was quite frustrating as I missed out on the heaviest snowfall (back on 18th December) and back in November we sat in a dry slot while places North and South of the region got pummeled by snow! December was fantastic for cold though with the two hoar/rime frosts making for some spectacular scenery. Though January and February have been thoroughly disappointing with only one day of snow falling and only a few air frosts. February 2009 is still the cold spell to beat for here.

I will still be posting in the main weather discussion area and model output discussion looking for the first warm spells thoroughout the Spring and Summer so maybe I will see some of you on there. Who knows, winter may still give us one final blast! If not, see you on this thread come November! B)

Posted

I enjoy the snow and cold but working on a roof today with freezing rain in my face at 3 degrees was no fun :cold:

For me this winter (first half) was one I will remember for a very long time, I cant remember in my lifetime temperatures

so low for so long.

In a way it was a blessing we had a mild second half of winter as the wildlife was really starting to suffer and another

freeze could have been a disaster, its good now to see the flowers coming up and the birds starting to build their nests.

Have a good summer everyone and see you all next year :cray:

Shotski

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, Storms and epic cold snowy winters

Oh well peeps, It is a shame Jan and Feb did not deliverwallbash.gif,But as for Nov and Dec-------WOW yahoo.gif. So i guess its goodbye for now and see you all in winter 2011/2012 just goes to show though that sometimes its a really hard call and we really never know. Anyway take care all enjoy summer Not even going to say that word. H- -tw- -e.

Its been fun.clap.gif