Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

The 3 Counties And East Anglia Spring Weather Discussion

Cookie

Posted

Outlook for Tuesday to Thursday:

Some snow is forecast for Tuesday, but turning to rain or sleet later. Cold southerly winds. Some showers on Wednesday, then drier, but slightly colder again on Thursday.

Updated: 1512 on Sun 26 Dec 2010

Posted

Back from a few days break - still very snowy around Bedford, took some pics here - http://www.flickr.com/photos/57211569@N05/sets/72157625668763410/

We also got a flurry on the big day itself :smiliz34:

The first new (12z) NAE chart is out - precip accumulation taking us up to midday Tuesday (28th), >10mm in some places - of course if thats all snow we are looking at 10cm - http://expert.weatheronline.co.uk/daten/proficharts/en/nae/2010/12/26/basis12/ukuk/rsum/10122812_2612.gif - Could be rain though, stand by for the precip type charts to update, will let you know...

Edited by weatherwise

Posted

Hi Ben, I to am off to the Alps (Thollon near lake Geneva) ive had reports that last week was +10 and all the snow in

the village melted :smiliz23: how do you think tuesday mornings snow will pan out for our area, I leave on Monday so will

miss it, dam!!!!!!!!!!

I don't really know at the moment, it could pan out a lot differently than is currently being progged. As for Europe, colder conditions returned earlier this week but it looks very cold and dry due to HP building. I can't see snow staying around for long if it does fall on Monday- Tuesday here. Have a good holiday and I hope you have a safe journey!

Edited by Ben_Cambs

Posted

Hi guys and gals. Hope everyone had a good day yesterday.

Can I ask with the spell of precip anticipated, do we know when this is likely to start? Will it be tomorrow evening or are we talking Tuesday? That's if this rain/sleet/snow event makes it here at all. My sister is planning a party in Ware tomorrow and she was considering cancelling as there are lots of poorly people in the family at the moment. I thought the weather may sway her decision one way or the other.

Posted

Hi guys and gals. Hope everyone had a good day yesterday.

Can I ask with the spell of precip anticipated, do we know when this is likely to start? Will it be tomorrow evening or are we talking Tuesday? That's if this rain/sleet/snow event makes it here at all. My sister is planning a party in Ware tomorrow and she was considering cancelling as there are lots of poorly people in the family at the moment. I thought the weather may sway her decision one way or the other.

Hiya!

Its looking like early Tuesday into the middle of the day, i.e. the pinks on these maps

midnight - 6am Tuesday http://expert.weatheronline.co.uk/daten/proficharts/en/nae/2010/12/26/basis12/ukuk/prty/10122806_2612.gif

6am - midday Tuesday - http://expert.weatheronline.co.uk/daten/proficharts/en/nae/2010/12/26/basis12/ukuk/prty/10122812_2612.gif

Posted

Hiya!

Its looking like early Tuesday into the middle of the day, i.e. the pinks on these maps

midnight - 6am Tuesday http://expert.weatheronline.co.uk/daten/proficharts/en/nae/2010/12/26/basis12/ukuk/prty/10122806_2612.gif

6am - midday Tuesday - http://expert.weatheronline.co.uk/daten/proficharts/en/nae/2010/12/26/basis12/ukuk/prty/10122812_2612.gif

Thanks Weatherwise. That's a big help. Did you have a good day yesterday? Love your pics of Bedford, it's looking lovely out there still. :)

Posted

Hi everyone and happy christmas.

I know it maybe the wrong thread but my weather station has given up, has anyone got any suggestions on a new one I can buy?

Edited by frosty the snowman

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Surprises

Hi everyone and happy christmas.

I know it maybe the wrong thread but my weather station has given up, has anyone got any suggestions on a new one I can buy?

So Santa didn't get your letter eh (-:

I have a WS 2350 wireless (tho presently wired due to interference) uploads to PC if you want it to

suggest you have a peep here:

http://www.weathershop.co.uk/

or:

this thread here on NW

depends on what you want to spend etc plenty to choose from

Looking forwward to see if the warm (er) or cold will prevail on Tuesday :smiliz19:

Posted

Wooh! Did anyone just see the Countryfile Weather forcast? Heavy snow right over me for tomorrow night and Tuesday morning!

I do know that's at odds with what others are saying TEITS says west of the region is more likely to get it if I understand his posts correctly.

Posted

Thanks Weatherwise. That's a big help. Did you have a good day yesterday? Love your pics of Bedford, it's looking lovely out there still. :)

Hiya! Yes, a great day thanks. Hope you had a good time - and enjoy the rest of the festive period, of course. Thanks for the comments about the pics. I have mixed feelings about the upcoming snow, as have family coming over this week.

Incidentally, just been looking at some other models (i.e. GFS, UMO, ECM) and I think by half way through Tuesday (latest) the upper air is too warm for snow (>0C) so we could be looking at freezing rain, or rain falling on to frozen surfaces. The other possibility (and in my eyes, the most likely) is no (or little) precipitation reaching us. Noticed the TV forecasts have 9 degrees for our part of the world on Wednesday - crikey!

