Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

The 3 Counties And East Anglia Spring Weather Discussion

Cookie

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: anything extreme or intense !

Widespread Icy Roads & Heavy Snow Mon 27 Dec

There will be a continuing risk of widespread ice, affecting untreated surfaces in particular, as the cold weather continues.

In addition, there is a continued risk of snow, heavy at times and accompanied by drifting in strong winds spreading erratically eastwards through the day. This snow may turn to rain in some western areas.

Issued at: 1102 Sat 25 Dec

East of England:

Bedfordshire

Cambridgeshire

Essex

Hertfordshire

Luton

Norfolk

Peterborough

Southend-on-Sea

Suffolk

Thurrock

London & South East England:

Buckinghamshire

Milton Keynes

Posted

It snowed in Peterborough (PE2) at 4:47 pm this afternoon - so a genuine White Christmas for the snow mecca that is Peterborough ...... YAY !

Just looked at the radar and noticed some showers passed over Peterborough. I can't believe I missed these as I was too busy stuffing my face.

Posted

Just looked at the radar and noticed some showers passed over Peterborough. I can't believe I missed these as I was too busy stuffing my face.

I noticed that too, they then headed down towards Northampton and died a death :smiliz19:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, Storms and epic cold snowy winters

smiliz19.gif Happy xmas D, read your post in the mod thread, Must say if that pulls of next week new year will definitely go of with a bang. Very very interesting times ahead.

Merry xmas to all aswell.

SLsmiliz34.gif

Posted

A lovely Christmas Day here; no snow from the sky but plenty on the ground with a top temp of 0.4c. Very cold at the moment, -6.8c but a hard frost where there's not snow.

Confusing picture next week, not helped by the fact Peter Gibbs last night said 'we might be able to start talking about mild again'. From what I can see the temperature in this region is unlikely to be above 5/6c next Wednesday and the true mildness is over the southwest and Ireland. Then it's cold and frosty again by next weekend...

A lovely Christmas Day here; no snow from the sky but plenty on the ground with a top temp of 0.4c. Very cold at the moment, -6.8c but a hard frost where there's not snow.

Confusing picture next week, not helped by the fact Peter Gibbs last night said 'we might be able to start talking about mild again'. From what I can see the temperature in this region is unlikely to be above 5/6c next Wednesday and the true mildness is over the southwest and Ireland. Then it's cold and frosty again by next weekend...

Having looked at this mornings Met Office forecast for East Anglia it gives the following forecast for Tuesday to Thursday, where as yesterday it was talking about a thaw.

Outlook for Tuesday to Thursday:

Rain, sleet or snow is forecast for Tuesday, but clearing later. Cold southerly winds. Mainly dry on Wednesday, then dry, but colder again on Thursday as winds turn easterly.

Updated: 0241 on Sun 26 Dec 2010

I must go and have a look at the Fax Chart.

It will be interesting to see the day 6 to 15 forecast when issued later.

Chris

PS Yes you can see the front on Thursday (Occ) moving back westward, would be interesting to see the chart after that.

Edited by Chris Mantle

Posted

It snowed in Peterborough (PE2) at 4:47 pm this afternoon - so a genuine White Christmas for the snow mecca that is Peterborough ...... YAY !

Oooh, I missed it too!! hahahaahaha xxx

Posted

For those not reading the model thread there has been a big upgrade in snow potential for tommorow night. According the the latest NAE some areas could see up to 15cm. This is an evolving situation and as TEITS has alluded to, the front could stall over our area, and with winds from the SE ahead of the front it could stay as wet snow through Tuesday.

The most likely is scenario is still snow overnight turning to rain on Tues then a slow thaw, but lots of options still on the table!

Here is the latest NAE for 12am to 6am on Tuesday http://www.weatheronline.co.uk/cgi-bin/expertcharts?LANG=en&MENU=0000000000&CONT=ukuk&MODELL=nae&MODELLTYP=1&BASE=201012260600&VAR=prty&HH=48&ZOOM=0&ARCHIV=0&WMO=&PERIOD=

Edited by Tim Bland

Posted

It's a shame that I'm going to miss potentially the best snow event for Cambridge so far this winter :wallbash:. Oh well. -20C and sunshine here I come...

Posted

For those not reading the model thread there has been a big upgrade in snow potential for tommorow night. According the the latest NAE some areas could see up to 15cm. This is an evolving situation and as TEITS has alluded to, the front could stall over our area, and with winds from the SE ahead of the front it could stay as wet snow through Tuesday.

The most likely is scenario is still snow overnight turning to rain on Tues then a slow thaw, but lots of options still on the table!

