Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South West England & Channel Islands - Cold Spell Discussion Part 16

dogs32

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

america is having lots and lots of snow, its in the newyork area, and i always think what they get uk gets about a week later...heres hoping..

biggest weather fallacy ive ever heard, no truth whatsoever, if we get USA weather will be warm and windy with Atlantic air

Posted

biggest weather fallacy ive ever heard, no truth whatsoever, if we get USA weather will be warm and windy with Atlantic air

Agreed! Ranks alongside "It's too cold for snow!":wallbash:

Anyway another NW Civil War has broken out in the model disc thread this eve - and the usual suspects are involved. Seems like it's knife edge stuff re a shot at cold and snow next week - let's wait and see.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold in winter, snow, frost but warm summers please

It does sometimes work out, I can remember a few times when we have had snow about 2 weeks after the Eastern US ... but thats usually from a NW direction... the good stuff will be a battleground over us East vs West ;)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow snow snow ..

oooo sorry, i am a non weather exspert, who enjoys watching weather everywhere , and i noticed that it sometimes happened like that...

sorry for just saying :(

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms :D

oooo sorry, i am a non weather exspert, who enjoys watching weather everywhere , and i noticed that it sometimes happened like that...

No need to be sorry caz :) Each to their own. This is how we learn from others.

It'll be funny if you were right though lol. After all the British weather is very unpredictable.:)

Posted

Well while most still look for snow we currently have a stunning winter day with clear blue sky, bright sunshine and that's

after quite a sharp frost with some freezing fog first thing.

Posted

to be honest you have a [point...

not all,but some the time over the yrs this as happened :drinks:

so im with you on this

Edited by dogs32

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow and summer heatwaves.

Agreed! Ranks alongside "It's too cold for snow!":wallbash:

Anyway another NW Civil War has broken out in the model disc thread this eve - and the usual suspects are involved. Seems like it's knife edge stuff re a shot at cold and snow next week - let's wait and see.

The "too cold for snow" argument gets me into alot of arguments at work every year! you hear it all the time and it really gets to me! :help:;)

I went outside to enjoy the sunshine this morning but all was frozen solid so I went to wells for afternoon and I have to say its days like today that I think how nice it would be to live lower down so I could enjoy early warmth. 8)

Still all just hope casting from what I see in FI on the model front. :huh:

Posted

The "too cold for snow" argument gets me into alot of arguments at work every year! you hear it all the time and it really gets to me! :help:;)

I went outside to enjoy the sunshine this morning but all was frozen solid so I went to wells for afternoon and I have to say its days like today that I think how nice it would be to live lower down so I could enjoy early warmth. 8)

Still all just hope casting from what I see in FI on the model front. :huh:

Not sure it's a hopecasting scenario this time around - i reckon there's a better than 50% chance of cold and snow returning in 7-10 days time.

Model runs all over the place at the mo - that can sometimes mean a pattern change on its way - let's wait and see - by Friday i reckon we'll have a good idea either way about next week

Posted

Seem so strange how its been so cold beginning of winter now its milder and a possible return to colder weather by the end of the month.

Posted

Not sure it's a hopecasting scenario this time around - i reckon there's a better than 50% chance of cold and snow returning in 7-10 days time.

Model runs all over the place at the mo - that can sometimes mean a pattern change on its way - let's wait and see - by Friday i reckon we'll have a good idea either way about next week

Hey it is looking alright ish but after decembers lack of snow (not everyone) I remain a doubting Thomas (my name) :whistling: until 48 hours before hand this time around.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and lots of it or warm and sunny, no mediocre dross

Not sure I want the carpet of Aconites and Snowdrops to be buried under snow though; Snowdrops are my favourite flower, look forward all winter to them coming out, don't want them covered.

Posted

Not sure I want the carpet of Aconites and Snowdrops to be buried under snow though; Snowdrops are my favourite flower, look forward all winter to them coming out, don't want them covered.

