Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

South West England & Channel Islands - Cold Spell Discussion Part 16

dogs32

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow and summer heatwaves.

Well this is a very chilly day here working outside in grey cold and windy conditions. :good:

Not a snow grain in sight though :angry: although it was forecast for gloucester and wiltshire to be fair.

Doesn't look like much in the way of snow prospects in models for us in west country for the next couple of weeks which puts us into mid feb with spring hot on winters heels. :cray:

Although saying that An april event a few years back still ranks in at around 3/4th place for largest ever falls i remember with 10 inches.

Edited by mullender83

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow snow snow ..

Well this is a very chilly day here working outside in grey cold and windy conditions. :good:

Not a snow grain in sight though :angry: although it was forecast for gloucester and wiltshire to be fair.

Doesn't look like much in the way of snow prospects in models for us in west country for the next couple of weeks which puts us into mid feb with spring hot on winters heels. :cray:

Although saying that An april event a few years back still ranks in at around 3/4th place for largest ever falls i remember with 10 inches.

oooo i going in a caravan in wlaes with the family for easter lol oo be bit chilly... but how funny if it did snow lol

Posted

oooo i going in a caravan in wlaes with the family for easter lol oo be bit chilly... but how funny if it did snow lol

High ground above around 200m can easily get a white easter and in fact gets far more white easters than xmas's but by that time of year we are clutching at straws very often with sun strengh getting so high so I would rather one last pasting from the snow gods or as is the case for a few places our first pasting of the winter would be nice. :whistling::cc_confused:

By pasting I mean +2 inches.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and sunny or cold and snowy. Nothing inbetween.

Hi all, totally agree with the cold comments, I'm without a car atm, walking everywhere and I'm freezing! We had snow grains here today on the morning school run.

Posted

Well the model thread is all doom and gloom again today in fact going of the current outputs I would be inclined to say winter is gonna be a washout. :cc_confused:

Is it game over? I think it might be. :angry:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms in the summer, frost fog & snow in winter.

Hi all, totally agree with the cold comments, I'm without a car atm, walking everywhere and I'm freezing! We had snow grains here today on the morning school run.

Just goes to show the people on here a few weeks back that were saying the rest of january was going to be mild, well they got that completely wrong didn't they!

Absolutely freezing out there yesterday & today is the same, not seen any snow grains myself but I've seen reports of snow (snizzle lol) falling in the area.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold in winter, snow, frost but warm summers please

I doubt we will see snow this easter... its virtually in May it's so late.

Freezing again today, and very dry with it.

Edit: At 12:30 its still -2.1c!

Edited by Dartmoor_Matt

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, hot sunny weather

just been out for a long walk, Hempsted way and down by river, its so cold out. Some of the brooks I passed are frozen over.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and lots of it or warm and sunny, no mediocre dross

Evening peeps, just tidied up a lot of sniping posts in here.

If your post is deleted and you're not happy about it or want to know why, can I please ask that you PM any member of the team, we'll always find out why and get back to you. It really isn't helpful to send a thread down a moan fest in support of a deleted post or suggestions of power trips.

At times it's really quite difficult deciding where to draw the line with the banter type posts, yes, this thread is a lighter version of weather reports but it still has to stay on topic enough for folks to be able to get a general idea of regional weather happening/expected. To help with that aspect this year a chat function was added to the forum plus we also have the banter thread in the Lounge.

I know the chat thread hasn't really taken off and it can seem a bit pointless going in there if there's no one around but I don't think any one would object if posts were made in here saying "I'm off to the chat room, come and join me".

Posted

My god, I can't get warm! Current temp here is -1.1c, wind chill earlier down to -4.6 in gusts (prob more when I wasn't looking)

I haven't checked any websites today but Brian gaze was hinting on two last night at the possibility of a large storm next week (rain not snow I hasten to add). I hope not! February is normally our coldest/snowiest month I believe

Posted

3rd ice day in a row today, currently -2.1C with some snizzle.

:yawn:

Posted

I know most of you want snow..

But Im fed up with this cold...costing a fortune in heating bills..

Longest cold I can remember :wallbash:

dont get me wrong if we have snow I will enjoy it but cant see any on the horizon just yet.

Edited by dogs32

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm , not hot , Sun ,

I know most of you want snow..

But Im fed up with this cold...costing a fortune in heating bills..

