Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

The Midlands - Cold Spell Discussion Part 20

Cookie

Posted

Having just looked at the latest GFS run... I think some areas of the Midlands could see light snow at the VERY start of the band overnight tonight/tomorrow morning, won't amount to anything IMO and it will be the most pointless snow event ever. Even if we get a dusting by 6am... Temps will be up to 6c by lunchtime so it will be absolutely pointless.

I have the same worry at the moment, I have a feeling the Heavy PPN is going to stall for a couple of hours to our West and by the time it moves East the Warm air will be catching up ... off to check to see what the 12z NAE thinks ..

Posted

The old NAE doesn't look as good this evening . Not showing any Snowfall Accu , and what it does show looks light and patchy before the rain moves in ...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extreme weather

Yes that's exactly how I imagine it to be too Chris - Mr Benn, I really wouldn't be worrying about taking a sickie, even if tehre is any significant snow, it won't stick around I don't think so travel home from work shouldn't be an issue.

I think we're likely to see patchy snow - hevier towards the southwest of the region.

Posted

Looks like quite a rotten day tomorrow to be honest.

As for any mild weather next week, at this of year, mild weather is no good to me unless it comes on a weekend. A mild breezy winters day walking the dog can be quite good!

Of course, mild weather only really becomes useful once the daylight is long enough for me to go and walk the dog out in the country in the evening, and I've got a bit of a wait for that.

Going back to tomorrow, I'm sure I'll be looking out of the window now and again and keeping an eye on whats happening, but no more than that,

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

Anyone who spends all of tonight tracking tomorrows event shouldnt bother. Bar a bit of light snow and perhaps a couple of cm tomorrow is a pointless, rotten day.

Any snow and accumulations more likely in the W Midlands though E Mids may see some but perhaps for a less amount of time.

My suggestion is watch anything but the weather because its anything but interesting right now over the next week or so.

Edited by Blizzards

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms

Anyone who spends all of tonight tracking tomorrows event should bother. Bar a bit of light snow and perhaps a couple of cm tomorrow is a pointless, rotten day.

Any snow and accumulations more likely in the W Midlands though E Mids may see some but perhaps for a less amount of time.

My suggestion is watch anything but the weather because its anything but interesting right now over the next week or so.

Agreed, a completely 'blink and you'll miss it' event.

I hate snow events in which the snow turns to rain after a few hours and it gets washed away, it's absolutely rubbish. Sure any snow is good if you are a snow lover but seeing it washed away just 2 hours after it fell is just horrible.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: SNOW..... THUNDERSTORMS

I hate snow events in which the snow turns to rain after a few hours and it gets washed away, it's absolutely rubbish. Sure any snow is good if you are a snow lover but seeing it washed away just 2 hours after it fell is just horrible.

hasnt there been events in the past that are suppose to change to rain quick but then stay at snow alot longer than predicted? i think maybe in 2007 from the south west?

Posted

hasnt there been events in the past that are suppose to change to rain quick but then stay at snow alot longer than predicted? i think maybe in 2007 from the south west?

I think there have been some events like that in the past but I think that Feb 2007 event was predicted to last a good few hours before turning to rain, I don't remember the models being wrong about that event but I might be wrong.

We will all know by this time tomorrow what will have happened, we could see a few surprises or we could see it all go to plan.

Posted

BBC at lunchtime said 5-6 hours of snow, I imagine the latest NAE might change the forecasts again though .

I think there have been some events like that in the past but I think that Feb 2007 event was predicted to last a good few hours before turning to rain, I don't remember the models being wrong about that event but I might be wrong.

We will all know by this time tomorrow what will have happened, we could see a few surprises or we could see it all go to plan.

be laughing my I have a problem off if it turns out to be an all rain event , you almost expect it deep down lol.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: SNOW..... THUNDERSTORMS

i mean no body really knows whats going to happen yet with surprises possible i dont no why people write it off before its started. i know its going to turn to rain but i would much rather see lots of snow first

Posted

There's always that chance of it happening of course, every event like this comes with that chance. There's also the chance it'll be all rain, (Dec 29th 2009, Dec 27th 2010). Like I said, I won't be radar watching tonight or tomorrow, just having a look out the window when I get the chance to see whats going on.

If its still snowing by late afternoon, then that would be a great surprise....but if its raining, well thats whats expected anyway and it'll mean we had good forecasts. If it rains all day, then that'll confirm just how tricky it is to get snow in these situations.

I'm sure we would all love a repeat of February 2007, and something like that will happen again in one of these events. The beauty is, we don't know which one it'll be! (Probably not for a few more yet though!)

