Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Arizona Desert Monsoon Chasing

Paul Sherman

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Stormy...

Hi all

just a quick thought before it's too late is there anything that we may wish pack to

apart from the normal stormchase gear.

paul h

Hi Paul, I'm not sure what your normal chase gear is, but in addition to mine, I'm taking some loose light clothing rather than fleeces, hiking boots and a swimming costume (wallbash.gifhelp.gifwallbash.gifhelp.gif) in addition to having a leg wax (more applicable to the Girlies!!) I'm not bothering with camelbaks etc

Edited by duckeyh

Posted

Hiya guys, the only extra thing I'm taking is a black light torch to do some scorpian hunting :shok:

Quiet day in Arizona today, just the 19500 lightning strikes so far !! :clap::yahoo:

http://www.weatherbus.com/light.php

I knew I'd forgotten something...I'll be sticking close to you !! Re the lightening , I like those odds !

Edited by duckeyh

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Outdoors

A mild and comfortable 46 celsius in Arizona yesterday, forget sun cream, take a burqa or two!!

Posted

A mild and comfortable 46 celsius in Arizona yesterday, forget sun cream, take a burqa or two!!

...AZ... ISOLATED TO WIDELY SCATTERED TSTMS SHOULD PERSIST FOR ANOTHER FEW HOURS ACROSS THIS REGION...AMIDST PRE-STORM SFC TEMPS UPPER 90S TO LOW 100S F AND DEW POINTS 50S OVER LOWER ELEVATIONS. 00Z TUS RAOB AND MODIFIED MODEL SOUNDINGS EACH INDICATE POTENTIAL FOR ISOLATED STG-SVR GUSTS WITH MOST INTENSE DOWNDRAFTS...GIVEN DEEP/WELL-MIXED SUB CLOUD LAYERS AND POTENTIAL FOR EVAPORATIVE COOLING/ACCELERATION ON STORM SCALE

In summary : Toasty with lots of flashes and bangs yahoo.gifyahoo.gif

Edited by duckeyh

Posted

Hiya guys, the only extra thing I'm taking is a black light torch to do some scorpian hunting :shok:

i took one with me on stormchase 2 didn't find any scorpions, but it did show up how good the hotel cleaners were

other insects including some spiders and moths seemed to fluoresce quite well

Posted

Readers of this thread take note, there will be a second "set of eyes" in the region, we're taking our holidays in southern Utah overlapping the Arizona storm chase, and hope to post scenery and cloud photos within a day or two of when they're taken ... our visit is scheduled for August 18-23. In the past week there have been daily storms over the proposed target area which is basically all the national parks in southern Utah. We may get into the north rim of the Grand Canyon depending on how the weather actually works out. Paul, I will PM you our cell number in case your planning takes you into that part of the country.

Elevations in southern Utah are generally between 1500 and 3000 metres and this means daytime temperatures are in the range of 25-35 C, the exceptions being the southwest corner around St George and parts of the southeast which are lower and get closer to 40 C. We're probably going to base ourselves in Escalante UT and make day trips from there with one eye on the weather, but it seems that all of the parks get roughly the same sort of afternoon and evening activity since they are all fairly similar in topography (higher parts of a plateau with a couple of north-south mountain ranges nearby).

Best wishes to all who are heading over for the chase.

Posted

Cheers Roger, hope you have a great time, maybe see you over there!

Btw, will there be a new thread for the trip or will it go down as chase day 44 on the 17th ?

Posted

Was tlking to my cousin who only moved to phoenix a few weeks ago with work. TOld him i could of met up over there if i had gone on this tour thats how close he is! ha

heres wat he said...

" Yep, we have had thunder storms almost every night this week, monsoon rain and lightening shows! (and yep its constantly in the 40s...)"

Lucky telephone boxers whoever is going! :)

Posted

Hi Craig

We will start daily Picture threads, wont be as much interaction on Discussion threads due to no Internet connection on the road, But the trusty Barons will work there (Tried and Tested in 2008)

Been chatting with Susan Strom again on Fb and this Season is going down as one of the best in recent years, cant wait

Paul S

Posted

Hi all

Took a peek at the weather channel 10day outlook looks like it will quite period this coming week then ramping up again next weekend just in time for our arriival

It's going to be a long week with a lot of. Watching of the forecast and how flights are doing.

Paul h

Posted

Hi all

Took a peek at the weather channel 10day outlook looks like it will quite period this coming week then ramping up again next weekend just in time for our arriival

It's going to be a long week with a lot of. Watching of the forecast and how flights are doing.

Paul h

Hey Paul, It''s certainly going to be an interesting week with the increased threat level on the Cleveland Volcano in Alaska as well but the show should be worth it

Edited by duckeyh

Posted

Hi Craig

We will start daily Picture threads, wont be as much interaction on Discussion threads due to no Internet connection on the road, But the trusty Barons will work there (Tried and Tested in 2008)

Been chatting with Susan Strom again on Fb and this Season is going down as one of the best in recent years, cant wait

Paul S

Cheers Paul,

I was wondering how the monsoon season was being perceived over there, been keeping an eye on Susans thread on stormtrack and it has been very quiet, was hoping there would be more reports and pics on there, maybe they've been too busy chasing to update it?

Posted

Cheers Paul,

I was wondering how the monsoon season was being perceived over there, been keeping an eye on Susans thread on stormtrack and it has been very quiet, was hoping there would be more reports and pics on there, maybe they've been too busy chasing to update it?

Unfortunately Craig Stormtrack is all but finished with 95% of the Posters having left the Site for a new Forum, GPSPete gave me the Link but unfortunately my kids wiped it off my Facebook account Lol

There are some great pictures floating about though from this Season

Paul

Posted

Cheers Paul,

Hi Craig , do you have a link to Susan's thread ? The hot temperatures seem to dominate most of the monsoon chatter I've read, followed by the dust storms or they are full of excitement over the monsoon season bringing wet storms rather than just dry lightening .

Hopefully AZ is just being kind and saving the best for us

Posted

Hi Claire, here's the link

http://www.stormtrack.org/forum/showthread.php?17573-FAQ-Chasing-the-Southwestern-Monsoon

Can't answer your question as no-one is on there talking about it sadly, last post was on the 25th July :nonono:

As Paul said not a popular site atm, not found any others discussing it yet, if anyone can point us in the right direction please feel free :good:

Posted

I think if I lived in Phoenix and came to the UK for a holiday I'd be wearing winter woolies, it is warm there well over the ton for the next week :(

Max said unless there aircon 24/7 she aint goin

Edited by Dorsetbred

Posted

Unfortunately Craig Stormtrack is all but finished with 95% of the Posters having left the Site for a new Forum, GPSPete gave me the Link but unfortunately my kids wiped it off my Facebook account Lol

There are some great pictures floating about though from this Season

Paul

the link is http://www.chasersforum.com/forum.php

the full membership criteria for anyone in UK is going to be quite difficult to achieve even for most US chasers also i suspect this forum will die as it is still not well supported (i don't know where the 95%

have gone but after spending several months searching the web and only finding some new local 1 state/city forums (like 10 members ha) i have found nothing)

as the main part of the forecast and chase part is locked down to those that meet the full membership criteria which is the part that everyone wants and limiting it too an elite few

is never going to make it as good as Stormtrack

Edited by gpspete

Posted

HI all

i just checking over my flight details and one thing that is concerning me is conection times in dallas

my question is how long does it take to get through customs at dallas as we only have 1 1/2 hrs to change planes and walk across the terminal to the other side and american airlines have not been on time lately. but at least there are another 3 flights if we miss that connection.

Edited by the storm fisherman

Posted

HI all

i just checking over my flight details and one thing that is concerning me is conection times in dallas

my question is how long does it take to get through customs at dallas as we only have 1 1/2 hrs to change planes and walk across the terminal to the other side and american airlines have not been on time lately. but at least there are another 3 flights if we miss that connection.

Hi Paul, if you miss the connection through delays outside of your control AA should arrange for you to catch the next connecting flight but it may be worth letting the Air Attendant know if the flight is running late. Regarding Immigration, I suspect you will get off and walk through to connecting flights so you may do that bit at Phoenix. Also your bags will probably be sent straight though to your internal flight, so at least that's one less thing to think about!!

Either way DFW is easy to navigate and there is a sky train that runs around the airport, You also have the added advantage of Craig being there who should be reasonabiliy familiar as this is the airport we use on the stormchase tours

My experience is that US airports are generally well oiled machines so don't think you would have too much to worry about

See you soon,

Claire

Hi Claire, here's the link

http://www.stormtrac...western-Monsoon

Can't answer your question as no-one is on there talking about it sadly, last post was on the 25th July :nonono:

As Paul said not a popular site atm, not found any others discussing it yet, if anyone can point us in the right direction please feel free :good:

Ta good.gif

Edited by duckeyh

Posted
Posted · Hidden by duckeyh, August 7, 2011 - none
Hidden by duckeyh, August 7, 2011 - none

Hi Paul, it sounds a little tight but if you miss the connection through delays outside of your control AA should arrange for you to catch the next available connecting flight but it may be worth letting the Air Attendant know if the flight is running late.

Regarding Immigration, I suspect you will get off and walk through to connecting flights so you may do that bit at Phoenix. Also your bags will probably be sent straight though to your internal flight, so at least that's one less thing to think about!! Either way DFW is easy to navigate and there is a sky train that runs around the airport, You also have the added advantage of Craig being there who should be reasonabiliy familiar as this is the airport we use on the stormchase tours

My experience is that US airports are generally well oiled machines so don't think you would have too much to worry about

See you soon,

Claire

Ta good.gif

Posted

Hi Paul, if you miss the connection through delays outside of your control AA should arrange for you to catch the next connecting flight but it may be worth letting the Air Attendant know if the flight is running late. Regarding Immigration, I suspect you will get off and walk through to connecting flights so you may do that bit at Phoenix. Also your bags will probably be sent straight though to your internal flight, so at least that's one less thing to think about!!

Either way DFW is easy to navigate and there is a sky train that runs around the airport, You also have the added advantage of Craig being there who should be reasonabiliy familiar as this is the airport we use on the stormchase tours

See you soon,

Claire

Ta good.gif

hi claire

i forget that craig has exprience of this airport

all the times i have flown to the usa you have to clear border control at the entry airport ie dallas not the final one and you have to collect your bags and walk through customs and put it back on the conver belt the the other side of customs

so unless there is plenty of connection time i will always aviod airports like chicago or new york etc.

paul h.

Posted

hi claire

i forget that craig has exprience of this airport

all the times i have flown to the usa you have to clear border control at the entry airport ie dallas not the final one and you have to collect your bags and walk through customs and put it back on the conver belt the the other side of customs

so unless there is plenty of connection time i will always aviod airports like chicago or new york etc.

paul h.

h

Hi , Sorry if the info was wrong but I was told this when I asked a former colleague about connecting flights in the US. Either way DFW is probably one of the better airports and as you say there are later connections