Longest cold I can remember :wallbash:

dont get me wrong if we have snow I will enjoy it but cant see any on the horizon just yet.

yea im fed up with it as well , cant get out of it , the house is always chilled , even with the heating on , though a long way to go for the longest cold , rememebr last winter .the cold wind just went on and on .............

mild rain on the horizon soon .

Posted

yea im fed up with it as well , cant get out of it , the house is always chilled , even with the heating on , though a long way to go for the longest cold , rememebr last winter .the cold wind just went on and on .............

bring on the mild rain :w00t:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms :D

Well, I must say,

This thread is turning out to be full of grumpy members either fed-up because it hasn't snowed or not cold enough.There's also been a lot of snapping and sarcasm on here. . It's hard to moderate a thread like this when people are so miserable.

I don't want no funny replies to this either as I won't even see it.

For goodness sake people, enough of the bickering, sarcasm that is posted every now and then , remember this is purely a weather thread and as jethro and dogs has mentioned and myself there is always the chat room and other ways to discuss your day to day social life.

But one thing I can't tolerate is the sarcasism and yeah, you know who you are.

So lets please try and be civil to each other in the near future eh!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms in the summer, frost fog & snow in winter.

The models might be showing zonal but they don't show it lasting for long, latest models show the atlantic blowing itself out at about the 8-10 day range & HP becoming the dominate feature again.

Posted

SO andy you reckon last year was longer?

to me its this cold spell :whistling:

Posted

Very very quiet here. Im supprised the regional forums havent been closed. I havent posted for a while but this winter is going out on a wimper, we have Feb to come so lets hope for a sting in the tail.

Temps got down to -5 here last night which is impressive really.

Currently this winter cant be compared to last year IMBY, the lack of PPN during the cold spells really didnt help.

Posted

Currently this winter cant be compared to last year IMBY, the lack of PPN during the cold spells really didnt help.

Agreed. A pretty cold winter so far i would think, without quoting or knowing average temps as a whole. Since mid-Nov i reckon, in BTL, we've about 10 days of generally mild weather, about 3 to 4 weeks of near average and about 4 weeks of genuinely cold.

But apart from a couple of falls of snow in late Nov and later in December, plus that week of wet weather in mid-Jan it's been remarkably dry so far.

I just went back to Dogs' first post in this thread on 5th Jan and it basically wished good luck to those who had missed out on snow in late Nov and in Dec - well, it's remarkable we haven't really seen any since then. Having said that i was in Dartmouth for a 3-night break from Thursday thru' to Sunday morning this weekend just gone and it was snowing in Dartmouth Saturday late morning - at sea level!! Granted, only light stuff - it was also bitterly cold down there, and at sea level in Torcross on Friday lunchtime the car thermo was reading 2 celsius - pretty damned cold for the south coast.

I can just see this winter fizzling out (in terms of snow and snow potential) - something i 'feared' back in early Jan when i posted in here.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: action weather
:whistling: i hope this winter does not just fizzle out , i am hoping for atleast a good frontal event ,15 cms snow at minus 2c , ave wind speed 40miles an hour ,over 8 hrs . to affect all of our region . :cold: still plenty of time left.still cold out now , dogs bowl frozen over , jack daws sat next to chimneys giving of heat ,my wifes garden nome all cracked up , 4 pots in garden all broke ,plastic watering can disinterated ,i will get told off for that thats the second one i,v ruined . looking at charts it could be interesting if that cold in higher latitudes pays us a visit ,regards legritter .

Posted

Another bitter day here, albeit sllightly above freezing for the first time in 5 days! Temp last night was -8.7C, so I think its been a tad chilly.

Posted

Believe it or not tho, I believe this winter will go down in history as one of the coldest. It's the coldest I've ever known in my humble 29 years on this planet(!). I'm hoping that even if this year is over for us in terms of snowfall, the end of this year will bring the snow and cold back, plus a lovely warm summer so we can use our tent to it's full potential! Only used it the once so far

Posted

:whistling: i hope this winter does not just fizzle out , i am hoping for atleast a good frontal event ,15 cms snow at minus 2c , ave wind speed 40miles an hour ,over 8 hrs . to affect all of our region . :cold: still plenty of time left.still cold out now , dogs bowl frozen over , jack daws sat next to chimneys giving of heat ,my wifes garden nome all cracked up , 4 pots in garden all broke ,plastic watering can disinterated ,i will get told off for that thats the second one i,v ruined . looking at charts it could be interesting if that cold in higher latitudes pays us a visit ,regards legritter .

Problem is my friend we need some cold first to get a frontal event, and theres nothing to suggest any cold is on the way. Shame.