Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

The 3 Counties And East Anglia Spring Weather Discussion

Cookie

Posted

I really wouldn't expect much snow from now on in...it looks like staying over the near continent. The 18z NAE also suggests this: http://expert.weatheronline.co.uk/daten/proficharts/en/nae/2010/12/22/basis18/ukuk/rsum/10122418_2218.gif

Forgive me for asking, but are you from Beccles? I ask because Beccles isn't really on the coast, and it certainly isn't in Norfolk as your location says! :smiliz19:

It's close enough to the coast in this context and our post town is Holt but we're 6 miles away so his postal town could be Beccles yet from a village in the surrounding area which could I suppose be over the border into Norfolk - seen enough straw clutching on here the past few days with snow wishes so thought what the hell... lol

Posted

my fiance is a lorry driver working nights and he has just text to say that they have had heavy snow about 6 inches fallen in Bedford and that they have had drivers stranded and lorries not able to get in..

I have only just come on here tonight and not had chance to read through so apologies now if I am repeating things already said.

That said I was under the impression from what I heard last night and this morning that it was all further north

and the first thing I have done is look on the radar and it shows nothing for this area of the country at all going back over last few hours

I'm in Bedford and there wasn't any snow last night that I saw here? (and just a few flakes today) Just the 7 inches from SAturday gradually melting away.

However there was a lot of snow earlier today in other parts of Bedfordshire, also Northants and Milton Keynes close by - so probably something to do with that.

Edited by weatherwise

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything and everything

I'm in Bedford and there wasn't any snow last night that I saw here? (and just a few flakes today) Just the 7 inches from SAturday gradually melting away.

However there was a lot of snow earlier today in other parts of Bedfordshire, also Northants and Milton Keynes close by - so probably something to do with that.

Ahh thanks weatherwise. It must be milton keynes area then as that is very near one of their hubs.

Posted

Just a little hope for you who haven't seen anything.

http://www.wetterzentrale.de/pics/Rmgfs183.gif

Now it might not look much but when it comes to convection the models are generally rather poor. Now near the coast I would expect rain or sleet but further inland would be snow if they make it that far.

Just add do not be misled by the post above. It isn't turning warmer if anything with light winds and HP over xmas we shall see a return of very cold nights and sub zero days for those inland.

Edited by THE EYE IN THE SKY

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: anything extreme or intense !

A421 Kingston, Milton Keynes, both ways between A5130 Newport Road and M1 J13

A421 Buckinghamshire - A421 closed and queueing traffic in both directions between Kingston Roundabout in Kingston, Milton Keynes and the M1 J13 junction in Brogborough, because of a jackknifed lorry and an oil spillage.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: anything extreme or intense !

Warming up is on its way, although it never got that cold here. Lets see if the warm brigade take over this forum, or it just melts away like the snow.

Oh please, less of the mild rampings, it's very misleading - you've been on the Model Discussion thread so you know it's not going to Warm up - it might be less cold for a while but I doubt that will last for long !!

This is Icebergs post from the previous Model thread:

"The Trends on the models this morning are for less Atlantic and more HP.

ECM is a perfect example of this, as it slowly reduces the atlantic influence with each run, now I would classify the Atlantic as blocked looking at the 00Z ECM(i.e nothing below 1000mb makes it east of Iceland)

This general theme also seems supported by the other models.

GFS is the most progressive wrt how far east it pushes the post boxing day front, UKMET less so hence the prediction of moderate snow for western areas for boxing day night by the Met Office.

All models are rising pressure further into the Atlantic in the longer time frame coupled with a clear signal for another Greenland high to form as we enter January due to a high moving from N.America I think we will still various linkages etc in the models over the next 4 days.

By Boxing Day the models will likely be starting to firm up on how the next cold shot will arrive, for many areas though there is no sign of anything even remotely mild so snow is likely to hang around for a good many days yet. "

Posted

Just had a look on the 'rain today' radar, and they show quite alot of shower activity falling as snow, being blown in on the fresh wind. They show from a line from the Norfolk coast moving south westwards heading well inland. Any comments on this, as I thought today was going to be on the whole a dry but cold day due to the wind

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, Storms and epic cold snowy winters

Oh please, less of the mild rampings, it's very misleading - you've been on the Model Discussion thread so you know it's not going to Warm up - it might be less cold for a while but I doubt that will last for long !!

This is Icebergs post from the previous Model thread:

"The Trends on the models this morning are for less Atlantic and more HP.

ECM is a perfect example of this, as it slowly reduces the atlantic influence with each run, now I would classify the Atlantic as blocked looking at the 00Z ECM(i.e nothing below 1000mb makes it east of Iceland)

This general theme also seems supported by the other models.

GFS is the most progressive wrt how far east it pushes the post boxing day front, UKMET less so hence the prediction of moderate snow for western areas for boxing day night by the Met Office.

All models are rising pressure further into the Atlantic in the longer time frame coupled with a clear signal for another Greenland high to form as we enter January due to a high moving from N.America I think we will still various linkages etc in the models over the next 4 days.

By Boxing Day the models will likely be starting to firm up on how the next cold shot will arrive, for many areas though there is no sign of anything even remotely mild so snow is likely to hang around for a good many days yet. "

Hows you MK,Completey agree...Interseting times ahead possibly, Oh well last day at work today still got a good covering, so atleast it will be all white for xmas, But we never know may get a bit more.:smiliz19:

Posted

I was slightly surprised when I checked the minimum temperature for last night; -13.1c at 00:36. Didn't expect that seeing as it was about -3c at 22:30.

Currently 0.3c with some high cloud around so looks like things might thaw out a bit today.

Posted

I can't help noticing the large amount of convection that is kicking off all along the east coast and that there are streamers setting up!!

One is already as far inland as Nottingham and another just south of the wash is stretching a good way too.

Now I've watched the national and local weather and the east coast is supposed to stay dry today????

Do you think we are about to get caught out again?

viewimageCA1TTVFB23rddec.png

Posted

Just want to quickly post the Met O forecast for tomorrow across our region.

Snow showers are likely to quickly reach Cambridgeshire and then move east across Norfolk, possibly Suffolk. The showers may produce further accumulations of 2 perhaps 5cm in places. Maximum temperature 2 °C.

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/uk/ee/ee_forecast_weather.html

Posted

I was slightly surprised when I checked the minimum temperature for last night; -13.1c at 00:36. Didn't expect that seeing as it was about -3c at 22:30.

Currently 0.3c with some high cloud around so looks like things might thaw out a bit today.

I would guess you have a dodgy thermometer. It didn't get below -4 anywhere in the region last night http://www.met.reading.ac.uk/~brugge/amextremes.html

Posted

Snow showers are likely to quickly reach Cambridgeshire and then move east across Norfolk, possibly Suffolk. The showers may produce further accumulations of 2 perhaps 5cm in places. Maximum temperature 2 °C.

http://www.metoffice...st_weather.html

Cheers Dave, could be fun again!

Paul

Posted

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/uk/ee/ee_forecast_weather.html

To which i say 'LOL'. Wait and see, if it snows on Christmas Eve as i go to bed and there is a dusting, i'm happy, but its unlikely these parts are going to see any genuine accumulations worth writing about until the next proper breakdown.