Edited by Gord

Posted

I'm taking an absolute battering in the Welsh thread, gotta love it :rofl:

I'm only stating my opinion, doesn't mean i'm right, people can choose whether or not to listen to me or put me on ignore if they want to, if they don't like what I have to say then that's no problem :winky:

Posted

I'm only stating my opinion, doesn't mean i'm right, people can choose whether or not to listen to me or put me on ignore if they want to, if they don't like what I have to say then that's no problem :winky:

Wales stands a higher chance than us though Andy , Due to heavier PPN, The milder Air tending to go more to the East and the fact that most of wales is hilly.

Posted

Where's this battering then lol? a few negative likes that's all :)

Posted

Where's this battering then lol? a few negative likes that's all :)

It's not that, it's just the fact that if I make a comment that isn't what some of the people in there WANT to hear... I'm in trouble :winky:

Wales stands a higher chance than us though Andy , Due to heavier PPN, The milder Air tending to go more to the East and the fact that most of wales is hilly.

I know that Chris, I said I expect some areas to see a temporary covering but I don't personally see any significant or disruptive snow for the majority of Wales as the milder air will probably melt any coverings by midday.

Don't agree that any snow is good for a snow lover - I hate the wet slushy stuff but absolutely lurve the dry powdery stuff.

It's a bit like a music lover listening to an orchestra playing out of tune.

Posted

Not sure I like the negative likes, have they just been introduced? Worried they might give people the wrong message! (Now I wait for the negative likes to piling up on me!)

Anyway, back on topic, elevation will be key tomorrow...but we'll all get the same result in the end anyway...mild temps and rain....just some of us might take the longer and snowier road to get there.

Edited by Gord

Posted
  • Location: Sth Staffs/Shrops 105m/345' & NW Snowdonia 219m/719'
  • Location: Sth Staffs/Shrops 105m/345' & NW Snowdonia 219m/719'

I'm closer to the border than you Andy. I think I stil have a few old bricks in the garden out of Offas Dyke if you want to borrow one. :whistling: (just kidding).

I have to agree... I cant see the temps being right for prolonged snow here... prolonged sleet, at best, is probably as far as my optimism will stretch.

Edited by kar999

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

Up to no good again, I see.....So, how goes 'Operation Welsh Spam'?.......lol

Posted

Up to no good again, I see.....So, how goes 'Operation Welsh Spam'?.......lol

*Morphs himself into a Mod* *Turns himself into AJpoolshark, like the bad guy from Terminator 2 can*

POST DELETED, WHY BE SO BLATANTLY OFF-TOPIC? :w00t: :w00t:

On a Weather note... First signs of the PPN coming onto the radar now off the coast of Cornwall.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

any snow exceptionally short lived unless 300m+,low levels maybe a dusting before less cold air moves in, just hope its dry when less cold air moves in (and the rest of Jan) is dry. Mild weather is okay if its dry, mild Zonal for the rest of Jan, and certain to be a much milder January than last year

Posted

any snow exceptionally short lived unless 300m+,low levels maybe a dusting before less cold air moves in, just hope its dry when less cold air moves in (and the rest of Jan) is dry. Mild weather is okay if its dry, mild Zonal for the rest of Jan, and certain to be a much milder January than last year

Saying it will be mild for the rest of January is a very bold statement, almost as bold as echobase's hairstyle... :w00t:

It might turn colder towards the 2nd half of Jan, nothing is set in stone with the Weather over a week away.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Work... Cold but clear. Fun.. 12" of snow!

*Morphs himself into a Mod* *Turns himself into AJpoolshark, like the bad guy from Terminator 2 can*

POST DELETED, WHY BE SO BLATANTLY OFF-TOPIC? :w00t: :w00t:

On a Weather note... First signs of the PPN coming onto the radar now off the coast of Cornwall.

Welsh Spam....? Obviously a new frozen product! :whistling:

Temps dropped from 3.0 at 12pm to 1.2 now, just to stay on topic!:hi:

er...? Think you`ll find I`m bald not bold, Andy :drinks: !!

Edited by echobase

Posted

Welsh Spam....? Obviously a new frozen product! :whistling:

Temps dropped from 3.0 at 12pm to 1.2 now, just to stay on topic!:hi:

er...? Think you`ll find I`m bald not bold, Andy :drinks: !!

Yes, but I couldn't say Bold and then Bald because it wouldn't have had the same effect :winky:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

Welsh guys not too confident of snow at low levels, but fully agree any snow is better than nothing, temps not dropping because of cloudy skies, I feel clearing skies will increase snow chances