Here is the latest NAE for 12am to 6am on Tuesday http://www.weatheronline.co.uk/cgi-bin/expertcharts?LANG=en&MENU=0000000000&CONT=ukuk&MODELL=nae&MODELLTYP=1&BASE=201012260600&VAR=prty&HH=48&ZOOM=0&ARCHIV=0&WMO=&PERIOD=

Be prepared warning just issued for our area!

A band of heavy snow will spread northeastwards during Tuesday morning, giving accumulations of 5 to 10cm widely, with 15cm possible locally, mainly over higher ground.

This will fall onto freezing surfaces, giving the additional risk of widespread ice.

Disruption to transport networks is possible.

Issued at: 1100 Sun 26 Dec

Posted

Be prepared warning just issued for our area!

A band of heavy snow will spread northeastwards during Tuesday morning, giving accumulations of 5 to 10cm widely, with 15cm possible locally, mainly over higher ground.

This will fall onto freezing surfaces, giving the additional risk of widespread ice.

Disruption to transport networks is possible.

Issued at: 1100 Sun 26 Dec

Thanks Tim, just got that ! Nice to see some orange back on the map :good:

Early warnings of severe or extreme weather

These are issued when the Met Office has 60% or greater confidence that severe weather is expected in the next few days

East of England:

60% Bedfordshire

60% Cambridgeshire

60% Hertfordshire

60% Luton

60% Peterborough

London & South East England:

60% Buckinghamshire

60% Milton Keynes

60% Oxfordshire

Posted

Hey all, I've been away from the forum over the past couple of days due to Christmas, so I'm pleased to see that when I come back online there looks to be a interesting snowy breakdown tomorrow/Tuesday (Even though only stays mild for a couple of days!) Had a lovely day up in MK yesterday where the snow is quite a bit deeper, it was great and there were very large icicles everywhere; but having said that there is still quite a bit of snow on the ground here in St Albans.

Good to see the MetO onboard with the chance of snow tomorrow.

Edited by saint

Posted

Hey all, I've been away from the forum over the past couple of days due to Christmas, so I'm pleased to see that when I come back online there looks to be a interesting snowy breakdown tomorrow/Tuesday (Even though only stays mild for a couple of days!) Had a lovely day up in MK yesterday where the snow is quite a bit deeper, it was great and there were very large icicles everywhere; but having said that there is still quite a bit of snow on the ground here in St Albans.

Good to see the MetO onboard with the chance of snow tomorrow.

http://www.metoffice...t_warnings.html

dont count your chickens of going mild after you look at that lol

Posted

Bah stopped short of going orange here I expect it won't make it this far, I reckon TEITS has been up to something front stalling over Peterborough - lol Good luck to you all!!

Posted

Bah stopped short of going orange here I expect it won't make it this far, I reckon TEITS has been up to something front stalling over Peterborough - lol Good luck to you all!!

Doesn't look like it will make it this far over either or if it does it will be rain.However Reedham looks to be in the firing line and boyfriend is going to be working eight days on the trot over there from tomorrow night so he is going to be snowed on methinks!

Posted

Had a lovely day up in MK yesterday where the snow is quite a bit deeper, it was great and there were very large icicles everywhere;

Pleased to hear you had a good Christmas and enjoyed the MK snow and ice :smiliz19:

Not much sign of any thaw here yet apart from the icicles hanging from my conservatory guttering, -2 here at the moment,

my neighbour has been out in his hot tub for the last hour :smiliz23:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Blizzards,Hot Thundery nights.

The monday night / tues possible snow could be great for our region ,but im not getting my hopes up till it actually snows.These stalling front situations are tricky and do tend to trend back west up to the event.Who remembers Feb 1996 when all the forecasts had the front stalling over the eastern half of the uk ,in the end it just about reached northants and all we could do was watch wales and the west mids up to lake district getting hammered by 2 days of heavy snow :aggressive:

Posted

I will make sure to take pictures from snow-covered Europe and then hopefully some breath-taking shots when I'm actually in the Alps! Have a Happy New Year to you all, I hope everyone gets a decent amount of snowfall from Monday night- Tuesday's possible event!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Deep cold

I will make sure to take pictures from snow-covered Europe and then hopefully some breath-taking shots when I'm actually in the Alps! Have a Happy New Year to you all, I hope everyone gets a decent amount of snowfall from Monday night- Tuesday's possible event!

Hi Ben, I to am off to the Alps (Thollon near lake Geneva) ive had reports that last week was +10 and all the snow in

the village melted :smiliz23: how do you think tuesday mornings snow will pan out for our area, I leave on Monday so will

miss it, dam!!!!!!!!!!