Posted

Hiya! Yes, a great day thanks. Hope you had a good time - and enjoy the rest of the festive period, of course. Thanks for the comments about the pics. I have mixed feelings about the upcoming snow, as have family coming over this week.

Incidentally, just been looking at some other models (i.e. GFS, UMO, ECM) and I think by half way through Tuesday (latest) the upper air is too warm for snow (>0C) so we could be looking at freezing rain, or rain falling on to frozen surfaces. The other possibility (and in my eyes, the most likely) is no (or little) precipitation reaching us. Noticed the TV forecasts have 9 degrees for our part of the world on Wednesday - crikey!

I have a feeling it will be wet slushy stuff like sleet coming down. And as for Wednesday I'll have to go find the deckchairs. :D

Posted

Many places just edging above 0C now - in theory it should stay around the 0-1C mark for the next 48 hrs. One interesting observation on another site is that ground temperatures are still a couple of degrees below freezing while about 1m above the ground its -1C, 0C at 2m, and even at 3m its already +1C. The upper air itself (many many miles up and where the precip falls from) is now rapidly warming (somewhere between -5 and 0C) with some further warming happening tomorrow. It seems unlikely therefore that we would see much snow falling Monday night/Tuesday morning.

The 18z NAE still indicates a brief snow risk though.

Posted

Many places just edging above 0C now - in theory it should stay around the 0-1C mark for the next 48 hrs. One interesting observation on another site is that ground temperatures are still a couple of degrees below freezing while about 1m above the ground its -1C, 0C at 2m, and even at 3m its already +1C. The upper air itself (many many miles up and where the precip falls from) is now rapidly warming (somewhere between -5 and 0C) with some further warming happening tomorrow. It seems unlikely therefore that we would see much snow falling Monday night/Tuesday morning.

The 18z NAE still indicates a brief snow risk though.

Actually upper temps are currently around -3C and are set to remain at -3C until Tues afternoon.

Still -1C here with a DP of -1C also.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: anything extreme or intense !

Wooh! Did anyone just see the Countryfile Weather forcast?

For anyone else like me who missed it, here it is .....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C60_XHPAVAY

Posted

For anyone else like me who missed it, here it is .....

Thanks for that MKSA!

Posted

Well the latest beeb forecast still seems pretty confident of widespread snowfall starting early hours of tomorrow.

Anywhere from SE England up to NE could see up to 10cm!

If the milder air is coming in let's at least go out with a bang :-)

Posted

Had to double-take when I looked at the thermometer just now... it's +3c! I'm not expecting any accumulating snow overnight or tomorrow, more than likely it will be rain throughout here especially with temperatures around 2-4c.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow snow and snow

Tom 3C in Royston as well... which represents a ten day high!

Like you I'm pessimistic about snow....I think such as there may be will be confined to north of the Midlands

Posted

Meto and BBC forecasts going with widespread snowfall in our region later tonight into Tuesday morning and yet so much doubt on this forum that it will not materialise! Snow north of midlands etc.....

Could a member please explain why TV and meto say snow for me tonight and this forum does not?

I thought the ssE'y air flow was going to bring in lower dew points off France later today?

Posted

I thought the ssE'y air flow was going to bring in lower dew points off France later today?

Correct hence the warnings for snow. GFS 06z still suggests front will be largely rain but NAE 06z goes with a major snow event for all areas north of London. There is still clear indecision amongst the models but this is where a human forecast comes into its own. Listen out for the Met Office warnings which should be updated shortly and then you will have a better idea.

This is likely to be a nowcast/radar watch event.

Posted

Correct hence the warnings for snow. GFS 06z still suggests front will be largely rain but NAE 06z goes with a major snow event for all areas north of London. There is still clear indecision amongst the models but this is where a human forecast comes into its own. Listen out for the Met Office warnings which should be updated shortly and then you will have a better idea.

This is likely to be a nowcast/radar watch event.

The last line is very wise

I have to say it will be a very nice surprise now if we do get much in the way of snowfall - the NAE is clearly under-doing the dew points in particular. I guess we will see what happens once this initial front has cleared through, but i'd urge caution for anyone absolutely expecting snowfall at this stage south of the wash.

Longer term trends very much pointing to a reload though on a positive for anyone who hasn't had enough of the cold yet - models still a little slow to pick up on this at the moment

SK

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

It's going to be one of those wake up tomorrow morning and see things for me. I am not spending tonight watching the lamp post - or in my case shining a torch out of the window.

For a change, I'm glad to see the current precipitation missing me just to my north, as it's light rain. The dewpoint's is still 0° C but temperature's are just above freezing at 1.8° C

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Thunderstorms

Temps up to 3.8C in St Ives - I think we could see a wet snow event later if the PPN is heavy enough. My thinking is that we still have a dewpoint at -2.8 and air temps could fall close to freezing after dark....................that would do it!