They can cope with a covering anyway so don't worry too much! snow does more damage to dafs in flower.

Can't see much coming our way though at moment. :wallbash: It all seems to be "if" and "maybe" for northern and eastern districts at the moment so to get snow down to the west country is a bit far fetched at moment I think.

Might have to wait until mid march onwards for some home grown convective shower activity to get our snow now.

Edited by mullender83

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: action weather
:whistling: just had a look around different weather sites and yes it does look about 50 50 for a cold shot next week . fridays charts i think will give us a better idea .i wonder if someone can help me out on an astronomy question . i posted the question in one of the science forums last week , but it disapeared or was removed .please could someone tell me which forum to post it in .i will be back on line mid even . regards :crazy::yahoo:

Posted

Did I hear tricky dicky right at lunch time? I think he said maybe snow flurries next week :whistling:

Posted

Did I hear tricky dicky right at lunch time? I think he said maybe snow flurries next week :whistling:

Someone said he also said no more rain for Glos this afternoon and it's peeing down now. :lol:

But I don't think there's any doubt it's going to get colder? How cold is still to be decided.

Posted

He never, never said snow flurries!

Just scattered wintry showers were shown for Monday and 4c the max temp. And he said the colder air

would not be persisting.

And that was on both the lunchtime and evening forecasts.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms in the summer, frost fog & snow in winter.

I see the ECM was an absolute peach this evening, kinda out on it's own at the moment but it just goes to show how very small differences means big changes to what kind of weather we see in our patch. Considering even the weather models aren't sure about what will happen next week, it would be a brave call, and a foolish one in my view, for anyone to predict whether next week will be cold or mild, I'm just gonna sit back and watch it unfold.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and sunny or cold and snowy. Nothing inbetween.

Hmmm, weather advisory for our region Monday...

Posted

Hmmm, weather advisory for our region Monday...

I would not pay any attention to that as it is for western coastal areas and those above 200m. I would be more hopeful if it covered a few more counties but I think it will be a coastal hit and miss.

Somerset is in warning because of exmoor being on the coast ect but id expect most of somerset will stay bone dry. :rolleyes: Anyway that will get removed before monday.. :good:

I really think this feb is gonna be another mild pants excuse of a winter month again. :cray: only 17 days of mild winter left.

Edited by mullender83

Posted

hmmmm I won't say a word.... :whistling:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow snow snow ..

gonna be keeping an eye on this, as i was laughed at the other day lol could come and bite you on the bum :)

Posted

OK with winter seemingly all but over by the looks of things now (bar a bit of a flimsy attempt next week) the question on my mind is the last month or so just a blip in what seemed like the return to colder winters or was 2010 and parts of winter 2009 just a blip in the mild winters of the previous 10-15 years? You see alot of stuff about low solar activity etc and the likelihood of another cold winter next year and beyond but I guess no one really knows, only time will tell!

Posted

hmmmm I won't say a word.... :whistling:

Ok I will.

Time to close the thread until next Winter :lol:

To all on here - have a great Spring and Summer, stay healthy, have fun and don't take life too seriously - see you next Winter :hi:

Regards BB

P.S. Mullender - myself and the wife will be passing thru' Gurney Slade next Saturday morning on our way to Wincanton Races :drinks:

Posted

Ok I will.

Time to close the thread until next Winter :lol:

To all on here - have a great Spring and Summer, stay healthy, have fun and don't take life too seriously - see you next Winter :hi:

Regards BB

P.S. Mullender - myself and the wife will be passing thru' Gurney Slade next Saturday morning on our way to Wincanton Races :drinks:

I hope it is not foggy for you as you pass through my neck of the woods as that seems to be the most common weather type here lol.

As you drive through gurney slade you should wave to me through pub window... :drinks:

P.S. Don't break down anywhere near the villiage Im sure you have seen the film deliverence............ :ph34r: :help: :lol: